Widgets Magazine

Thread: KOCO to debut its new studio tomorrow

Default KOCO to debut its new studio tomorrow

Default Re: KOCO to debut its new studio tomorrow

I hate it. I mean really, REALLY hate it. I don't know how much money they spent on all those large screens, but they seriously couldn't spend a couple more bucks to not have the huge distracting gaps between them?

I just wish I could pick up their signal with an antenna.

I like the new look a lot. I dont mind the gaps at all. It's a lot more interactive.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I hate it. I mean really, REALLY hate it. I don't know how much money they spent on all those large screens, but they seriously couldn't spend a couple more bucks to not have the huge distracting gaps between them?
    I like KOCO's new set better than KFOR's.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I just wish I could pick up their signal with an antenna.
    Don't know where you come from, but I have no trouble picking up KOCO in Stillwater with an indoor antenna with a 5 to 7 out of 10 on the set's signal strength meter. However, it took an amp to make sure the picture hardly ever drops out.

I'm in Moore and I've never been able to pick it up reliably OTA. Sometimes I can fiddle around and get it to come up, but it usually doesn't last very long. Granted, I only use a cheapish indoor antenna.

I like the new studio, it's a nice change.

I know the southerly direction of their signal used to be not good. My son lived in Norman for school and they couldn't get ABC over the air near the campus.

I agree...I very much like the new look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Don't know where you come from, but I have no trouble picking up KOCO in Stillwater with an indoor antenna with a 5 to 7 out of 10 on the set's signal strength meter. However, it took an amp to make sure the picture hardly ever drops out.
    NW side of OKC near the turnpike. When I first started using the OTA antenna, I could pick it up no problem. No such luck in the past 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I'm in Moore and I've never been able to pick it up reliably OTA. Sometimes I can fiddle around and get it to come up, but it usually doesn't last very long. Granted, I only use a cheapish indoor antenna.
    I was always able to reliably in south Norman (essentially Noble). Indoor antenna (one of those amplified Mohu Leafs). Sometimes they're on sale for $29 (or maybe $39). I have been really impressed with the performance of mine.

I'm very pleased people are liking the new look, but my initial impression hasn't changed. Especially when held up against 4's new set. I'm curious, what specifically are people liking about 5's new look?

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I'm very pleased people are liking the new look, but my initial impression hasn't changed. Especially when held up against 4's new set. I'm curious, what specifically are people liking about 5's new look?
    The backdrops of Oklahoma City scenes, like downtown.

I haven't seen the studio and I won't see the studio until Jessica Shambaugh is gone. She was really rude to me one night when I asked why there was severe weather coverage for a storm outside of the OKC viewing area during an episode of LOST. Needless to say I've never cared one iota for KOCO News since...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I haven't seen the studio and I won't see the studio until Jessica Shambaugh is gone. She was really rude to me one night when I asked why there was severe weather coverage for a storm outside of the OKC viewing area during an episode of LOST. Needless to say I've never cared one iota for KOCO News since...
    Maybe because OKC covers storms for everywhere in the state except the Tulsa area?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Maybe because OKC covers storms for everywhere in the state except the Tulsa area?
    They were east of Tulsa that night...

It's not a problem unique to channel 5. I'm still mad at Mike Morgan for making me miss (ooo, alliteration!) the first few minutes of the final episode of Quantum Leap when it originally aired to inform everyone of a minor storm system that knocked down a barn in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma, and that this was outside the channel 4 viewing area, and not moving this way, "nobody in our viewing area is affected". Yeah. Thanks. If I recall correctly, it was in the panhandle (which gets local TV from Amarillo, of course) and moving northeast.

Unfortunately, whenever anyone calls them out on it, the answer is "we cover storms everywhere", "maybe our viewers know people in that area and are concerned", and of course the ever-popular "we prefer to err on the side of caution". I'm all about erring on the side of caution, but when this comes out of the mouth of a man who said get on the road and head South, then people on the road are trapped by the very storm he said to flee, it just rings a bit hollow.

Along these same lines, when there's a thunderstorm in one or two counties in some far, remote area of Oklahoma, no need to put a map of the entire state up and block our TV show.

What's worse is when they have the map with T-Storm Warning, T-Storm Watch underneath it which pushes the map higher into the screen and covers up more of the picture. Sometimes they also include Flash Flood Warning to it and then when it's really bad they add a crawl across the screen as well. This covers up major portions of my TV show, all for a couple of counties that probably don't even receive the station.

^^ Yep, and all of them have gotten really bad at cutting in and doing extended coverage over simple rain with a little lightning and thunder. And they have to include reports from all their storm chasers with live footage of wet streets. Like we're all too stupid to figure it on our own, which is what they want. They want you to be dependant on them.

Hell, when hurricane Harvey hit southeast Texas, channel 9 had to send the big gun Kelly Ogle to go down there to stand in the rain for a week to tell us how bad it was. As if reports from Gulf area affiliates weren't good enough. I hope he hasn't unpacked yet because he should be jumping a plane to Florida about now.

Thread Information