Widgets Magazine

Thread: NW Expressway and May

Default NW Expressway and May

Long overdue for this intersection to be redesigned.

https://freepressokc.com/groundbreak...fix-in-nw-okc/

Default Re: NW Expressway and May

They still haven't decided on the exact design, with several options being considered.

The article talked about either a double roundabout or a diverging diamond interchange. Do we have any diverging diamond interchanges in the metro?

Is I40 & Morgan one?

5. Default Re: NW Expressway and May

This looks really cool, being innovative with traffic control. I have heard about the diverging diamond before, very interesting concept. Roundabouts work well once people get used to them, at least the larger ones (small ones can be a bit tricky).

I am worried about it here, as I have noticed OKC drivers are among the worst of anywhere I lived (no offense, but seeing a light turn from yellow to red doesn't mean go faster through the intersection) and to be introduced to something new like this...

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The article talked about either a double roundabout or a diverging diamond interchange. Do we have any diverging diamond interchanges in the metro?
    None in the metro, and only two in the state that I know of - one in Tulsa and one in Elk City.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_RN View Post
    Is I40 & Morgan one?
    That's a SPUI - single point urban interchange.

7. Default Re: NW Expressway and May

Based on the article, no... "Both are relatively recent, modern designs considered groundbreaking and innovative upon their first adoptions, and either one would be a first for Oklahoma City."

The double round abouts would be a little less confusing seeing as we have several of those already in the metro, but I feel like the diverging diamond interchange makes more sense for the location, especially with the speeds coming off of and on to Expressway.

9. Default Re: NW Expressway and May

Quote Originally Posted by bamarsha View Post
    This looks really cool, being innovative with traffic control. I have heard about the diverging diamond before, very interesting concept. Roundabouts work well once people get used to them, at least the larger ones (small ones can be a bit tricky).

I am worried about it here, as I have noticed OKC drivers are among the worst of anywhere I lived (no offense, but seeing a light turn from yellow to red doesn't mean go faster through the intersection) and to be introduced to something new like this...
    Try driving in central Florida. Omg. Way worse.

But as I use this intersection everyday to go from N. May SB to NW Expwy EB, I would love to see it work more smoothly. I have to call constantly to have junk hauled off by the city underneath the overpasses, so perhaps a redesign will take those spots away for homeless activity as well. A double roundabout certainly would!

What does this have to do with Northwest Expressway and May?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What does this have to do with Northwest Expressway and May?
    Read the article. It is a thread about the rebuild of the May Avenue bridge over NW Expressway. Not sure how to make it clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    None in the metro, and only two in the state that I know of - one in Tulsa and one in Elk City.

That's a SPUI - single point urban interchange.
    This one in Tulsa works very well. Driving up to it the first time it looks weird but it's very easy to understand. I love traffic circles but this doesn't confuse small town drivers.
    https://www.fox23.com/news/tulsas-fi...8bc33a084.html

Read the article. It is a thread about the rebuild of the May Avenue bridge over NW Expressway. Not sure how to make it clearer.
    Gotcha. This seems like overkill for May Avenue. A simple tight diamond interchange seems more than efficient. This might be a first. I’ve yet to see a DDI built over a limited access Expressway for a local arterial Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Gotcha. This seems like overkill for May Avenue. A simple tight diamond interchange seems more than efficient. This might be a first. I’ve yet to see a DDI built over a limited access Expressway for a local arterial Street.
    True. They are having to rebuild the bridge and the access most ways except north and south and very difficult (trying to view while merging) so something like this here would make sense.

Thread Information