Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

1. Default OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Hi everyone.

I wanted to make sure you all were aware that OKC now has a "sticky" for development going on on the skyscraperpage forum.

Oklahoma City Update - SkyscraperPage Forum

I think there is also a Highrise Development thread but it looks like it will take a back seat to this one if it hasn't already.

Please go and support it as it is a great place to get a "national" prospective on OKC's development (and other cities) AND also another avenue to get exposure and inform a wider audience about Oklahoma City in general.

I usually take a minute or two when Im surfing to visit skyscraperpage and skyscrapercity since it is more national/global and I follow a few other cities. I hope you all will do the same, in addition to the wonderful local focus which we have here (and OKMet).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Very cool thread there...Putting all the developments together really shows how much big time construction is already underway or on the way in the metro

3. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

We still come off kind of small-time compared to all the highrise construction in Austin and San Antonio.

Smile Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

OK. In that vein, are we(OKC) really on the verge of some new high-rise construction? I keep reading on here and hearing that new high-rise construction is just around the corner. Well, when do we begin to hear or see this materialize? This whole metro area is booming with growth and construction, but I have to believe that is happening in most all metro areas around the country. Maybe I'm wrong, I have no way of really knowing. I spend time on Skyscrapercity.com, and there is an explosion of high-rise construction going on worldwide. Everywhere but here(OKC) it seems. Is it really going to happen here, or are we just fooling ourselves? Like others on here, I believe a new magnificent, signature tower would do wonders for our image, both inside and outside the community.

5. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Well, there is nothing small scale about our development thread on SSC that I've been maintaining. It is definitely one of the better ones that there are.

I refuse to go to SSP anymore due to a few of the Texass members over there.

6. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

I'm not talking about the amount of posts or whatever, but the actual projects that we have going up.

7. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Well the SSC thread has 325 posts and 22,274 views.

8. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Okay, but that's not what I'm talking about.

9. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

I know what you were talking about. The actual projects discussed in the thread. But I can't help there since there is no way my browser will feature a SkyscraperPage.com url.

10. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

We need a few new skyscrapers! We are lacking:

Diagrams - SkyscraperPage.com?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    We need a few new skyscrapers! We are lacking:

Diagrams - SkyscraperPage.com?
    Yes I think its high time for OKC to get a new skyscraper but I don't think it something that needs to happen now. I noticed this while being down in Houston this summer. For all the nice mid rise buildings going up in the suburban areas and the already impressive skyline, there's only been one major skyline-altering building added here: the old Enron Headquarters, and we all know how that went down. Same with Dallas and to a lesser extent Tulsa. I think they suffer the same afflicition as OKC: too much office space built during the oil boom that is only now being filled up. And I was looking at some of these cities on Skyscraper forum and I can tell you knowing their economic performance at least half those areas have no business putting up anything less than a third rate office park. Personally I would love to see a new building but not at the expense of ruining the office market downtown. As all things I think it will come in due time.

12. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

That's why it needs to be a residential tower.

How cool would it be to live in THE signature tower of OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    That's why it needs to be a residential tower.

How cool would it be to live in THE signature tower of OKC?
    I agree. Maybe a mixed use tower with a hotel, some condos, and maybe a little commercial office space but nothing that would overwhelm the market.

I think they are currently doing something like this in Baton Rouge LA (Riverplace , river something?) It may be all condos but I read something that said a hotel was in it also. Also I think Victory Tower and the Cresent in Dallas have a similar format. This could be a very realistic, viable possibility for OKC

14. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I think they are currently doing something like this in Baton Rouge LA (Riverplace , river something?)
    !!!!

What is wrong with us. If Baton Rouge can get a condo tower, I repeat, what is wrong with us????

15. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    !!!!

What is wrong with us. If Baton Rouge can get a condo tower, I repeat, what is wrong with us????
    Yeaaaah I'm going to have to agree with jbrown on this. Baton Rouge is literally half the size of OKC and in a state with a wiped out economy. Smaller cities are getting residential towers in poor economies, so why aren't we?

Argh! Grand Rapids, Pasadena, Texas, Jacksonville, Hoboken, New Jersey, and Lansing are all getting towers. Michigan! Their economy is terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralMourning View Post
    Yeaaaah I'm going to have to agree with jbrown on this. Baton Rouge is literally half the size of OKC and in a state with a wiped out economy. Smaller cities are getting residential towers in poor economies, so why aren't we?
    Hey don't knock Baton Rouge too bad. They have a lot going for them right now with LSU, and I hate to say this but with New Orleans struggling right now I can image a ton of capital that would be destined for NO is going there instead. Check out their website:

RiverPlace Condominiums | Living High Above It All

ACTUALLY, I brought up Baton Rouge in the first place because I found out this morning that the company I'm interning for is taking us to Baton Rouge to do some field work sometime after the 4th of July. I may see if I can get some pics, but I'm sure you can go on Urban Planet or something and see some progress pics. I'm sure some civic booster down there has plastered them all over the internet.

Not to mention Baton Rouge's population almost doubled overnight after Katrina. The demand soared well over the supply, thus creating a huge need. And as someone said, alot of the money intended for N.O. is being spent in Baton Rouge.

18. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Someone brought up Dallas as an example of what our problem is...

I believe they have more proposed skyscrapers right now than we have skyscrapers period. So......

19. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

That is exactly what we need on the Galleria site overlooking Myriad Gardens.

20. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

The funny thing is that it's not many units, would hardly put a dent in demand here.

21. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

But it would be THE place to live and they might actually get the prices they're asking on stuff like the Centennial.

22. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Well no downtown real estate project that gets in early on the action is not going to fetch the prices its asking for. For now at least. I know you of course know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well no downtown real estate project that gets in early on the action is not going to fetch the prices its asking for. For now at least. I know you of course know this.
    Hey Spartan...What kind of odds you laying on Devon building a tower within the next 5-10 years??

24. Default Re: OKC Update, on Skyscraperpage Forum

Professionally, I wouldn't bet a lot on it.

Thread Information