Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

Default Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

Default Re: Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

To correct myself (and the title of this thread), I believe the sculpture is actually called
    "Where The Earth And The Sky Meet"

Default Re: Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

This is amazingly cool.

The downtown area just got a little more interesting. Practically a guaranteed photo op for tourists (and locals too, really).

Nice!!

Love it.

That is frickin amazing! Wow!

6. Default Re: Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

I actually looked at the Red Earth meets Blue Sky monument today, without knowing the explanation of what it was. Looking from the street in front of the library on Hudson, from that vantage point, I wasn't one bit impressed. I did like the large clock structure MUCH better. Except for the clock, I wanted the old park back. Hopefully, it will impress me more when it's lit up internally at night. I guess I'm not an abstractionist!

Looks like a mall sculpture from the pics. I'll go see it before I pass my real initial judgement. I kind of think it would have worked better if it was a kinetic sculpture.

HangryHippo Guest

Based on the pictures provided, that looks really great. I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    I actually looked at the Red Earth meets Blue Sky monument today, without knowing the explanation of what it was. Looking from the street in front of the library on Hudson, from that vantage point, I wasn't one bit impressed. I did like the large clock structure MUCH better. Except for the clock, I wanted the old park back. Hopefully, it will impress me more when it's lit up internally at night. I guess I'm not an abstractionist!
    Sorry John, but you're telling on yourself.....

I think this is very creative.

okc.gov has a blurb on it:
    Steel sculpture, “Where the Earth and the Sky Meet,” installed at City Hall

"The artwork, which is made of powder-coated steel and mirror polished stainless steel..."

Sounds durable. But I'm not a materials expert, to say the least. Hopefully it will stay good year after year in the harsh Oklahoma environment -- i.e. the red stays red and the blue stays blue.

i'll have to go check that out in person... i think i like it.

It looked to me as though the blue was reflecting the current sky color - is that accurate? That would mean it would change with the light. I thought it was pretty and will take a trip to check it out, in person. Thanks for the photos.

I make art quilts and the color transition in the sculpture is much like what happens with certain textile pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    It looked to me as though the blue was reflecting the current sky color - is that accurate? That would mean it would change with the light.
    Yes, I believe you're right. Only the red part is colored, the upper part is just polished mirrors.

This pic makes it clearer:

Here you can see that some of the polished pieces near the middle/bottom are reflecting greenery (trees) around the piece.

As such, this sculpture should be dynamic, both temporaly -- different shades/coloration at different times of the day, but also spatially as you walk around it and the reflections bounce about and change. But that last effect is probably only prominent if you're fairly close. I'm just going to have to see it for myself to really get a good idea.

15. Default Re: Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

I dig it. Perfect symbolism.

For some reason I have the urge to play Jenga...

Looks like an interesting sculpture.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    This pic makes it clearer:

Here you can see that some of the polished pieces near the middle/bottom are reflecting greenery (trees) around the piece.

As such, this sculpture should be dynamic, both temporaly -- different shades/coloration at different times of the day, but also spatially as you walk around it and the reflections bounce about and change. But that last effect is probably only prominent if you're fairly close. I'm just going to have to see it for myself to really get a good idea.
    Love the setting sun color phase. It almost reverses the earlier values.

That's pretty awesome looking, I like it.

It looks like they have something buried to it, I suppose electrical, in the first pic. Anyone know if there is a lighting effect ?

20. Default Re: Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

I like it. By the way, it's probably not art unless someone hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I like it. By the way, it's probably not art unless someone hates it.
    Well crap - can't be called art because of me. I like it a lot.

22. Default Re: Where Red Earth Meets Blue Sky - new sculpture in front of City Hall

That's cool. Hopefully more people love it than hate it. But if it's not stirring emotion it's not doing its job.

I like it as well. Hopefully I can see it during my vist to Oklahoma in Dec

Awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It looks like they have something buried to it, I suppose electrical, in the first pic. Anyone know if there is a lighting effect ?
    If not already in place there will be lighting set up for this piece.

Thread Information