Widgets Magazine

Thread: 10 people running for Ward 8

Patrick Guest

Default 10 people running for Ward 8

I'm impressed....10 people are running for Guy Liebmann's old spot on the horseshoe. I guess there's a lot more interest in local politics now! Thanks MAPS! I have no clue who any of those people are, except for Lou Barlow. I'm not in that Ward, but I'll still probably research the candidates a little!

----------
    "Ten bid to fill council vacancy

By Steve Lackmeyer
    The Oklahoman

Names of 10 people competing to fill the vacant Ward 8 Oklahoma City Council seat were released Monday by Mayor Mick Cornett.
    A vote is expected today on who will represent Ward 8 until a special election is held in February. The seat was vacated last month when Guy Liebmann was elected to the state Legislature.

Those being considered are George Farha, Arthur Valdez, Steve Curry, Eric Roberts, Lou Barlow, Nick Gales, J. Don Harris, Pat Ryan, Steven Dobbs and Tammy Ryan.

City officials last week declined to release the names, citing past practice and a state law that allows the identities to be kept secret.

Cornett said he was unsure whether names also would be released in advance of the council considering filling the Ward 4 seat next month.

"My concern is that if they were to get out, the council would be lobbied so hard that the interviews wouldn't even matter," Cornett said Monday. "I'd hate to see the names being released alter the process."

Cornett, responding to concerns voiced last week by Ward 6 Councilwoman Ann Simank, pledged he won't let party affiliation be a factor in his choice.

Unlike county and state government, city government is nonpartisan.

"The council knows that, and believes that," Cornett said. "And I've looked at the list, and I don't think we can even make a bad choice. It's a great list."

2. Default Re: 10 people running for Ward 8

I mentioned this earlier, however, Pat Ryan is or was with the planning commision and J. Don Harris is a dentist.

Dr. Harris use to be my neighbor before he moved to Quail Creek. His son Randy and I were friends.

The others? I am not sure.

Default Re: 10 people running for Ward 8

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    I mentioned this earlier, however, Pat Ryan is or was with the planning commision and J. Don Harris is a dentist.

Dr. Harris use to be my neighbor before he moved to Quail Creek. His son Randy and I were friends.

The others? I am not sure.
    You had stated somewhere in another thread that you lived in Quail Creek. So could I assume you and the Harris's were reunited as neighbors?

Default Re: 10 people running for Ward 8

I didn't see Anderson's name on that list. What gives?

Thread Information