Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Metro Projects and Construction

Default Oklahoma City Metro Projects and Construction

Post all large metro-area building projects, either under construction or proposed, in this thread. Try to include a discription and pictures/renderings if possible.

Default Re: Oklahoma City Metro Projects and Construction

Ok, although most are posted in there own individual threads.

Boldt Construction on Broadway Extension and I belive Wilshire is the cross street.
    Dell Computers Inc. on I-44 and SW 15th
    Toby Keiths on the canal
    Fire Fly (2 stores) on the canal
    The Classen, Classen and 23rd
    The Lincoln at Central Park, Central Park east of lincoln where I-44 meets Broadway
    IHOP in Bricktown
    Drinkz in Bricktown on Reno
    Plaza Court renovation

That new building at the Health Center.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BG918
    Post all large metro-area building projects, either under construction or proposed, in this thread. Try to include a discription and pictures/renderings if possible.
    Trying to answer CTroy's request, eh?

I don't know if this would be considered to be a "large project" but the guy who was on the TV show "The Bachelor" is building a restaurant on Western Avenue and I think they just poured a slab.

Yes Luke, also some of the framework has started to go up. It was going to be called Magnolia on Western now I think he changed it to John Paul's

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Don't forget St. Anthony's, or the OUMC, which are both being rebuilt from the ground up (almost). And the slow progress on the Presbyt. Health Bank.

Oh yeah, the Plaza Court renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    Trying to answer CTroy's request, eh?
    Yep, and I posted a few of the major U/C, proposed, and future projects. Feel free to add, I tried to only include projects that I could find pictures. Anyone have any Plaza Court, I-40 relocation, or airport expansion pictures?

RECENTLY COMPLETED

-The Montgomery, "adaptive re-use" recently completed and selling units near the new art museum and library in west downtown.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

-The tallest of the current projects, the full renovation of the 21 story Citizens Tower in midtown (just north of downtown) into upscale condos called The Classen. The building is nearly completed and they are currently selling condos.

-A massive project, the $100+ million Native American Museum and Cultural Center (will be the largest Native American museum in the world) should begin construction next year by the Oklahoma River southeast of downtown, completed by 2008.

The museum, done by the same architects that did the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, will have large exhibit halls, a research center, well landscaped grounds along the river (with future riverboat access to downtown) and a hotel/tribal conference center.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION CONT.

-I-40 re-location south of downtown, beginning next year and completed by 2009. The existing I-40 will be torn down and a new landscaped boulevard into downtown/Bricktown will be created in its place.

-New Boldt Construction HQ along Lake Hefner Parkway in northwest OKC...the building is LEED-certified. Under construction.

-Oklahoma History Center, a $70 million state history museum under construction near the state capitol.

The old 15 story Skirvin Hotel is currently being renovated into a Hilton and will be downtown's finest hotel once completed in 2006.

PROPOSED

-The Factory, a proposed 12 story apartment building in Bricktown by TAP.

-5 story urban housing, Legacy Summit will be located in the arts district of west downtown. Construction should begin next year.

-10 story Embassy Suites hotel in Bricktown across the canal from the new Harkins cinema and in between Sonic HQ, Bricktown Ballpark, and Bass Pro Shops. Construction should begin sometime next year, no rendering...sorry.

The Triangle District, an ambitious mixed-use urban revitalization proposal for north of downtown creating a "triangle" between downtown, midtown, and the Oklahoma Health Center/research park and state capitol. OKC's version of Atlanta's Atlantic Station or Dallas' Victory...

FUTURE

-$250 million proposed urban development for the new "Riverside District" south of Bricktown by TAP Architecture. Lots of mixed-use development with an emphasis on residential.

-The Lincoln Ave. Renaissance, the blvd. leading up to the state capitol complex east of downtown, proposal also by TAP.

OKC Underground, the renovation and expansion of downtown's tunnel system into urban art galleries.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City Metro Projects and Construction

Updates:
    The Factory is a dead project. The "Riverside" and the Lincoln Renassaince projects are conceptual only, not real proposed developments.

Too bad about The Factory.

On another note, don't forget the controversial hill development in Bricktown. I can't remember which proposal won, but are there any sketches of that proposal?

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City Metro Projects and Construction

From what I understand the Factory project is not dead. This is an email I received from TAP architecture after inquiring about a possible residence and a heads up as to who would be handling their sales/ leasing etc. I have since been added to a waiting list for purhcase of a property that I am not allowed to disclose. Here is the email response that I received after my initial contact;

Sorry it has taken a week to reply. From your descriptors I would offer the following:

To rent = the Montgomery or Garage Loft apartments - you can Google either.

To buy = nothing except a waiting list my group is compiling for several product offerings scheduled for completion in 2005. See Email address in the copy.

The Factory Condos are stalled but not yet flat lined.

Sorry we don't have much more than that but Oklahoma City is starting to move toward urban housing albeit in a fledgling way.

Good luck .

A

Anthony McDermid, AIA, RIBA
    TAPARCHITECTURE
    415 Broadway
    Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma 73102
    amcdermid@taparchitecture.com
    www.taparchitecture.com

As far as I am concerned the Factory is dead for awhile at least and if resurrected will be downsized considerably. Also "The Hill at Bricktown" even though it is in Deep Deuce is still being finalized although there are pics somewhere on this site, I belive in the thread about the hill.

New Boldt Construction HQ along Lake Hefner Parkway in northwest OKC...the building is LEED-certified. Under construction.
    As I mentioned in my thread before this post, the Boldt Construction will be on Broadway Ext. and not on Lake Hefner Parkway so no one is confused.

Thanks for the clarifications, I knew there would be some. I really hope The Factory is built someday, what are the reasons for not building it? It seems Bricktown would be a given for where a mid-rise apartment building like The Factory should go. I'm really surprised there isn't more residential activity in Bricktown itself, there are so many upper floors of those warehouses that could be converted...

As for those visionary projects like Riverside and Lincoln Ave., I think they will happen sometime within the next 5-10 years. It will take the success of one really big urban project, like The Triangle, to really get the ball rolling. Same for downtown residential, all it takes is that one developer willing to take a risk and build a high rise, pretty soon we have several proposals and the skyline is totally different.

Also, any more pics of projects I left out are appreciated.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City Metro Projects and Construction

although they aren't commercial developments, let's not forget the new John Marshall, Douglas, and US Grant high schools and the various other smaller projects of MAPS for Kids. I don't think that city leaders are exaggerating when they say that having quality schools in the inner city is essential to checking sprawl, and part (although not all) of that equation is building quality facilities.

Like I mentioned in a different thread, rumor has it Tanenbaum is looking at constructing a new condo highrise downtown after The Classen is done and The Lincoln is started in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by NewPlains
    although they aren't commercial developments, let's not forget the new John Marshall, Douglas, and US Grant high schools and the various other smaller projects of MAPS for Kids. I don't think that city leaders are exaggerating when they say that having quality schools in the inner city is essential to checking sprawl, and part (although not all) of that equation is building quality facilities.
    Good point. MAPS for Kids and the new/improved schools in the OCPS district will really go a long ways in helping revitalize parts of OKC. If nothing it shows that the local government values education and I'm pretty confident you will see a renewed interest in neighborhoods in the OCPS after the projects are completed.

New Douglass High School

New U.S. Grant High School

Any renderings for The Lincoln? And does anyone have any for The Hill proposals?

The Lincoln is on the "down low" right now. Look for an announcement sometime around June 1st. As far as The Hill there should be pics somewhere on this site, probably in the Hill thread.

On a smaller scale, a fellow twentysomething AEP'er recently opened Cicero International, a full service ad agency a few months ago. There is an article from todays Oklahoman announcing the grand opening. The business section also stated many projects going in around Broadway and Britton including a new McDonalds, McBride Clinic, a broadcasting company, Sav On Meats and many many more.

Also, from downtownguy's website, the following announcements coming:

Rococo Restaurant and Fine Wine may be looking to open up in Bricktown.

OKC Business News reports that developer Randy Hogan has settled on constructing 3-story buildings with a mix of retail and 20 or so condos on top just west of the Centennial Fountain in Lower Bricktown. Some people will be disappointed in this news; the site is considered by many to be a great site for a hotel. But it’s better than office space or another 1-story restaurant building. Sketches of this can be viewed on www.lowerbricktown.com (click on the building #1 pad site).
    Hogan says in the story construction could begin this summer.

The same story reports that John Q. Hammons has given up on plans to build an Embassy Suites along the canal, and will instead build a smaller 151-room Residence Inn (which was his initial plan for the site). Construction is to start in July.

Drinkz is set to open up in the old Wells Fargo building. It's perhaps the most historic property down there. If you're a preservationist, get a look at the door facing Reno before it's too late. I hope that putting a club in this building won't ruin it.

Has Hogan's design been approved by the Bricktown design committee? The renderings make it look Mediterranean with red tile roofs, what the hell? That site needs something at least 4-5 stories, it's one of best sites in Bricktown. Hogan continues to disappoint...

WHAT??? No 10 story Embassy Suites? A Residence Inn instead? Residence Inn's are found by the interstate. Are they TRYING to ruin Bricktown?

Thread Information