Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lower Bricktown Original Renderings?

Default Lower Bricktown Original Renderings?

So quite some time ago I saw quite a few renderings of what lower Bricktown was going to be like, but after hours of searching the internet, I came up with nothing. Does anyone have them or can post them?

Default Re: Lower Bricktown Original Renderings?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I saw more detailed 'high-res' renderings. About two or three of them to be exact. One was an aerial with a development layout and the other two were birds eye views of proposed life-style like developments.

There was also one in the picture you posted, but larger and without that guy standing in front of it. I'm thinking that is Randy Hogan?

Yes, that's Randy Hogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I saw more detailed 'high-res' renderings. About two or three of them to be exact. One was an aerial with a development layout and the other two were birds eye views of proposed life-style like developments.

There was also one in the picture you posted, but larger and without that guy standing in front of it. I'm thinking that is Randy Hogan?
    The high-res photo was taken down recently I think. The last time I went to search for it I couldn't find it and it used to be fairly easy to come by as I posted it here many times. Even from the picture Pete posted though you can see the huge difference between what was proposed and what was built. The proposal had density, canal interaction, and placemaking, three important things the final product lacks.

Here is "The Grove" in LA, a development Randy Hogan said was his inspiration for Lower Bricktown.

The only problem is Lower Bricktown looks nothing like that, not even close. Can everyone imagine what OKC would look like today had Randy Hogan actually did something like that instead of doing everything on the cheap?

I'm angry that we were gypped out of those awesome, circling hawks in the rendering. What the heck, Hogan?

At this point, I'm frankly tired of hearing about Lower Bricktown and "what could have been." We get it...the point has been made over and over on here.

We are talking about decisions that were made 10-15 years ago. OKC and the world were far different places back then.

It's good to learn from mistakes. Do so, and then let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    At this point, I'm frankly tired of hearing about Lower Bricktown and "what could have been." We get it...the point has been made over and over on here.

We are talking about decisions that were made 10-15 years ago. OKC and the world were far different places back then.

So maybe don't click on the thread? I'm trying to get some information on an essay I'm writing.

Me, I still care. The city has had way too many scale downs and broken promises. We need to learn what was supposed to be so we can ensure it doesn't happen again.

I want to make a couple of points in response to this.

1) Lower Bricktown can still be fixed if the will is there. More than half of the canal front property is still surface parking waiting to be developed.
    2) It's good to remember mistakes to avoid repeating them in the future.

I agree it is sad what Hogan did. The man should be in jail for what he did. He basically conned the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I'm angry that we were gypped out of those awesome, circling hawks in the rendering. What the heck, Hogan?
    Just pointing out the origins of that term are racist: Why Being 'Gypped' Hurts The Roma More Than It Hurts You : Code Switch : NPR A lot of people are unaware.

Whoops.....well, sorry I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    I agree it is sad what Hogan did. The man should be in jail for what he did. He basically conned the city.
    If I am not mistaking one of the competing developers actually sued Hogan for not developing what he initially said he would (the rendering in the picture which won him the bid). It would be like Clayco winning the bid with the renderings of the towers we are familiar with but actually building something closer to the 14-story original conceptual drawing that everyone hated.

Hogan should have had the pride to develop something worthy of the taxpayer investment and that the city could be proud of.

The problem is we aren't learning from the mistakes - be it Sandridge Commons, The Devon Lawn, Chase Bank, or the Clayco proposal. We just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The problem is we aren't learning from the mistakes - be it Sandridge Commons, The Devon Lawn, Chase Bank, or the Clayco proposal. We just keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
    True, there are some things still happening in this town that makes me doubt whether the city has really learned its lesson. However I wouldn't throw Clayco into that category yet just because they aren't perfect urbanism. If they try to build something far below what is pictured in the rendering and the city lets them get away with it, then it will be another "Lower Bricktown."

One of the biggest problems with Lower Bricktown is the total lack of interaction with the canal and almost no residential. Where is the sidewalk and park interaction with the Clayco proposal? Once again - lessons are not be learned by members of our development community, the public gets distracted by the pretty lights, and most civic/city leaders are out to lunch on the subject.

One of the biggest problems with Lower Bricktown is the total lack of interaction with the canal and almost no residential. Where is the sidewalk and park interaction with the Clayco proposal? Once again - lessons are not be learned by members of our development community, the public gets distracted by the pretty lights, and most civic/city leaders are out to lunch on the subject.
    I get what you are saying as you've said many times how the residential should front the park, but comparing the Clayco proposal to Lower Bricktown, at this point, is like comparing apples and oranges. If Clayco builds a couple ugly, 14 story mid-rise commercial towers with no placemaking whatsoever and scraps the residential towers for surface parking, then it will be comparable.

Why do you not like the Devon Lawn? I thought you advocated for such public spaces? I have seen it use multiple times and it doesn't impede walkability.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why do you not like the Devon Lawn? I thought you advocated for such public spaces? I have seen it use multiple times and it doesn't impede walkability.
    Plupan, I don't think Kerry likes any development unless you can touch the building while walking along the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Plupan, I don't think Kerry likes any development unless you can touch the building while walking along the sidewalk.
    That is a pretty good summation and I can live with that. I do have the satisfaction of knowing that every year hundreds of millions of people around the world spend their savings or go into debt to experience my version of the urban environment.

Saaay what? I didn't know THAT was the look we were going for. LoL, theres no way I would have ever believed that we could ever get something like that...

There is a ton of potential down there, and something could be made of it, but I have serious doubts. I believe it when I see the completed construction. I hope something comes of it though.

Just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone knows about or has found more detailed renderings.

Thread Information