Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

1. Default OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

This tidbit has been floating in the internet for weeks now, and the Okmetropolis forum was the first to openly discuss it. TNT is developing a drama set in OKC starring Holly Hunter.

GRACE (TNT) - Oscar winner Holly Hunter has been tapped for the lead role in the drama pilot, about a jaded Oklahoma City police detective who is visited by an irascible angel and offered an opportunity to redeem her life. Her character, Grace Anadarko, is detailed in the casting notice as follows: "35. Grace is tough, audacious and sexy as hell. A homicide detective in Oklahoma City, Grace is headed for hell: she sleeps with her married partner, drives drunk, smokes too much, sings along with country music at the top of her lungs and avoids her mother on every occasion. A woman who's broken more than her share of the Commandments, and has turned her back on her Catholic upbringing, Grace is famous within the department for being a hard-nosed cop who clears cases, but her volatile persona keeps her under constant scrutiny, lest she go wholly off the rails. Still guiltily aware of the fact that she contributed in a minuscule way to her sister's death in the Oklahoma City bombing, Grace is an angry, unforgiving woman whose life is about to blow apart at the seams. When she's visited by a tobacco-chewing angel named Earl and ordered to reform her trainwreck of a life, Grace has a "Road To Damascus" moment, and when events (and the forensics lab) prove Earl to be more than a drunkard's dream, Grace begins her journey, stumbling through her Heavenly orders, painfully aware that the road to Calvary is steeper and straighter than the road to Hell." Nancy Miller is behind the Fox TV Studios-based hour, which has been in the works for nearly a year. Gary A. Randall and E. Duke Vincent also serve as executive producers on the project. "Grace" joins "Talk to Me" as the only pilots currently under consideration at the cable channel.

And the fetching Laura San Giacomo will be starring as Grace’s best friend:

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Laura San Giacomo will co-star opposite Holly Hunter in TNT's drama pilot "Grace."

Hunter plays a jaded Oklahoma City police detective who is visited by an irascible angel (Leon Rippy) and offered an opportunity to redeem her life. San Giacomo will play Grace's best friend, a forensic scientist. Bokeem Woodbine will play a death-row inmate who also can see the angel.

San Giacomo, probably best known for her role on NBC's long-running comedy series "Just Shoot Me!" will next do a multi-episode arc on the CW's "Veronica Mars." The stint will reunite San Giacomo with fellow "Just Shoot Me!" cast member Enrico Colantoni.
    Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I can only hope they shoot on location as much as possible and reference OKC names as much as possible (people, streets, restaurants, clubs, neighborhoods, and stores other than Wal-Mart).
    Continue the Renaissance

Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Hey, my wife tells me we were on Studio 60 last night. As one of the only markets in the country who censored a comedy sketch. Our reputation precedes us...

I can only hope they shoot on location as much as possible and reference OKC names as much as possible
    After reading the synopsis, I can't imagine that many references would be very flattering.

Holly Hunter often plays characters with thick Southern drawls... I would expect more of the same here.

4. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    Hey, my wife tells me we were on Studio 60 last night. As one of the only markets in the country who censored a comedy sketch. Our reputation precedes us...

After reading the synopsis, I can't imagine that many references would be very flattering.
    I think it'll prove to be entertaining and helpful to OKC. It'll show that we actually do have clubs and restaurants to OKC and that we're not a bunch of squares. It's a series, so I think redemption will the dominant theme throughout the life of the program -- if it lasts. I've been a fan of Hunter since Broadcast News, and find her drawl very sexy. It helps that her characters are usually smart.

I luv Studio 60 but cringed at that OKC reference. Shows how much we have to overcome. Grace just may be the antidote.
    Continue the Renaissance

5. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

This should be a good thing.. we'll have to wait and see.. the Chamber should be all over this - sending the producers and writers, directora and anyone else influential, as much positive info on the city as possible.

I would venture to take it a step further and have them personally invited on a tour of the city, the Memorial, treat them to a few nice restaurants.. that would help our tourism if they took some of what they experienced and worked it into the script.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

It'll show that we actually do have clubs and restaurants to OKC and that we're not a bunch of squares. It's a series, so I think redemption will the dominant theme throughout the life of the program
    I hope so. I'm just speculating, but as it will be focused on crime and a down-and-out character, I assume that much of it will be focused on the underside of the city. That's fine with me as long as the city's good side is included as well. My biggest fear is that it will play up the rednecky (sorry, cabbie) or other "negative" stereotypes associated with OKC. I think it will be hard for the writers to ignore the temptation to include Oklahoma stereotypes altogether. Hopefully, they mix in some of the good stuff as well...

Shows how much we have to overcome.
    Unfortunately, it was fairly accurate of them to single out OKC. Our affiliates are notorious for letting their politics guide their programming decisions.

A homicide detective in Oklahoma City, Grace is headed for hell: she sleeps with her married partner, drives drunk, smokes too much, sings along with country music at the top of her lungs and avoids her mother on every occasion. A woman who's broken more than her share of the Commandments, and has turned her back on her Catholic upbringing, Grace is famous within the department for being a hard-nosed cop who clears cases, but her volatile persona keeps her under constant scrutiny, lest she go wholly off the rails. Still guiltily aware of the fact that she contributed in a minuscule way to her sister's death in the Oklahoma City bombing, Grace is an angry, unforgiving woman whose life is about to blow apart at the seams. When she's visited by a tobacco-chewing angel named Earl and ordered to reform her trainwreck of a life, Grace has a "Road To Damascus" moment, and when events (and the forensics lab) prove Earl to be more than a drunkard's dream, Grace begins her journey, stumbling through her Heavenly orders, painfully aware that the road to Calvary is steeper and straighter than the road to Hell."
    Hmm, this doesn't portray a good picture of the city's residents. Or am I taking this too seriously? After all, people from other nations thought everyone in Dallas is rich and drinks all the time and drives expensive cars (at least that's what a Swedish professor at OU said in class one time).

people from other nations thought everyone in Dallas is rich and drinks all the time and drives expensive cars
    Is this not true?

9. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    Unfortunately, it was fairly accurate of them to single out OKC. Our affiliates are notorious for letting their politics guide their programming decisions.
    Yeah.

I would rather Grace depict OKC as a gritty city than a huge oil patch and suburbs. I would think they'd portray her as living in a city neighborhood such as Crown Heights. Anyway, it's a drama, you can't expect to have perfect neighborhoods with perfect people.

And it is written by Nancy Miller, who is from Oklahoma. I would think she would see to it that OKC is portrayed honestly in service to the story. What will probably happen is that the neighborhood scenes will be shot in LA while shots of the PD and downtown will be thrown in for context.
    Continue the Renaissance

When does all this happen?

11. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Grace Anadarko? Jeeeeez.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

12. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy
    Grace Anadarko? Jeeeeez.
    Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the name, either.
    Continue the Renaissance

13. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

This has actually been a news story for about half a year now. The story was first in the Chicago Tribune, I believe. I found this while I was doing my usual hunt on FindArticles.

Hunter to take on her first TV series as Oklahoma City cop
    Chicago Sun-Times, Jul 18, 2006 by Nellie Andreeva

In her first foray into series television, Oscar winner Holly Hunter is in negotiations to topline a drama pilot for TNT.

"Grace" centers on a jaded Oklahoma City police detective who is visited by an irascible angel and offered an opportunity to redeem her life.

It follows the breakout success of "The Closer," another TNT drama centered on a strong female cop character. Kyra Sedgwick's show has emerged as the most-watched cable series.

Hunter has been nominated for an Academy Award four times, most recently for "thirteen" in 2003, and won for best lead actress in 1994 for "The Piano."

Meanwhile, another film actress has joined Fox's drama "24" as a regular for next season. Regina King will play Angela, the sister of the late President David Palmer and a powerful advocacy lawyer.

King, who co-starred in such features as "Jerry Maguire" and "Ray," also lends her voice to the animated series "The Boondocks."

14. Talking Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy
    Grace Anadarko? Jeeeeez.
    Well then, how about the following:

Grace Gotebo
    Grace Bowlegs
    Grace Hooker
    Grace Beaver
    Grace Slaughterville

Just a few ideas.

:spin:

15. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

LOL - you forgot

Grace Watonga
    Grace PoncaCity
    and my favorite

Grace Tuttle

heavy sigh.. Grace Anadarko
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

16. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Why are we matching the name of the show with the hick towns surrounding our fine megalopolis?

17. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    Why are we matching the name of the show with the hick towns surrounding our fine megalopolis?
    Um...because it's funny?

18. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Here are more of them:

Grace Lawton
    Grace Yukon
    Grace Moore
    Grace Purcell
    Grace Antlers
    Grace Shawnee

19. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Now, now Anderson I don't believe Moore or Yukon are considered the hick towns around our fire megalopolis.

I like Grace Gotebo personally.

A tabacco chewing angel? Even our angels are redneck stereotypes. I mean I'm all for rednecks, I'm a bit of one myself, but come on.

Unfortunately, if this ever happens, I wouldn't expect it to be like Walker Texas Ranger where they shot extensively around the Big D. Expect it to be shot in Canada somewhere.

And a Catholic upbrining? While they're at the stereotype game why not make her the daughter of a hardnosed Southern Baptist? Anytime someone on tv or in the movies has a spiritual awakening or encounter they are Catholic, anytime they are religious jerk they are Southern Baptist.

21. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

I always wondered when Hollywood would even reference the bombing. There has not to my knowledge (and I watch a lot of TV and films) been any plotline or character that even referenced it in someone's past as it's being done here.

I really hope they shoot this here. I don't think it would be any more expensive than Vancouver or Dallas, where Prison Break shoots.

22. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    Now, now Anderson I don't believe Moore or Yukon are considered the hick towns around our fire megalopolis.
    Actually, Moore has more hicks per capita than any other city in the metro. I stuck Yukon in there just for kicks.

23. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    I always wondered when Hollywood would even reference the bombing. There has not to my knowledge (and I watch a lot of TV and films) been any plotline or character that even referenced it in someone's past as it's being done here.

I really hope they shoot this here. I don't think it would be any more expensive than Vancouver or Dallas, where Prison Break shoots.
    Actually, several television programs and movies have made references to the Murrah bombing. "Promise Land," and "Elizabethtown" are two.

24. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    Actually, Moore has more hicks per capita than any other city in the metro.

LOL

I didn't know the Census Bureau kept that kind of statistic.

25. Default Re: OKC Starring in TNT's "Grace"

this is fun. naming a chick after a hick town and calling okc a megalopolis. its hilarious. ok so im being a little sarcastic. megalopolis. ha!
    how about
    grace durant
    grace atoka
    grace achille
    or she could be american indian, grace broken bow

Thread Information