Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toll Every Interstate

Default Toll Every Interstate

I guess this is what it has finally come down to. There was no way the interstate system was sustainable and now we have a broken run down system that we can't afford to fix or replace but is needed to keep the wheels of the economy going. The interstate trust fund that was supposed to pay for it (using a growth model) funds less than half and will be out of money completely in a few years, which means not only do we have to fund the current half from the general fund, but we have to get the other half from the general fund as well PLUS new money for replacement and expansion, and the general fund is also woefully under funded. Not exactly a recipe for success.

Study proposes tolling interstate system to pay for reconstruction | McClatchy

2. Default Re: Toll Every Interstate

This idea merits consideration. I've considered it for some time and thought, "why not?"

Default Re: Toll Every Interstate

How big of an increase of gas tax would be required to keep up with the ongoing repairs? 18.4 cents is what it currently is. I travel a lot and would be against a per mile toll especially costing that much. I would start using state and local roads like the article suggests way more than an interstate.

How much is the infrastructure going to cost to add toll technology to the entirety of the Interstate system?

no thanks ..

Oh this works perfect then...Every car in the US will be obligated to have a receptor and the gvt can charge us whenever we drive on the Interstates. And it really will make the whole keeping tabs on all of the citizens so much easier !!

I say do it and exempt public transportation. It's more fair than a gas tax, which I imagine would affect blue collar workers disproportionately because of their reliance on pickups and older model vehicles.

I pay a 'toll' everytime I put gas in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by KenRagsdale View Post
    This idea merits consideration. I've considered it for some time and thought, "why not?"
    How about everyone here just write out a check for lets say for - $5,000.00 and send it on in....they'll take care of it for you. Why Not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    That "toll" you pay doesn't nearly cover the amount required to keep our highway and road system up-to-date.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    That "toll" you pay doesn't nearly cover the amount required to keep our highway and road system up-to-date.
    For another thread - but if the majority of each dollar collected wasn't used in gvm't admin, it'd go a lot further.

12. Default Re: Toll Every Interstate

Count me IN

Roads are incredibly expensive to maintain. Interstates especially so because the trucking industry relies on them so much. And that's the problem. Big trucks thrive because they're effectively getting a subsidized transportation system. Trucks cause a lot more damage to the roads than cars do. But even though they have worse gas mileage than cars, a gasoline tax doesn't reflect the higher amount of damage that these trucks cause to the roads.

It's the equivalent of splitting the check right down the middle when you go to a restaurant with a fat guy.

We're going to need to modernize our transportation network. That may include a lot more tolls on major interstates. Or how about just tolls for big trucks? Will they pass the costs on to their customers? Of course. But that may make other forms of transportation more affordable. More goods might be shipped by air, or by rail.

Regardless, it's time to tell the fat guy, "no, I'll just pay for my BLT and coke. You pay for your six cheeseburgers."

For another thread - but if the majority of each dollar collected wasn't used in gvm't admin, it'd go a lot further.
    I've never seen a study on that. Can you point me to one?

I never thought I'd see the day when the urbanistas tout a study done by the Reason Foundation. Mind BLOWN!

Yeah,. That's right. lets let the government dig a little deeper in out over taxed pockets. A little more won't hurt, right? .... You folks that want to be so free with everyone elses money should pay the tolls yourselves. How about an honest accounting of where ALL our tax dollars go before you volunteer more.

Yes - but you aren't paying enough. That is the whole problem and raising the rate won't help because cars are getting more fuel efficient and an increasing number aren't using gasoline at all.

Here is the easy solution. Eliminate about 75% of the interchanges and put toll booths (with an optional electronic system) on the remaining 25%. We have to do something because the current strategy isn't working.

Here is how I would reconfigure I-35

Close
    Lindsey St (Norman)
    Main St (Norman)
    Robinson (Norman)
    Flood (Norman)
    Indian Hills (Norman)
    SW 4th - including the service roads (Moore)
    NW 12th (Moore)
    NW 27th (Moore)
    SE 89th (OKC)
    SE 66th (OKC)
    SE 44th (OKC)
    SE 29th (OKC)
    SE 25th (OKC)
    Eastern (OKC)
    NE 10th (OKC)
    NE 36th (OKC)
    Bryant (OKC)
    NE 78th (OKC)
    Wilshire (OKC)
    NE 108th (OKC)
    NE 122nd (OKC)
    E Memorial (OKC)
    E 33rd (Edmond)
    E 15th (Edmond)
    Danforth (Edmond)
    Waterloo (Edmond)
    E Seward (Edmond)
    Division (rural exit)

Toll Booth
    Highway 9 (Norman)
    Tecumseh Rd (Norman)
    SW 19th (Moore)
    Shields (Moore)
    SE59th (OKC)
    Grand, Blvd (OKC)
    SE 15th (OKC)
    Eastern (OKC)
    SE 23rd (OKC)
    NE 50th (OKC)
    Britton (OKC)
    E 2nd (Edmond)
    E. Covell (Edmond)

No Toll
    I-240 (OKC)
    I-40 West (OKC)
    I-235 (OKC)
    I-40 East (OKC)
    I-44 (OKC)
    I-44/Kilpatrick (OKC)

With the mileage figures rising on many cars and the mandate that those figures get better, its time to reconfigure how to get the funds to maintain what was probably the biggest infrastructure project this country has ever seen. Taxing vehicles at every purchase point based on weight, taxing tires, and taxing based on annual mileage( figure obtained by tag agent at renewal) could be options worth exploring in place of the current federal tax on fuel.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Yeah,. That's right. lets let the government dig a little deeper in out over taxed pockets. A little more won't hurt, right? .... You folks that want to be so free with everyone elses money should pay the tolls yourselves. How about an honest accounting of where ALL our tax dollars go before you volunteer more.
    We would have to pay the tolls ourselves if we drove on the roads...

20. Default Re: Toll Every Interstate

Mixed feelings on this. I'd have to see studies by groups other than the libertarian Reason Foundation before I could give an educated opinion.

Knee-jerk reaction says I'd want a full audit first that shows that every current dollar being collected is not being wasted. And if there is massive waste it needs to be addressed first.

Then I'd want to see the cost if the price is spread out over the entire fuel buying public as opposed to simply those who travel specific roads (taking into account the new technologies needed to handle such precise billing).

Are we talking about adding a penny to EVERYONE'S gallon of gas or a quarter?

If people elect to stop using the Interstates as much does that mean the rest get to see their per mile fees increased to cover it? And vice versa - if more people are on the roads will they just spend that extra money or will rates go down?

Lastly, where is all this traveling data going to be stored and who will have access to it? Can law enforcement access it? Will it be stored beyond the billing cycle? Will it be sold to marketers who will use it to advertise to people who drive by certain locations on a regular basis, etc. - and if so, will that lower the cost per mile to the consumer?

Way to many questions for a simply "Yeah" or "Nay" from me.

21. Default Re: Toll Every Interstate

I know there aren't some fans of the OTA on here, but I watched them add a lane in both directions, rebuilt bridges and an over pass, as well as some other items, to over and 8 mile stretch of highway in just over 13 months. Its amazing what you can do with money in hand, paid mostly by people who drive on it.

22. Default Re: Toll Every Interstate

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    An honest accounting? Sure. People who live in Norman and work in OKC who cry, cry, cry that there aren't enough lanes on I-35. Everyone hates taxes except when they pay for the services they uniquely need/want.

I personally don't think we need an interstate system like the one we've got. The distances between major metros is too great in the US. We should've stuck with rail. Far, far cheaper per mile. But as long as we are going to have one and as long as everyone wants one, I expect us all to pay for them so we don't push that cost on down to my kids.
    Why trust the same institution(s) that got us into this mess? They always underestimate and under fund - then wait until the problem is critical before addressing it so as to force us to go along with whatever next ill-conceived plan they've got up their sleeve.

I say wait and force an accounting. Lets see the waste. Lets see what bully unions have added to this mess. And more importantly lets see some reassurances that we won't all be scratching our heads again in 20 more years.

As for rail - I'm no fan except when I'm vacationing (and even then - not so much). If they had rail to Austin and say the Plaza area in Kansas City then I'd certainly consider going more often. But I'd never take a rail to say Tulsa or Norman.

That being said, every time I look into the rail to go to the Ft Worth area I just laugh because I can't find a single reason to do it - costs more, takes far too much time, is not pet friendly and its inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Mixed feelings on this. I'd have to see studies by groups other than the libertarian Reason Foundation before I could give an educated opinion.

Knee-jerk reaction says I'd want a full audit first that shows that every current dollar being collected is not being wasted. And if there is massive waste it needs to be addressed first.

Then I'd want to see the cost if the price is spread out over the entire fuel buying public as opposed to simply those who travel specific roads (taking into account the new technologies needed to handle such precise billing).

Are we talking about adding a penny to EVERYONE'S gallon of gas or a quarter?

If people elect to stop using the Interstates as much does that mean the rest get to see their per mile fees increased to cover it? And vice versa - if more people are on the roads will they just spend that extra money or will rates go down?

Lastly, where is all this traveling data going to be stored and who will have access to it? Can law enforcement access it? Will it be stored beyond the billing cycle? Will it be sold to marketers who will use it to advertise to people who drive by certain locations on a regular basis, etc. - and if so, will that lower the cost per mile to the consumer?

Way to many questions for a simply "Yeah" or "Nay" from me.
    Fabulously well put. Kudos.

The other element of the response to the original post is whether another aspect of the "solution" involves the consideration of the solution underway in a number of states...namely, ones that are building private highway-caliber "intrastate" highways, and the prime example of this is Texas....correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that they are 100% financed without a penny from the fed gov't.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    There was no way the interstate system was sustainable and now we have a broken run down system that we can't afford to fix or replace but is needed to keep the wheels of the economy going.
    It really sucks, because I know this might not be popular opinion, but I think the US Interstate system is one of the great achievements of that era.

The interstate highway system was built at the behest of Gen. "Ike", selling it partially based on a national defense need. With the pentagon budget exceeding that of most of the world combined and no superpower threat on the magnitude of the USSR, maybe a few less needless weapons systems could also pay for maintaince of what is supposedly a defense need.

Thread Information