Widgets Magazine

Thread: OKC Rocks Redevelopment Idea

Default OKC Rocks Redevelopment Idea

I was on an AirTran flight last week and came across a story about the redevelopment of the Quaker Oats grain silos in Akron, Ohio. I thought it was pretty cool. The project is called Quaker Square. They turned the silos into a hotel and retail area.

Default Re: OKC Rocks Redevelopment Idea

I like it! Very cool!

OKC Rocks Redevelopment Idea
    Redevelopment? It still is operating as a rock climbing gym and has been expanding to more of the silos in the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Redevelopment? It still is operating as a rock climbing gym and has been expanding to more of the silos in the building.
    I understand they are not abandonded but with the coming of similar activities along the Oklahoma River they future of OKCRocks might be limited. It was just an idea.

Didn't someone here post a photo of the great mural Rick Sinnet is going to be painting on the building? I can't find it here, but I think it's going to look great. I doubt it's being abandoned anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I understand they are not abandonded but with the coming of similar activities along the Oklahoma River they future of OKCRocks might be limited. It was just an idea.
    It just struck me as an odd focus for redevelopment since their is a ton places in C2S that would be more in need of development and cheaper to develop at. They own the building, it is a good location in town for them and it seems unlikely anyone would be paying enough for that piece of property to build a structure as useful to them near downtown.

OKC Rocks was a grain silo. Quaker Square was a grain silo. Are you not making the connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    OKC Rocks was a grain silo. Quaker Square was a grain silo. Are you not making the connection?
    I get the connection but I do not see them having any desire to sell and they seem to have a growing user base. It is one thing to hope for redevelopment of a property that is abandon or business/organization is clearly failing, I do not think that is the case here.

They have a rendering of some concepts they are thinking about for future development of their site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	presentationboard_sm.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	1178

It was just an idea Snowman. I'll put you down as a 'no'.

10. Default Re: OKC Rocks Redevelopment Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I get the connection but I do not see them having any desire to sell and they seem to have a growing user base. It is one thing to hope for redevelopment of a property that is abandon or business/organization is clearly failing, I do not think that is the case here.

They have a rendering of some concepts they are thinking about for future development of their site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	presentationboard_sm.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	1178
    Exactly. Being a successful business why would there be any discussion of redevelopment. There are plenty of failing businesses/buildings that are in need of redevelopment without successful businesses being added to the mix.

MadMonk Guest

I like those renderings. It evokes the feel of a canyon wall.

Side note - what are we going to do in terms of redeveloping the Devon building?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Didn't someone here post a photo of the great mural Rick Sinnet is going to be painting on the building? I can't find it here, but I think it's going to look great. I doubt it's being abandoned anytime soon.
    There should be several views of the proposed mural here.

Is the mural proposed to go over the Oklahoma Flag? I think I have my directions turned around looking at that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Is the mural proposed to go over the Oklahoma Flag? I think I have my directions turned around looking at that picture.
    Found this paragraph on page 3:

"All sides of the grain silos lend themselves to artistic expression. The north side faces Bricktown, Downtown OKC, and the south end of the canal. The south side of the building, the side facing the New I-40, is extremely visible yet completely devoid of any enhancements, artwork, or visual appeal. The south side is a black canvas just waiting to be painted with something brilliant."

Sound like this new mural should face the new I-40 alignment and the "flag" mural will stay "as is".

Thread Information