Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will the pizza price war last?

Default How long will the pizza price war last?

I am getting fat from the pizza price war! How long will Pizza Hut, Pappa John's and Mazzios be able to keep it up?

Default Re: How long will the pizza price war last?

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    I am getting fat from the pizza price war! How long will Pizza Hut, Pappa John's and Mazzios be able to keep it up?
    It will stop when folks realize that a cheapy pizza is not always great investment (i.e. consider the taste/dollar ratio...)

I wasn't aware there was a war going on. I've been so hooked on the Hot N Ready pizza from Little Ceaser's the I don't even think of other pizza right now.

4. Default Re: How long will the pizza price war last?

I dunno, I usually get pizza from Pizza Shuttle. Their prices are pretty good, but more importantly, the pizza is good!

I am sure the current money crunch most people are facing has forced them to stop ordering pizza as often. Especially when you can make your own at home for $10-$20 vs. $20-$40 depending on how many people are eating.

We bought the pillsbury pizza dough, toppings and sauce for less than $10. We ended up making enough pizza to last through two meals. Not to mention, we had enough sauce and toppings left to make another one. All we had to do is go buy another can of dough.

I figure the prices will go back up in the Spring and Summer months when people are out of the house and active again.

For us, it's generally one of these -

JJ's call-in
    (hands down, bar none, the best pizza in Norman)

Pizza Shuttle
    (some nice folks run one of the outlets, so we include it in the rotation from time to time.)

pizza pizza hot and ready
    (when we're tired but ought to eat something and it's on the way to da haus)

Domino's or Pizza Hut
    (rare occasion when the grown kiddos come home. I'm not a big fan these days)

Not really tuned into the price wars, and they don't carry any weight with us.

Because of all the demand I know the Stars and Stripes location in Edmond is adding more ovens soon. 7.99 any large all the time has put lots of pressure on the delivery and carry out business in Edmond.

I thought it was 6.99 at Stars and Stripes. Oh, that's for one topping, and you said any large pizza.

Anyways, Cheezies on 164th and Penn also has a 6.99 one topping large pizza.

Dominos has 5.99 2 toppings medium pizzas.

Little Caesars it absolutely awful!! Especially at night.. The pizza is sloppy and every time we order pepperoni, there's about 5-10 slices..

Has anyone tried Domino's since they changed the recipe? I love it! Much improved!

11. Default Re: How long will the pizza price war last?

As for Little Caesar's, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks than eat one of their pepperoni pizzas ever again. You can get better pizza from the refrigerator case at Walmart.

Who here wishes that Hideaway had $10 large pizzas? (Maybe they do; it's been a while since I went there!)

Lord Helmet Guest

I try to avoid fast food pizza, but Stars and Stripes is pretty good if you need to feed a bunch of folks on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    As for Little Caesar's, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks than eat one of their pepperoni pizzas ever again. You can get better pizza from the refrigerator case at Walmart.

Who here wishes that Hideaway had $10 large pizzas? (Maybe they do; it's been a while since I went there!)

I agree, Little Caesar's is awful, you definitely get what you pay for. Doesn't even taste like real pizza. Definitely would rather have a $5 Digorno or California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizza. As for the "price wars", I haven't noticed any difference in price, we usually order from Papa Johns, and if anything their price probably went up a dollar on average the last year. Also ordered from The Wedge to-go the other night!

14. Default Re: How long will the pizza price war last?

cheap pizza for us means:

Pizza House, All American or Stars & Stripes. better product, better service, just as cheap and LOCAL.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I agree, Little Caesar's is awful, you definitely get what you pay for. Doesn't even taste like real pizza. Definitely would rather have a $5 Digorno or California Pizza Kitchen frozen pizza. As for the "price wars", I haven't noticed any difference in price, we usually order from Papa Johns, and if anything their price probably went up a dollar on average the last year. Also ordered from The Wedge to-go the other night!
    The Wedge - to go?
    is this a new option? I always thought it was dine-in only.

We make our pizza at home mostly, just not worth the wait or price for mediocre delivered pie.
    if we eat out -- Sauced or Flip's
    Last edited by tburn; 03-01-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: clarity.

I doubt it's a "new option", just most people probably don't think to ask. I called and told them I wanted an order to pick up and it was no problem.

You must have been living under a rock not to have seen all the Pizza Hut, Papa Johns and Mazzio ads for $10 for a large, any crust any toppings. A large meatlovers from Papa Johns is pretty hard to beat.

Nope, and I wouldn't call that a "price war" considering they've been doing that for years. Papa Johns has specials all the time and $5.99 larges like on Monday nights for as long as I can remember. Apparently I'm not the only one as several others didn't know there was a "price war". Mazzio's has pretty much had the same pricing for years and years as well.

Nope, and I wouldn't call that a "price war" considering they've been doing that for years. Papa Johns has specials all the time and $5.99 larges like on Monday nights for as long as I can remember. Apparently I'm not the only one as several others didn't know there was a "price war". Mazzio's has pretty much had the same pricing for years and years as well.
    $10 large any toppings every day at Pizza Hut has not been going on for years...neither has $10 large any toppings every day at Papa Johns. Papa Johns runs their buy one get one on tuesdays which ends up being less that $10...

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    $10 large any toppings every day at Pizza Hut has not been going on for years...
    I'll vouch for that, although I thought it was $10.00 any size, any topping.

I'm so used to ordering a large and a medium pie whenever we have family over...then one day I got the "dumbass" look when I walked through the door - could've gotten two large pizzas for the same price.

Other than that, I haven't noticed much of a price war, either.

21. Default Re: How long will the pizza price war last?

Papa John's keeps sending me emails about how any large pizza is $10, but what they don't tell you is there's a mandatory $2 delivery fee, and then sales tax, so it usually ends up being more like $15, AND they still expect you to tip the driver (don't know what the "delivery fee" is for then). I think I'll just keep ordering from Pizza Shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by AAC2005 View Post
    I'll vouch for that, although I thought it was $10.00 any size, any topping.

I'm so used to ordering a large and a medium pie whenever we have family over...then one day I got the "dumbass" look when I walked through the door - could've gotten two large pizzas for the same price.

Other than that, I haven't noticed much of a price war, either.
    My point about the price war was that Papa Johns and Mazzios did not start running their $10 pizza specials until Pizza Hut had been running theirs for a month.

Sam's Club sells pizza that you bake at home and it is great. For like $7 you get a huge pizza that is ready in 15 mins and taste better than the pizza you get for taking advantage of the pizza wars.

The thread title is a bit misleading. There was never a formal declaration of war here. This is really more of a "pizza price conflict" or a "pizza price skirmish." It's kind of like the Vietnam of pizza.

25. Default Re: How long will the pizza price war last?

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    Papa John's keeps sending me emails about how any large pizza is $10, but what they don't tell you is there's a mandatory $2 delivery fee, and then sales tax, so it usually ends up being more like $15, AND they still expect you to tip the driver (don't know what the "delivery fee" is for then). I think I'll just keep ordering from Pizza Shuttle.
    the delivery fee goes to the store. the driver gets a portion of that, but not even enough to cover his gas from the store to your house. he also makes a few dollars an hour, which i suppose the fee goes towards. if he does a good job delivering the pizza in a timely, courteous and with packets of cheese and peppers at the ready, give him a tip.

Thread Information