Widgets Magazine

Thread: Water Tower?

Default Water Tower?

What's with the Water Tower off I-35? What are they doing with it? What is the odd cover that's been on it for weeks now. Are they painting it or ??

Default Re: Water Tower?

generally a cover over a water tower is there during extended maintainence, including painting.

I've often thought cities should either sell ad space on those covers, or have contests for someone to decorate them before they get placed.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    generally a cover over a water tower is there during extended maintainence, including painting.

I've often thought cities should either sell ad space on those covers, or have contests for someone to decorate them before they get placed.
    The other day I saw a US Navy ad on the water tower off I-35 in Moore. That was the first time that I had seen such an ad and I'm surprised that more cities aren't doing similarly...

I really like the idea of turning them into works of art, but I guess you'd need some hefty insurance and the ability to get up there and do it.

Decades ago on the SW side of Oklahoma City there was a very unsightly water tower. It was silver in color and was always covered in rust. It was directly across the street from an elementary school and was pretty much an eyesore. The story goes that one day the city decided that they didn't want an eyesore across the street from that school any longer. A contest was held where the local school kids were allowed to come up with a design that they wanted on their water tower. The school picked elements from the best idea and it was submitted to the city, who then had the tower painted.

I did some searching and I actually found that someone has taken a picture of the tower and it's available (below). I haven't been to that part of town in a long, long time but I seem to remember that it had different artwork on it at one time. I seem to remember the top decorated as a hot air balloon when it first came out.

Kind of a neat story anyway.

I'm officially old. I like the water tower art pic better than any of the Alba pics in the shark poster thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I'm officially old. I like the water tower art pic better than any of the Alba pics in the shark poster thread.
    hhahahahaha!!!

Hey, that is a wonderful picture of the water tower.

It's great to see tower art that does more than merely trash or defend the honor of someone's sister.

The art is really whimsical on the tower. I found another picture, a close-up of the base. If you look closely you can see a lot of really bizarre stuff. A forest, a white rabbit peeking through the woods, snoopy in an airplane flying over the tree-tops, and an ominous looking UFO hovering just above a building. Hah!

Thread Information