Widgets Magazine

Thread: Looking where to buy coconut meringue pie

Question Looking where to buy coconut meringue pie

A crazy question for my OKC Talk friends: does anyone know what place serves or makes coconut meringue pies? I find many coconut "cream" pies, but that is not what I'm craving. I will drive anywhere within the metroplex if I can find a place that makes a coconut meringue pie--especially like the one from the now-closed Marie Callender's in Norman. It would be great. Thanks!

Default Re: Looking where to buy coconut meringue pie

so... the difference is a meringue topping versus a whipped cream topping?

i wonder if pie junkie would make one custom for you... it might be worth asking.

Copper St Bakery Arlington tx if you wanted to drive that far.

I've asked Pie Junkie; they declined. Apparently, meringue is just too difficult.

Arlington is definitely a distance too far.

I'd heard that Sherri's Diner had such pies, but alas, after visiting there and inquiring, I learned that what appears to be a lovely tall meringue topping is cream.

I keep hoping there will be somewhere to find a good pie...but it may be my "pie in the sky" dream.

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    I've asked Pie Junkie; they declined. Apparently, meringue is just too difficult.

Arlington is definitely a distance too far.

I'd heard that Sherri's Diner had such pies, but alas, after visiting there and inquiring, I learned that what appears to be a lovely tall meringue topping is cream.

I keep hoping there will be somewhere to find a good pie...but it may be my "pie in the sky" dream.
    Beverly's?

6. Default Re: Looking where to buy coconut meringue pie

Might try Johnnie's... Been awhile since I've been there but thought their's was meringue.

Strange about Sherri's because I know their's used to be meringue.... I ate quite a bit of it when I lived on the south side but that's been about 10 years ago.

Too bad Don's Alley closed... They had meringue too.

7. Default Re: Looking where to buy coconut meringue pie

I agree that Johnnie’s had actual meringue, at least at one point. When I used to go there regularly the lemon meringue was my go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I agree that Johnnie’s had actual meringue, at least at one point. When I used to go there regularly the lemon meringue was my go-to.
    Their menu definitely says cream pies now.

here's a place on ne 23rd & westminster in far northeastern okc... they do custom orders and have both lemon meringue and coconut cream on their menu. maybe they could do a coconut meringue.

Order Online | Katie’s Pies And More (orderkatiespiesandmore.com)

Yummmmm, Luby's used to make the best coconut cream pies!

Was just at Johnnies tonight and got 2 pieces of pie. I can conform all their pies are cream not meringue. Chocolate, coconut and banana. Their free food giveaway they put out Monday in their app was a piece of chocolate cream pie. That was a new one in their normal rotation of giveaways.

Railroad pie company in Edmond Katie's pie and Choctaw. I'm sure you'll find something local Baker will be more than happy to make you one

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    A crazy question for my OKC Talk friends: does anyone know what place serves or makes coconut meringue pies? I find many coconut "cream" pies, but that is not what I'm craving. I will drive anywhere within the metroplex if I can find a place that makes a coconut meringue pie--especially like the one from the now-closed Marie Callender's in Norman. It would be great. Thanks!
    do you mean a coconut cream pie with meringue on top ... because that is what marie callenders had ..

Green Chile Kitchen in Yukon can make that.

Went to Johnnie's--definitely cream topping now; used to be meringue.

Will contact Katie's and Railroad and Green Chile, which is a new name for me, but I'm game to find out. Hadn't thought of Beverly's, but that's another possibility.

Ah yes, the type of filling under the meringue--it is a coconut pudding-like filling, which some may call "coconut cream" to distinguish it from a filling that is more like a coconut custard or what some might call a macaroon-like filling (not macaron; different type of cookie).

Thanks to everyone who responded. I now have places to research...or better yet, to visit and try their other offerings.

I'll let you know if I find what I'm hunting.

Thread Information