Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse angle parking... your thoughts?

Default Reverse angle parking... your thoughts?

I've heard that this "reverse angle parking" concept is being tried or tested over by UCO. Has something to do with the bike lanes? What are some thoughts on this?

Default Re: Reverse angle parking... your thoughts?

I think it's a good idea, but it's going to take enforcement and training. I anticipate folks parking front in from the opposite direction, which will negate the safety benefits.

If they can get it to work, great. But I can see this being an issue. It's the same with parallel parking. You have to pull pass the space and if someone is behind, they don't always give you the space to put your car in reverse and back into the space.

4. Default Re: Reverse angle parking... your thoughts?

This has been discussed somewhere here before. I've slowly become a fan of reverse angle parking. I have to did it a lot when we go to Austin and it does seem to work well.

I really wish they'd do this in downtown Edmond. It can be a nightmare to back out onto Broadway if a taller/longer vehicle is next to you.

I agree though, it takes the cooperation of the people behind you for this to work.

5. Default Re: Reverse angle parking... your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    This has been discussed somewhere here before. I've slowly become a fan of reverse angle parking. I have to did it a lot when we go to Austin and it does seem to work well.
    I believe it was discussed on the Lindsey Street thread.

Am I the only one who think people will just cross the street and park on the other side the other way because that's how they are used to doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Am I the only one who think people will just cross the street and park on the other side the other way because that's how they are used to doing it?
    Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see that happen. I don't go into Edmond except on a have to basis, but what Brian noted about backing out on Broadway could be applied in many communities. I rarely park on Main in DT Norman for the same reason. Folks blaze through DT Norman like crazy. I hate backing out in our DT ... unless I am the one in the big tank. Daddy bought beemers and Soccer mom crossovers tend to give wide berths to the 20+ year tank.

If I am in my lovely's Honda or other regular size vehicle, I park elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    This is how people on NW 7th at Hudson are doing it. There is no signage telling them what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

I really wish they'd do this in downtown Edmond. It can be a nightmare to back out onto Broadway if a taller/longer vehicle is next to you.

I agree though, it takes the cooperation of the people behind you for this to work.
    Downtown Edmond needs parallel parking, not reverse angled, imo.

for a little background, there's only 2 parts of university avenue that have this - about 5-6 spots in front of campus optical, and about 10 spots in front of an apartment building just south of ayers.

the vast majority of drivers don't know how to angle park, apparently. it definitely is going to require some education.

I've taken a look at these a couple times recently, and have only ever seen about two cars parked correctly in them. I'm not sure if this style of parking is a good idea if nobody knows how to use them.

My favorite part of this article is where she says people going to the eye doctor are mostly older. Shouldn't everyone go to the eye doctor once a year? I know I do. I'm not sure it has anything to do with age.

Yeah... it really has to do with people being afraid of change. People say they can't use it because it confusing and people don't understand how it works, WELL LEARN HOW TO USE IT!!!! lol How are people going to get used to something if they don't even try it? Have to start somewhere.

If I were to try to teach the various parking methods to my teen-aged daughter, I'd lots rather teach her reverse angle parking and feel better about what I think she could accomplish. This just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    If I were to try to teach the various parking methods to my teen-aged daughter, I'd lots rather teach her reverse angle parking and feel better about what I think she could accomplish. This just seems like a no-brainer to me.
    I don't get it either. Back into an empty parking space or back into the street - one of those just seems so much safer and easier to me. Couple that with the trunk of the car being at the sidewalk and open doors creating a barrier between passengers (especially children) and the street and honestly, I don't know why we even allow front-in parking at all. I have started backing in the driveway at home. It makes leaving so much easier.

I had to laugh at the lady in the article who got confused about the angle of the parking and pulled in front-first even though she was going the wrong way with traffic. How ingrained is parking habits that despite visual clues all over the place that you are doing it wrong - you do it anyhow?

Again, the theory of these new parking spaces is fine, but almost nobody who is actually using them understands how they are supposed to park in them. I'll take another look when I drive by later today, but I really don't expect to see much of a difference compared to the last few times I have checked.

Maybe they should just put a sign at each parking space that reads:

If you can
    read this
    you are a
    Moron. -
    Back in
    next time

Yeah, when I drove by the apartments yesterday not a single person was parked correctly. It's pretty clear that just painting the stripes and hoping the public figures it out is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yeah, when I drove by the apartments yesterday not a single person was parked correctly. It's pretty clear that just painting the stripes and hoping the public figures it out is not working.
    Maybe the city should park a city vehicle there correctly for a few days so people have an example.

Aside from yesterday when there were none parked correctly, there are usually one or two correct and the rest incorrect when I drive by. One or two correct examples is already not helping.

Aside from yesterday when there were none parked correctly, there are usually one or two correct and the rest incorrect when I drive by. One or two correct examples is already not helping.
    I guess Ron White was correct then... you can't fix stupid. Time for a cop to stand there writing warning tickets for a week or so before switching over to real tickets.

It's pretty clear that just painting the stripes and hoping the public figures it out is not working.
    Why would one think that'd work? If it did, then they could've saved a lot of money doing Project 180 and just painted a yellow stripe down the middle of the streets and said "This bitch is two way now."

When people have driven a certain way for so many years, you can't just expect them to change without a little coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Why would one think that'd work? If it did, then they could've saved a lot of money doing Project 180 and just painted a yellow stripe down the middle of the streets and said "This bitch is two way now."

When people have driven a certain way for so many years, you can't just expect them to change without a little coaching.
    That's pretty much my point exactly.

What I'm starting to despair of is the people sitting on the sidelines calling the people who aren't parking right idiots for not being mind-readers.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

That's pretty much my point exactly.

What I'm starting to despair of is the people sitting on the sidelines calling the people who aren't parking right idiots for not being mind-readers.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    To be fair, I was just kidding about the sign - hence the smiley face. However, there is a sign and physical examples not to mention the parking spaces are backwards. What are you supposed to call people who can't figure that out after a couple of days?

I didn't understand the HAWK system the first time I encountered either, but I only had Google it to figure it out, which I did that first night.

The new flashing yellow left turn arrows must be confusing the hell out of people.

Thread Information