Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban district competition?

Default Urban district competition?

Right now, OKC has several emerging urban districts competing with each other. Bricktown is currently the only district that I would say is at critical mass and has "arrived." The rest are still very much in the gentrification process. The competing districts are as follows.

-Midtown
    -Automobile Alley
    -Film Row
    -16th St Plaza
    -Western Ave/Classen Curve
    -Uptown 23rd
    -Paseo

On top of this, the Core 2 Shore area will likely be added to the mix within the next 10 years as Central Park is completed and it starts to develop. My question is do you think there will end up being winners and losers? Will OKC be able to support all of these districts at or near critical mass or will we see a scenario in which Midtown explodes and another district like Film Row or Auto Alley stagnates?

2. Post Re: Urban district competition?

don't forget about these, albeit they are more ethnic enclaves than urban districts but still:

-Capital Hill
    -Asian District
    -Eastside-NE 23rd
    -NW 39th Street Enclave
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Urban district competition?

Deep Deuce!

4. Default Re: Urban district competition?

I totally agree that Bricktown is the furthest along of OKC's urban districts and has the most critical mass of any in the state, not just the city. And since Bricktown is adding more and more infill and it is LIKELY that lower Bricktown will get more quality development (or at least infill) in those existing parking lots; Bricktown will add even more critical mass and likely will not ever be challenged.

Uptown is probably next since it has a nice stock of buildings to work with and there has been a lot of recent developments and new building. AAlley is next and is likely OKC's urban retail destination (downtown) - I'm thinking along the lines of a SoHo vibe. Midtown would be next but there's lot of land to work with, BUT everything built or renovated so far is nice with more coming online soon. Honestly, it's kind of hard to tell where AAlley ends and Midtown begins since there is a stock of Midtown immediately next to AAlley. Film Row is coming along nicely and has the best chance for a Hollywood type feel to it.

Of the rest, I think Plaza, Paseo, and 39th Street are the furthest along. Plaza is the current leader IMO but it will be interesting to see how it grows since there is still a lot of area outside of the current boundary/street that 'could' be developed. I think Paseo looks great but really needs a destination stop or two to get people to the district. Unique shopping should do the trick but I wonder if there's any plans for it since Uptown is coming along.

I'm a bit disappointed with the Eastside and Capital Hill, since development moves at a snail's pace if at all in those hoods. CH is just letting that otherwise incredible building stock sit and rot while the Eastside cleared nearly everything so there's fields abutting NE 23rd - UGLY!!! I wish Asian District would adopt a unique code for buildings so it could be more Chinatown like and less strip-mall with exposed parking lots. 39th Street has solid development but it is quite small and starting to run down. I'm surprised at this since most gayhoods in other cities have prime development. I'd like to see some serious development happen to pick the area up from 'dive' status to 'hip' with the focus on LGBT but where everyone could feel safe to enjoy or patronize.

I think N Western/Classen Curve is too disconnected. There is no flow and CC has its own vibe that is totally different than the 'organic' feel of N Western. As has been said, sidewalk and perhaps themed lighting would go a very long way for that area; along with a code agreement so that new developments fill the gaps correctly. The area has wonderful potential but is just too darn disconnected for my takes (unless you have a car).

Anyways, those are my thoughts.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Pete and I talked about this a little when he was in town. It would be great if we could wrap up some of these districts instead of spreading our resources into every possible project. It would help increase critical mass quicker and get people in OKC more familiar with a more urban lifestyle. Deep Deuce will likely be near completion in the next 3 to 5 years. Very few if any lots will be undeveloped/unused, and most of the major money that's going in down here has already happened, so that will free up these developers to start looking into other parts of town. So that will help.

Now, of the places you mentioned, I think there are several categories:

Small districts: Plaza, Paseo, Film Row, Western Ave and even 39th enclave & Asian district ... These districts all generally have a full building stock. The focus on these areas isn't primarily big money projects. They are not a particularly large burden on the OKC development resources. These areas just need to be taken one building at a time and making the best out of the existing stock in the area that's possible. There shouldn't be much of a need for $2.5M + investments and new builds or major reconstructions at this point. Film Row is the outlier here, because it's actually a bit of a bigger of a district, but there is a lot of building stock that just needs investment more than the necessity for large/dense/new projects.

Large districts: Midtown, AA, Uptown 23rd, Capitol Hill, HSC, Eastside/NE 23rd ... These are all really big districts and they are going to need a lot of resources to bring them to their full potential. Aside from a major economic downturn in OKC, the only real threat to these areas that I see in the future is C2S. That area needs so many resources it's unreal, and if we don't get all these other districts to critical mass before we shift focus to C2S then that's the first real risk I see for stagnation in these districts.

Now, do you focus on Midtown and neglect AA or Uptown? That's difficult to say, and I think OKC has enough resources internally for the pace we're setting now, but I'm not sure that we can accelerate much faster by ourselves. We need more outside money coming in like from the Bomasda group for The Metropolitan. In the absence of outside money, I think we're left with the major players in each district doing what they do...we just need to hope they do an excellent job.

If I were ranking them in which order I think the districts should hit critical mass:

1. Uptown 23rd
    2. AA (Metropolitan was a game changer...would not have said this 12 months ago)
    3. HSC (This district is an important economic base for OKC and anything to accelerate it's importance in our market is hedging against an Energy downturn).
    4. Midtown (I'm okay with leaving this area in the hands of Midtown Renaissance for the time being based on what they've done so far.)
    5. Eastside/NE 23rd (I don't know much about this district...I'm only usually over here for Bobos!)
    6. Capitol Hill (So much potential...so far away...needs a street car route in a bad way).

One thing Deep Deuce needs is a well defined center. It has a well defined boundary but it lacks a central focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I'm biased for sure but I'm not sure how you don't start and end any conversation about Urban neighborhoods in Oklahoma City without Deep Deuce. It is the most Urban neighborhood in all of Oklahoma. Just look at a map of it today and look at a map of what it will be in 2 years as well. In a couple of years, it will be almost 100% built out. And it is being built out in a an "urban" fashion. Urban being a form term.
    I agree. Deep Deuce has the best environment that fosters human interaction...which is the definition of urbanity.

I think Deep Deuce and Bricktown are categorically different. Deep Deuce is primarily a residential district, and Bricktown is primarily an entertainment district. Both have components of the other. DD will likely never have the volume of people that Bricktown is capable of having at one time.

It will be interesting to see how Maywood Apts. Phase II and The Steelyard change the 2 neighborhoods.

For people who dog on Bricktown, I think it's pretty clear that Deep Deuce has Bricktown to thank for its initial success and I think seeing the Metropolitan pop up gives us an indication that we should probably try and build these districts on top of one another.

Maybe some definitions are in order.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...A3Jl4V69aheugQ

I love Auto Alley and think it has great potential but it is not very walkable the way that Broadway is set up now. I went to the Shop Hop last night and there were quite a few people walking around but still crossing Broadway can be a life threatening experience. Cars are going by entirely too fast and rarely do people stop for pedestrians in the clearly marked crosswalks between 10th street and 6th street. I work at 9th and Robinson and it is only a two block walk to the 9th street restaurants which I love but I have to get the courage up to cross the street in high heels and a skirt. Most days I would rather walk 4 blocks over to 10th and Walker and cross at the roundabout where every car stops for pedestrians in the crosswalks. I have heard about the reconfiguration of Broadway for years but until it truly happens I am afraid there won't be much pedestrian traffic there.

They need to put stop lights on every street.

The only thing that won't stop is the streetcar...unless at it's designated stop.

They must follow all vehicle traffic laws. If someone is in the marked crosswalk and beginning to cross or indicating they wish to cross (standing and looking for a traffic break) all vehicles must stop and yield the right of way to the pedestrian. The streetcar will have to follow that traffic law.

This is true.

But also, typically you time your stop-lights around the streetcar. Not that the streetcar will never stop at lights, but it ought to be pretty consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Please no! Stop signs would work just fine.
    Whatever would work best for the area. Maybe signs on 9th, 7th, 5th. Add a light on 8th.

The problem is...people get way too much momentum on that street. Crossing is very tricky.

I don't think there needs to be lights at every block but something that slows down traffic. I have noticed signs at other crosswalks around town that indicate that it is a state law to stop at crosswalk when pedestrians are crossing. There are no such signs here. Plus the width of the lanes encourage drivers to go faster than is advisable in an area with so many crosswalks that I am sure people don't realize the crosswalks are there or they are "inconvenient" for the drivers.

17. Default Re: Urban district competition?

Agreed. Much like too many residents of our fair city, this street is obese and is in need of a diet.

In response to the topic, I think longevity of any district ultimately comes down to the businesses that make it up. Is what they have to offer competitive, are they willing to adapt and change along with our city as it adapts and changes. From my point of view, someday when people can say the Plaza District has "arrived", is when we need to work even harder. Districts are never finished, and in my opinion are always delicate. If every area of town developed at once I don't think we'd have the mass to support them all, but I think as we grow districts, we are also growing and attracting people to support them.

19. Default Re: Urban district competition?

Reason #657 why the Plaza District is kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Reason #657 why the Plaza District is kicking ass.
    Well, wrangling over the around 50 stakeholders to work together, pushing them to adapt and progress...way easier said than done for any district. But, healthy competition between the districts will probably be a good thing to keep everyone on their toes!

21. Default Re: Urban district competition?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC plaza View Post
    Well, wrangling over the around 50 stakeholders to work together, pushing them to adapt and progress...way easier said than done for any district. But, healthy competition between the districts will probably be a good thing to keep everyone on their toes!
    As a veteran of two districts (one of them as a Main Street manager), you're preaching to the choir. Like I've told you before, you do an amazing job!

Yes, Kristen Vails (Executive Director of the Plaza District) does fantastic work.

The Paseo District and most the others should take lessons.

23. Default Re: Urban district competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I think Deep Deuce and Bricktown are categorically different. Deep Deuce is primarily a residential district, and Bricktown is primarily an entertainment district. Both have components of the other. DD will likely never have the volume of people that Bricktown is capable of having at one time.

It will be interesting to see how Maywood Apts. Phase II and The Steelyard change the 2 neighborhoods.

For people who dog on Bricktown, I think it's pretty clear that Deep Deuce has Bricktown to thank for its initial success and I think seeing the Metropolitan pop up gives us an indication that we should probably try and build these districts on top of one another.
    This. But it's not so much a tribute to Bricktown, as nightlife usually does get clustered in one focus area in a city. Bricktown's evolution is to transition into a more well-rounded neighborhood. Deep Deuce is also such a small geographic area compared to urban districts in more established cities that the extent to which Deep Deuce and Bricktown work together is significant. A comparable district in Cleveland Pittsburgh or St Louis tends to cover an entire square mile and have residential pops around 20,000 and multiple entertainment/restaurant/retail corridors. Comparatively, Deep Deuce is OKC's jump start on true new urbanism and has a highly concentrated critical mass within just a few blocks.

I don't think that OKC is at risk of over-building for a while, especially because I am not confident that some prime areas of OKC will take off, like the Farmer's Market area (depending on the decisions we make there). OKC needs critical mass in order for urban living to be more than an impractical novelty.

Thread Information