Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nichols Hills mansions

Default Nichols Hills mansions

I was driving through Nichols Hills the other day and drove by a couple of estates. I have seen them before but now curious enough to ask. There are two mansions on Kenilworth and Nichols. Anyone know who owns these? The houses are huge and both have so much acerage. Impressive.

(Hopefully this google map link works)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Default Re: Nichols Hills mansions

The huge house on the SE corner of Nichols & Kenilworth is the former Oklahoma Museum of Art, also known as the Buttram Mansion. It was sold (I believe to a doctor) when it moved to it's new location near the civic center and was renamed the Oklahoma City Art Museum. It is a private residence but I know the owners host lots of fundraising events there.

The big house immediately east of there is owned by Bill Cameron, the Chairman/CEO of American Fidelity.

Thanks Pete. Both those places are massive and very hidden.

What about the huge white house on the corner of penn and grand blvd(iirc)? It has a fence around it

Kuykendall.

Oops - my bad. Kuykendall is at the SE/C of Penn & WILSHIRE. The "house" at SW/C of Penn & GRAND is the Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club. Nobody lives there except for gophers and a frustrated greenskeeper.

I don't live in a mansion, by any stretch of the imagination, but if a stranger were to ask a third party, 'who lives in that (my) house?' I'd be a wee bit creeped out.

9. Default Re: Nichols Hills mansions

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I don't live in a mansion, by any stretch of the imagination, but if a stranger were to ask a third party, 'who lives in that (my) house?' I'd be a wee bit creeped out.
    Poor people. Hard life. Having to deal with commeners and their silly curiosities about their palatial housing quarters.

10. Default Re: Nichols Hills mansions

Nah, you wouldn't be creeped out. Most mansions are owned by celebrities. Nothing wrong with knowing common info.

Conspicuous consumption makes you conspicuous.

The bourgeoisie live in those mansions. Now get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Poor people. Hard life. Having to deal with commeners and their silly curiosities about their palatial housing quarters.
    Yeah, you didn't read my post. Palatial? Sure, for $150,000 you too can live in a palace like mine.

14. Default Re: Nichols Hills mansions

Yeah, you didn't read my post. Palatial? Sure, for $150,000 you too can live in a palace like mine.
    That wasn't directed toward you, skyrick. I meant the people living in those houses that you felt would be creeped out. If you go back and read it you'll see the sarcasm toward them. Not you - at all. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    The huge house on the SE corner of Nichols & Kenilworth is the former Oklahoma Museum of Art, also known as the Buttram Mansion. It was sold (I believe to a doctor) when it moved to it's new location near the civic center and was renamed the Oklahoma City Art Museum. It is a private residence but I know the owners host lots of fundraising events there.

The big house immediately east of there is owned by Bill Cameron, the Chairman/CEO of American Fidelity.
    And Harold Hamm lives on the west side of Avondale there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    That wasn't directed toward you, skyrick. I meant the people living in those houses that you felt would be creeped out. If you go back and read it you'll see the sarcasm toward them. Not you - at all. Sorry for the confusion.
    OK, sorry for the mis-interpretation.

But I was referring to the creepiness factor I would feel if someone were inquiring about my humble abode in that way.

nothing creepy about being curious as you drive by. now, if they come home and you're in the living room, or peering in through the little window from the back patio ... yeah, then you'd be major creepy.
    Last edited by kevinpate; 10-05-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typo

18. Default Re: Nichols Hills mansions

It's just public info....it's all on the assesor's website. If you're nosey enough, you can find out all kinds of things.

Words of advice:

When driving through Nichols Hills--"sightseeing"/"casing the joint"--be sure not to drive over 25 mph. They have a zero-tolerance policy on speeders.

When proceeding south on Penn, in a "truck", and you encounter those signs by the side of the road that say: "No Passing No Trucks" it is probably best just to keep on proceeding south, hoping you don't encounter a police car, rather than trying to back up all the way to Britton Road so you can comply with community roadway use standards. This is especially true if you are driving a semi-trailer rig.

On the other hand, if you interpret the "No Passing No Trucks" signs in a slightly different way, you might want to think twice about passing the pickup in front of you even if it is only going 15 mph.

Did they ever repeal that ordinance about no pickup trucks visibly parked in driveways overnight?
    If not, that could be another item of concern.
    For both burglars and "sightseers".

I enjoy an occasional drive through Nichols Hills, in transit from point A to B. The speed limit enables one to smell the roses, while not having to dodge vehicles parked on the side of the road, or worse. Nice to see monster SUVs not dwarfing the housing structures.

Nice job, NH.

It also depends if you are a NH resident or not. They tend to turn a blind eye if you have car with registered NH plates.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    It also depends if you are a NH resident or not. They tend to turn a blind eye if you have car with registered NH plates.
    Exactly what are "registered NH plates?"

The ones with the little sticker featuring the Monopoly Man with his nose upturned in a snooty manner like that of the New Yorker Magazine icon. (Or else with plates from New Hampshire).

Stopping to smell the roses in Nichols Hills will result in both a traffic and trespassing citation.
    Especially if you are driving a truck.

For almost the last ten years of my employment I drove to and from work on Wilshire from Air Depot to May, then Grand around Hefner golf course to Hertz. The two miles through NH was always a pleasant part of the drive. No road rage, people generally obeying speed limits and I found out I was in a much nicer mood at work than when I was driving on I-35/44 to MacArthur and Northwest Expressway. Plus, it took less than five minutes longer. And actually, there was very little traffic for the complete drive from home.
    C. T.

(i'll be honest with you: i love driving down Grand Blvd.and seeing those fine old homes. and Nichols Hills is still spectacular at Christmas)

Thread Information