Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Guys

Large Chain Five Guys

So I submitted feedback about a Five Guys store I visited in St. Louis last month and also asked when we might be getting a store here. Today, the GM of that store got back to me:

I've heard that the district has been bought and you may see a store somewhere there around the 2nd quarter of next year.
    Hopefully this turns out to be true. They've had massive expansion in the last few years, with stores in some 40 states (including stores in Wichita and Dallas). It'll be nice to get one here. Their burgers and fries are out of control!

Default Re: Five Guys Burgers and Fries possibly coming to OKC Spring 2011

They have opened up here in Austin in the last year. I have been less than impressed with the ones here but every market and even stores within a market can be different.

3. Default Re: Five Guys Burgers and Fries possibly coming to OKC Spring 2011

It was my favorite burger when I lived in Orlando, but living here...we don't really need Five Guys. We have so many other LOCAL places that have a good burger that we just don't need a Five Guys. I confirmed this when I was in St. Louis in the Spring and decided to go to Five Guys since I had not been to one in about a year since leaving Florida, and I thought it was so-so. I decided that our selections here are great for a burger fix. For me, between RePUBlic and Flat Tire, I'm all set.

Besides, it so much better to support locally-based businesses, I know that franchise owners are local, but the business is not based here. Support Okla.-owned, operated, and based restaurants first and we'll develop a richer small business environment and a more solid local economy.

We were stuck in chain city being in Orlando (I was told that they are so popular there because families on vacation want familiar restaurants that they know their kids will eat at) and now we have so many great local restaurants from which to choose. We love it!

I agree. It's fine if a new chain to our area wants to open here and it's great if it's successful. We aren't, however, lacking in good choices for both local and chain restaurants that offer very good burgers. No one place can please everone but we aren't underserved.

Sounds like a couple less people in line ahead of me. Sweet.

Five Guys really is overrated. I had them in Florida this summer, I had to pay $20 for me and my aunt to eat lunch. And for the amount of food we got (2 burgers with fries and drinks), was Burger King quality. Super small patties and not much mass for the price.

I rather go to Nic's for $25.

7. Default Re: Five Guys Burgers and Fries possibly coming to OKC Spring 2011

Heck, for $25 you could feed four people at Nic's.

My point exactly, Steve. I don't know why the cult following at five guy's....it's expensive fast food -- taste, size, and quality.

9. Default Re: Five Guys Burgers and Fries possibly coming to OKC Spring 2011

ya, I tried them here in Seattle and I wasn't impressed.

I think it is mainly hype because President Obama likes them. Maybe they are different in DC/Chicago, but I was not impressed with what they offered here.

Nevertheless, I hope OKC gets one just so they are there. I think OKC should have one of everything, as a big city. If nothing else, just so there are choices and variety - and also 'comforts' for people visiting. ....
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Five guys won't cost $25 for two people. You cold easily feed a fam of four on that at 5 guys. He was prob at Disney world or some touristy area

No, I was in Gainesville, FL. I am not kidding, the price was $18.93 after tax for two people to eat a very light meal. I was hungry by the time I got back to the house (30 mins away). Maybe the one you go to costs less.

12. Default Re: Five Guys Burgers and Fries possibly coming to OKC Spring 2011

Metro, I just checked out the menu for the Dallas restaurant. A cheeseburger, regular order fries and a medium drink cost $9.97 before taxes. Sounds like SkyWest nailed it on cost.

I think my buddy and I got out of there for just under $20, I think it was, last month in St. Louis. Two burgers, two fries, two drinks. So yeah, it's not exactly the McDonald's Dollar Menu. And their regular burgers are double-patties, their singles are cheaper. Thing is, a regular (small) order of fries is under $3 and they give you a ton of them--enough for two people, maybe even three. If we had known how many fries they give you we just would have split an order--that would have brought it down to maybe $16 or so, which isn't too far from what you might pay for a similar order at, say, Johnnie's for example. But yeah, not the cheapest place around.

Taste and portion size are subjective. For me, it was one of the best fast food burgers I've ever had, and the cajun fries were easily the best fries I've ever had, even though I probably just liked them because Obama likes them. And it was more than enough food to fill me up for the rest of the day.

(Free peanuts while you wait for your order, too.)

Not on a Saturday afternoon, you couldn't.

Is it a similar format to Red Robin or more like Steak n Shake?

Between the two, I'd say it's closer to Steak 'n Shake, but without the waiters, and with better food.

Ordering process is more-similar to Johnnie's, though, but in a more typical fast-food setting. Go to the counter, place your order, go sit down, they call you up when it's ready. Only they have a really limited menu--pretty much just burgers, fries, and hot dogs is all they do.

Also very similar to In-N-Out, if you've ever been to one of those. Very similar.

I personally like Five Guys and I feel like you pay for what you get! Great fries that are fresh, not frozen, burgers are quite tasty at Five Guys. I live near the Five Guys at the Galleria in Dallas, and it is "always" packed with people. The quality is very good and I feel the prices are good for the "quality" you get. Lots of competition in Dallas, as In-N-Out is now opening in the DFW area.

17. Default Re: Five Guys Burgers and Fries possibly coming to OKC Spring 2011

We have them here in Denver and of that genre of burger places, they are the best IMO. Their fries are out of this world and their burgers are great for the money. STAY FAR FAR AWAY IF YOU HAVE PEANUT ALLERGIES, THOUGH.....

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Is it a similar format to Red Robin or more like Steak n Shake?
    not like either, but if you'd have to compare, it's closer to Steak N Shake with more of a diner, plain brown bag, no marketing gimmicks, no frills place with higher quality ingredients.

Sounds like my kinda place then...I'm all for good burgers and fries chain or no chain

9 or 10 dollars for a burger, fry and drink sounds like all the places around the metro. Doesn't sound high to me.

I've been to Nics many times and you can't feed four people on 25 dollars.

Five Guys Burgers remind me of In-N-Out burgers. Really awesome stuff. I hope we do get one here.

We used to go to Five Guys when we lived in Virginia. The deal, for those that don't know, is that you get to add any of a long, long list of fixins' included in the base cost. For the same price, you can get a plain cheeseburger or one that is loaded up with bacon, mushrooms, jalopenas, onions, grilled onions, tomatoes, blah, blah, blah. The burgers are good but we have ones in the OKC area that are just as good for less money. They are fresh, too, which is great. I LOVED the fries, did I mention that? They didn't sell onion rings, unfortunately.

That being said, they were quite pricey and I always felt like I'd spent way too much for what I got. Except those fries. Where we lived, it was worth it to go because there weren't any decent burger joints. Here, there are quite a few that cost less.

But the fries. Go for the fries.

I'm going back up to St. Louis again next week. I'm planning on bringing back enough Five Guys' burgers and fries to last me until the one here in town opens up next year.

Sitting in a Five Guys right now. $9.44 total for a single-patty cheeseburger, small fries, and a small drink.

And they have Mr. Pibb from the fountain, too. Oh, snap.

Thread Information