Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bunny's

Northwest OKC Bunny's

What follows is what I just sent to Bunny's Onion Burgers....

I hate to say it, but I will probably not be back... here's why... I hope someone cares...

It was about 5:30 this Monday evening, March 7, when I pulled up to Bunny's Onion Burgers at 50th and N. Meridian, and the first bad sign... the place is empty at dinner time.
    It's been a couple of years since I've been in, but after watching Oklahoma City A to Z last night on OETA (I had recorded it on my DVR), we liked what we saw, and what the heck - wanted to try you out again.
    When I came in, I was met by a young blonde girl - friendly or even mildly interested in her job would not be how I would describe her demeanor... bad sign #2.
    Next, I placed my order, and sat down at one of the tables. The other person (working?) - a guy with a tattoo on his neck and ear-buds in his ears, appeared, and began to apparently "train" the young girl on how to clean the grill before cooking. Her not catching on apparently, he just cleaned the grill himself in preparation to cook my burgers.
    A few minutes later - and I mean several minutes - she walked over to my table, and said, "I've been told to inform you that we are out of onion rings"... really... an onion burger joint that's out of onion rings?! Again, no emotion or anything like "gee, were really sorry that we ran out of onion rings, can we offer you some other mouthwatering gem, or at least give you a rain check for a free order next time your in?" No, nothing so friendly as that - just "I was told to inform you bla bla bla...." bad sign #3...
    Next, while waiting, I could see that my fries were already done in the fry basket and waiting on the burgers - AND I could tell from where I sat, that they were not cooked enough - almost raw looking and no nice brown "come and eat me now" color. So in my friendliest manner, I said to the waitress that we like our fries kind of well done, so please cook them longer. She kind of looked at me funny, like I just told her that she smelled funny or something, and I could see that she did not bother to pass on the message to "the cook?". Well, he must of heard I guess, cause a min or two later, after he had finished bagging the burgers, he gave her a funny glance, as if to say "gee, I guess we'll cook the fries some more for the guy who thinks we don't know how to cook fries", and reaching behind him, grabbed the basket and dropped them back in the fryer for a bit. When he pulled them back out, they still didn't have any real brown color to them, and he proceeded to bag them for me. (sigh), I wasn't going to challenge them any further - either they understand how make crispy frees or they don't - at that point it was obvious that trying to do a bang-up job was NOT job one for them. As they were bagging me up to leave, I made some polite conversation about seeing Bunny's on the OETA special, at which point the "cook" took out his ear buds, and mentioned that he was there and training that day - and sure enough, when I went back to watch the show, there he was. Nice enough guy I suppose - and her too - but it was pretty clear that she would have rather been checking her face-book page or something, and he... well he just wanted to get his ear-buds back in. So, how many more bad signs is that... at this point I don't think it matters. When I got home, the fries of course were undercooked (soggy and limp) - and went straight to the garbage. OK, so the burgers just passed the "are these things safe to eat" test, and were actually pretty good - but on balance, that's not enough to bring me back in the door. If I thought these people actually gave a crap about being there and making sure I was going to get some bitchin' food - I might be inclined to give them another chance to get it right. But with the "I could care less about being here" attitude dripping off the rafters, I don't need that - I'd rather go down the street to the mexican run McDonalds, where all 30 faces look eager to make sure I get it right, and that I actually want to come back - because they actually get it - I could stand in their parking lot and hit another half-dozen places to eat with a stone, and they know it.

Now you may think that I had a little too much fun writing this, and might be inclined to just write me off as someone who had a bad day anyway, and is just looking for some poor dog to kick - and I cannot tell a lie, it did made me sit back and grin a little 'cause I finally got off my lazy ass and wrote a valid complaint about something that actually happens to me more than... well... more than chance or... too often - lets just put it that way. But I am dead serious man, and would not have even bothered if I was not sure that you (that is, whoever owns this place now), are actually concerned about staying in business, because with all the competition out there (that I could hit with a stone, remember?) like Little Mikes, who is closer to me anyhow, and as of last night, 150% better - I have no reason to be back. And I'm not trying to get anyone fired - I don't want anyone to lose their job - but let this be a lesson to them, and a chance to understand why they are there and who pays their check. I was once a teenager working in a fast food place, and you bet, my mind was on the cute girls in line, NOT what I was about to feed them - but I can tell you after a few good complaints, I started to care. Good luck to you, I really hope this gets through, and that you can keep this place open so that even these two can keep a job.

Michael

Default Re: Bunny's better get hoppin!

Quote Originally Posted by MSully View Post

I hate to say it, but I will probably not be back... here's why... I hope someone cares...

It was about 5:30 this Monday evening, March 7, when I pulled up to Bunny's Onion Burgers at 50th and N. Meridian, and the first bad sign... the place is empty at dinner time.
    It's been a couple of years since I've been in, but after watching Oklahoma City A to Z last night on OETA (I had recorded it on my DVR), we liked what we saw, and what the heck - wanted to try you out again.
    When I came in, I was met by a young blonde girl - friendly or even mildly interested in her job would not be how I would describe her demeanor... bad sign #2.
    Next, I placed my order, and sat down at one of the tables. The other person (working?) - a guy with a tattoo on his neck and ear-buds in his ears, appeared, and began to apparently "train" the young girl on how to clean the grill before cooking. Her not catching on apparently, he just cleaned the grill himself in preparation to cook my burgers.
    A few minutes later - and I mean several minutes - she walked over to my table, and said, "I've been told to inform you that we are out of onion rings"... really... an onion burger joint that's out of onion rings?! Again, no emotion or anything like "gee, were really sorry that we ran out of onion rings, can we offer you some other mouthwatering gem, or at least give you a rain check for a free order next time your in?" No, nothing so friendly as that - just "I was told to inform you bla bla bla...." bad sign #3...
    Next, while waiting, I could see that my fries were already done in the fry basket and waiting on the burgers - AND I could tell from where I sat, that they were not cooked enough - almost raw looking and no nice brown "come and eat me now" color. So in my friendliest manner, I said to the waitress that we like our fries kind of well done, so please cook them longer. She kind of looked at me funny, like I just told her that she smelled funny or something, and I could see that she did not bother to pass on the message to "the cook?". Well, he must of heard I guess, cause a min or two later, after he had finished bagging the burgers, he gave her a funny glance, as if to say "gee, I guess we'll cook the fries some more for the guy who thinks we don't know how to cook fries", and reaching behind him, grabbed the basket and dropped them back in the fryer for a bit. When he pulled them back out, they still didn't have any real brown color to them, and he proceeded to bag them for me. (sigh), I wasn't going to challenge them any further - either they understand how make crispy frees or they don't - at that point it was obvious that trying to do a bang-up job was NOT job one for them. As they were bagging me up to leave, I made some polite conversation about seeing Bunny's on the OETA special, at which point the "cook" took out his ear buds, and mentioned that he was there and training that day - and sure enough, when I went back to watch the show, there he was. Nice enough guy I suppose - and her too - but it was pretty clear that she would have rather been checking her face-book page or something, and he... well he just wanted to get his ear-buds back in. So, how many more bad signs is that... at this point I don't think it matters. When I got home, the fries of course were undercooked (soggy and limp) - and went straight to the garbage. OK, so the burgers just passed the "are these things safe to eat" test, and were actually pretty good - but on balance, that's not enough to bring me back in the door. If I thought these people actually gave a crap about being there and making sure I was going to get some bitchin' food - I might be inclined to give them another chance to get it right. But with the "I could care less about being here" attitude dripping off the rafters, I don't need that - I'd rather go down the street to the mexican run McDonalds, where all 30 faces look eager to make sure I get it right, and that I actually want to come back - because they actually get it - I could stand in their parking lot and hit another half-dozen places to eat with a stone, and they know it.

Now you may think that I had a little too much fun writing this, and might be inclined to just write me off as someone who had a bad day anyway, and is just looking for some poor dog to kick - and I cannot tell a lie, it did made me sit back and grin a little 'cause I finally got off my lazy ass and wrote a valid complaint about something that actually happens to me more than... well... more than chance or... too often - lets just put it that way. But I am dead serious man, and would not have even bothered if I was not sure that you (that is, whoever owns this place now), are actually concerned about staying in business, because with all the competition out there (that I could hit with a stone, remember?) like Little Mikes, who is closer to me anyhow, and as of last night, 150% better - I have no reason to be back. And I'm not trying to get anyone fired - I don't want anyone to lose their job - but let this be a lesson to them, and a chance to understand why they are there and who pays their check. I was once a teenager working in a fast food place, and you bet, my mind was on the cute girls in line, NOT what I was about to feed them - but I can tell you after a few good complaints, I started to care. Good luck to you, I really hope this gets through, and that you can keep this place open so that even these two can keep a job.

Michael
    I had lunch at Bunny's on Friday, from your description, the same two (plus one more) were working the lunch period, and as per all my visits, the burger was great and fries were hot and fresh. Everyone can, and does, have an occasional bad day.

Michael
    I thank you for taking the time to share this! But I do have a question --during the moments when you saw the lack of care or how the food was cooked - were you tempted to just walk out? I'm not sure I would stayed long enough to pay for poor service or poor food...nope.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I had lunch at Bunny's on Friday, from your description, the same two (plus one more) were working the lunch period, and as per all my visits, the burger was great and fries were hot and fresh. Everyone can, and does, have an occasional bad day.
    I might buy that if...
    I wasn't the only customer - ok, one other person walked in while I was there.
    I didn't specifically ask for well done fries.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I thank you for taking the time to share this! But I do have a question --during the moments when you saw the lack of care or how the food was cooked - were you tempted to just walk out? I'm not sure I would stayed long enough to pay for poor service or poor food...nope.
    Like I said - the burgers were okay, and I wasn't going to know about those until I got them home anyway.
    And I did ask to have the fries cooked more, so I was leaving anyway cause that's the last thing to get bagged.
    And, there have been times I have walked out - probably should have right when I was informed that there were no onion rings...

Bad sign #4, you ate dinner at 5:30 on a Monday and expected it to be crowded.
    Bad sign #5, you probably spent an hour writing a negative review.

Bunny's is definitely much busier at lunch.

And their new location on S. Meridian has to be taking some business from that spot.

That's very true Pete. I bought lunch to go there last week and it was very busy. The food and service was great. Their kind of menu is definitely more for lunch than for dinner. If someone has bad food or bad service the management needs to be told though. That is much more effective than posting a long review here.

Where is their location on S Meridian?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Where is their location on S Meridian?
    It's in the same strip mall / center as Waffle house.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That's very true Pete. I bought lunch to go there last week and it was very busy. The food and service was great. Their kind of menu is definitely more for lunch than for dinner. If someone has bad food or bad service the management needs to be told though. That is much more effective than posting a long review here.
    My review started with, "What follows is what I just sent to Bunny's Onion Burgers....", so management has been told.
    If you all are interested, I will report here what their response is.

My review started with, "What follows is what I just sent to Bunny's Onion Burgers....", so management has been told.
    I'm interested. :-)

Yes, I did miss that. You're doing it the correct way. I have almost always found that unless it's a very poorly operated business it will give serious consideration to legitimate complaints when presented directly to management by a patron. I have had discussions in other threads here with those who felt it was more effective to post anonymous reviews online and I certainly disagree with that. Some online reviews are very well thought out but I always take those who complain with a grain of salt. People who are unhappy are much more likely to post a review than those who are pleased.

So far, no response from management....

Give it time. They probably haven't finished reading it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Give it time. They probably haven't finished reading it yet.
    HA HA - good one!
    But I had such a good time writing it!

I thought it was just me. I have lived in the area for almost nine years and thought the quality has gone down as well, especially the quality of the meat. Since the fire it has gone into a free fall. Hopefully they will make the necessary corrections. Tim's on 50th and MacArthur is still good. Love the Indian Tacos. I now go to Ron's on 50th and May. You can't beat their jalapeno fries.

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    I thought it was just me. I have lived in the area for almost nine years and thought the quality has gone down as well, especially the quality of the meat. Since the fire it has gone into a free fall. Hopefully they will make the necessary corrections. Tim's on 50th and MacArthur is still good. Love the Indian Tacos. I now go to Ron's on 50th and May. You can't beat their jalapeno fries.
    Yeah, I need to try Tims - I go by there often enough.
    And theres a place on the NW expressway near rockwell called Little Mikes - their usally pretty good, and they do an onion burger - and no soggy frys!

Thread Information