Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Default Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

The press conference made it clear to me that this NBA team will be called the Oklahoma Whatever. While the presser is still going on, I am guessing the question won't be asked and wouldn't be answered if it was. I am excited about the NBA, I voted YES on March 14th (with reservations), but the unbelievable application for Oklahoma Quality Jobs Program money makes it a clear (to me anyway) that this team will be the OKLAHOMA ______ and not the Oklahoma City ________ ala Salt Lake City/Utah.

The emphasis on the STATE economy and the STATE population and STATE companies and STATE money was another indication of what's to come name-wise. So ------- brace yourselves. I am guessing that's not going to go over real well here.

The application to seek OQJP money is shocking. That program was set-up to bring in jobs, and pay directly to companies, that bring good jobs to Oklahoma. There will be new jobs created, but the vast majority will be third-party jobs that have nothing to do with the actual Professional Basketball Club, LLC. Another giveway.

And again, I think the message today was clear --- it will not be the Oklahoma City anything. Take that to the bank.

Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Solitude - The owners said a long time ago the name would be Oklahoma City something. I don't see the big deal about using QQJB money. In fact, I love it that they are using an existing state program and not asking for something special. That program is available to any company moving to Oklahoma and we increase its visiablity to other companies. Plus, using an existing program would actually take pressure off having a Oklahoma something name.

We have been through this a thousand times - allowing a company to keep their own money is not a give-away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    Solitude - The owners said a long time ago the name would be Oklahoma City something. I don't see the big deal about using QQJB money. In fact, I love it that they are using an existing state program and not asking for something special. That program is available to any company moving to Oklahoma and we increase its visiablity to other companies. Plus, using an existing program would actually take pressure off having a Oklahoma something name.
    Did YOU watch/listen to the press conference?

Also, Kerry, just because they said at one time, way back that it would be OKC (did they?) doesn't mean they can't change their mind for economic purposes. The Tulsa mayor was there today too, btw.

Did YOU watch/listen to the press conference?
    Every word.

Every word.
    Why are you so certain? Who said it would definitely, without question, be "Oklahoma City?"

Everything I heard today makes me think it will not be.

Why are you so certain? Who said it would definitely, without question, be "Oklahoma City?"
    You mean other than the fact they already said it would be OKC something? WHen the Hornets played here the patch said OKC. The owners are from OKC and none are from outside the OKC metro area. They all have a vested interest in branding OKC to the benefit of their respective companies. The Ford Center and practice facility was voted on and paid for by OKC residents or people visiting OKC. The state program actually doesn't contribute any state money, they just defer receiving money they currently aren't receiving.

Shall I keep going?

Okay... for an out-of-stater that might have missed it, what was actually said? And was there a 'lock' on the fact that we are getting a team... and when?

Kerry, Temporarily hosting the Hornets and this group owning the team are two different things. The fact it said "OKC" on the Hornets patch means nothing at this point. I ask again - who is "they said?" Link?

The state program actually doesn't contribute any state money, they just defer receiving money they currently aren't receiving.
    And the difference is? One way or another it comes out of the pockets of state taxpayers. Also, you're only partially right on the way the program works.

I have to agree with you, solitude. I believe the owners needed a united front from the state, not just the city, to show that this is a bigger market than just Oklahoma City. And they're right. With fans across the state, and a few in Wichita and some surrounding states, this is a market of almost 4 million people, which makes it a very viable operation.

My attitude is: Whatever works. I'd like the entire state to support the team. I'd be thrilled if people from anywhere in Oklahoma felt ownership of the team. If that means leaving the word "City" out of the name, then so be it.

As far as OQJP money is concerned, this one I'll have to think about. I am quite sure there will be very few people involved in market, management and team operations moving from Seattle to OKC, so those will be new jobs. I have no earthly idea how many jobs that involves, or what kind of payroll. Hopefully there will be some explanation forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman2C View Post
    Okay... for an out-of-stater that might have missed it, what was actually said? And was there a 'lock' on the fact that we are getting a team... and when?
    I was driving, so I couldn't write down any quotes. But, what I heard was that the three members of the relocation committee that were here are going to recommend to the full relocation committee that they recommend moving the Sonics to OKC to the full BOG.

As far as a time frame, both Clay Bennett and David Stern said that if they can't come up with a financial solution for the lease, that they will abide by the judges decision regarding the lease.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I was driving, so I couldn't write down any quotes. But, what I heard was that the three members of the relocation committee that were here are going to recommend to the full relocation committee that they recommend moving the Sonics to OKC to the full BOG.

As far as a time frame, both Clay Bennett and David Stern said that if they can't come up with a financial solution for the lease, that they will abide by the judges decision regarding the lease.
    Thank you. I'm so glad to see that things might actually be moving now...

It should only be the Oklahoma City_________, not Oklahoma______ for the simple fact that when it comes down to the actual taxpayers funding the arena upgrades (which, as clearly stated by Mr. Stern were ABSOLUTELY necessary for us to get a team), we are all from OKC.....not even our suburbs are included in the tax......just METRO residents...no disrespect to anyone outside the metro, but don't get angry when some want the largest, and capital city in our great state to be represented with the air of civic independence it deserves.

And to the antagonists: I guess we should also rename everything else we're proud about here in OKC to Oklahoma_______ also, huh?

EDIT: maybe there are also some who aren't getting the concept yet, but there are already teams\organizations in place here designed to unite the entire state in support......OKLAHOMA Sooners\ Oklahoma STATE Cowboys, etc..

I find it extremely narrow-sighted for one to assume that as new and large of a deal as this is for everyone in our state, that ANYONE needs any other motivator for supporting the team.....

just silly

Quote Originally Posted by cedbled View Post
    And to the antagonists: I guess we should also rename everything else we're proud about here in OKC to Oklahoma_______ also, huh?
    I'm not an antagonist here, but I'll say this... there will be folks from Tulsa that will buy season tickets and travel down to OKC to watch their team. And there will be people from Enid, and people from Stillwater, and people from Ardmore, and people from Watonga, and people from Shawnee... (and you can fill in the rest of it, I'm sure).

They want to be a part of NBA in OKC. And they will likely bring their money and time and invest in the success. And if you are an investor, you know this, as well.

15. Default Re: Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

I'm a metro OKC guy, but I can swallow my pride a little bit and lose the "City" if that will tend to increase support from Tulsa. Really, that's the only group of people that would be irritable that it's the OKC ______ instead of the Oklahoma _____. I don't think people in Shawnee, Kingston, Duncan or Gotebo will be too irritated and refuse to support if it's OKC ___.

Sure the Mayor of Tulsa was there but so what? The Tulsa Mayor shows up so all of sudden the "City" portion gets dropped. That's rediculus. They cited motivating items such biotechnology, banking, oil, aviation etc. Where do yu think those industries are located? They are all in OKC.

Tulsa does have American Airlines but OKC has Tinker AFB, Boeing, Northrop Grummond, plus the only space exploration company in the state. Yes Tulsa has BOK but OKC has MidFirst Bank which is the 3rd largest private bank in the US and the CEO owns the team. BOK also a large workforce in OKC.

Trust me - the name will be OKC.

Rifleman - let me ask you this. Can you imagine anyone in Ardmore saying, "Screw the OKC whatevers, they put City in the name so I am not going." That would never happen. However, leave City off and you will have a bunch of pissed off PRIMARY SUPPORTERS on your hands.

I'm not an antagonist here, but I'll say this... there will be folks from Tulsa that will buy season tickets and travel down to OKC to watch their team. And there will be people from Enid, and people from Stillwater, and people from Ardmore, and people from Watonga, and people from Shawnee... (and you can fill in the rest of it, I'm sure).

They want to be a part of NBA in OKC. And they will likely bring their money and time and invest in the success. And if you are an investor, you know this, as well.
    Rifleman, that makes total sense to me, and you know what? I believe that will actually enhance the OKC patron's experience to sit next to someone that had to travel further, spend more money, etc. to support OUR team (looking forward to it), but I guess I just don't understand the lack of enthusiasm that one from another city would feel if the team's name were OKC whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    The press conference made it clear to me that this NBA team will be called the Oklahoma Whatever. While the presser is still going on, I am guessing the question won't be asked and wouldn't be answered if it was. I am excited about the NBA, I voted YES on March 14th (with reservations), but the unbelievable application for Oklahoma Quality Jobs Program money makes it a clear (to me anyway) that this team will be the OKLAHOMA ______ and not the Oklahoma City ________ ala Salt Lake City/Utah.

The emphasis on the STATE economy and the STATE population and STATE companies and STATE money was another indication of what's to come name-wise. So ------- brace yourselves. I am guessing that's not going to go over real well here.

The application to seek OQJP money is shocking. That program was set-up to bring in jobs, and pay directly to companies, that bring good jobs to Oklahoma. There will be new jobs created, but the vast majority will be third-party jobs that have nothing to do with the actual Professional Basketball Club, LLC. Another giveway.

And again, I think the message today was clear --- it will not be the Oklahoma City anything. Take that to the bank.
    I'm not a fan, nor am I exited over the NBA. Nevertheless, for those of you who are, who worked so hard to make this happen, I respect you for that. I truely, and in all sincerity, do believe for those of you who showed the needed support to make this happen, you have earned, and deserve a little honor for your loyalty. This team should be an OKC team. It's just my honest opinion.

The difference between OU\OSU teams and an NBA team, is that they represent 2 different ideals for why they play the game. For college, it's all about REPRESENTING THE STATE, and everyone in it....The NBA is a business, and it's job is not always to do that. I think we all agree that when we travel abroad, we're proud to wear the Sooners\Cowboys jerseys and caps....But, until the near future, that is all that was available. Major league sports, however is usually associated with one particular city or region they represent, NOT the entire state that city or region is in.

I'm from Tulsa and I already know once OKC gets the team. I will be watching every game possible and go to as many as I can. I could care less whether its OKC ____ or Oklahoma ____.

I will say this also:

Smaller cities\towns in OK have a legit argument for "City" not being included in the team name, BUT surely a city as large and "major league" as Tulsa should be put to a vote to chip in on the taxes for all of the expenses, but that didn't happen, did it?

No, it didn't, but it's funny they show up today trying to lobby themselves for their unwarranted inclusion in the merits OKC is about to recieve for it's efforts.

The leadership of Tulsa didn't say a damn word about making this a joint effort, (probably because they didn't believe that we'd actually be this close to getting a team), but NOW that we are, NOW Tulsa has a say in this?

please....

Sure the Mayor of Tulsa was there but so what? The Tulsa Mayor shows up so all of sudden the "City" portion gets dropped. That's rediculus. They cited motivating items such biotechnology, banking, oil, aviation etc. Where do yu think those industries are located? They are all in OKC.

Tulsa does have American Airlines but OKC has Tinker AFB, Boeing, Northrop Grummond, plus the only space exploration company in the state. Yes Tulsa has BOK but OKC has MidFirst Bank which is the 3rd largest private bank in the US and the CEO owns the team. BOK also a large workforce in OKC.

Trust me - the name will be OKC.
    Kerry, again, when did "they" say, with certainty or otherwise, it would be "Oklahoma City?" Simple question. I may be wrong - so I'd really like to know. You seem very certain about this.

Quote Originally Posted by roboticbrad View Post
    I'm from Tulsa and I already know once OKC gets the team. I will be watching every game possible and go to as many as I can. I could care less whether its OKC ____ or Oklahoma ____.
    Thanks, Brad. That was exactly the knid of response I expected from our brothers up the Turnpike... NBA will gather lots of support from so many cities once it is actually in OKC for good. With 3.7 million folks in the State, how can it not enjoy the support of our populace?

Solitude - I will see if I can find the quote for you.

Thread Information