Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Default Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Relocate America released it top 100 cities to live in 2010, Tulsa came in 6th, and Norman was also listed in top 100, OKC not listed, what is wrong with this picture?

2010 Top 100 Places to live from Relocate America

2. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Well we can't have this. Proceed to trash Tulsa...

3. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Man, it's about time we had a thread arguing about which city is better.

Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

I thought Tulsa was drying up since Dfest was cancelled?? hmm.....

5. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Gosh, well obviously it's OKC, by like, a landslide..because, you know, Tulsa may be near hitting rock bottom. Metro said so.

I just don't understand how we were in the top ten in 2009, and not listed at all in 2010? Norman is not a surprise to be listed....

7. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Tulsa > Norman > OKC.

Apparently that's the message they're trying to send.

I don't think that it is a reason to be alarmed, in that there are a ton of these types of top city lists and the key is finding out how they determine or rate the "best" of. Regardless it is great to have Tulsa and Norman on this list! We need to have more of a push the state forward mentality and I think we will find that it will do wonders for how all fair down the line. I am a staunch proponent of Oklahoma City and all that is transpiring there but also want nothing more than Tulsa to thrive as well. The two cities are completely different and that should be celebrated! It gives Oklahoma two unique and vibrant metropolitan areas to showcase on the national stage. Good for the overall economy of Oklahoma. Tulsa has taken some hits but there is a lot of great things that are going on there as well! They are by no means in a death spiral nor should any of us ever want for that to be the case. That would only further damage the economy and could even have a negative impact on OKC. Well done Tulsa!

9. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC@heart View Post
    I don't think that it is a reason to be alarmed, in that there are a ton of these types of top city lists and the key is finding out how they determine or rate the "best" of. Regardless it is great to have Tulsa and Norman on this list! We need to have more of a push the state forward mentality and I think we will find that it will do wonders for how all fair down the line. I am a staunch proponent of Oklahoma City and all that is transpiring there but also want nothing more than Tulsa to thrive as well. The two cities are completely different and that should be celebrated! It gives Oklahoma two unique and vibrant metropolitan areas to showcase on the national stage. Good for the overall economy of Oklahoma. Tulsa has taken some hits but there is a lot of great things that are going on there as well! They are by no means in a death spiral nor should any of us ever want for that to be the case. That would only further damage the economy and could even have a negative impact on OKC. Well done Tulsa!
    This is a great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Gosh, well obviously it's OKC, by like, a landslide..because, you know, Tulsa may be near hitting rock bottom. Metro said so.
    Your taking my quotes out of context as usual, and several others DID agree with me including Steve. Again, it's not that losing Dfest or just this and that small thing right now is the big death, it's the gradual dying of the City overall for the last 10 years or so. Just because poll X says something, Poll Y comes out tomorrow and will say the opposite. OKC's not on this one, but how many have we been on lately near the top? It goes to show the value of surveys/polls that aren't done scientifically.

We didn't make the list because of our ROADS and Potholes...

These lists are fairly meaningless. Their methodology is inconsistent as all hell, and when compared with other so-called rankings which attempt to rank similar traits, the factors which are chosen might as well have been picked out of a hat.

These sorts of lists are great for generating views on a site's page. That's about it. Don't take them seriously -- at least not unless we do well, then the list may be relevant and worthy of our attention.

13. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Guys, here's the dirty little secret in the publishing world, especially magazines - the more obscure the magazine title, the more likely it is the ranking involved an advertising or sponsorship deal behind the scenes with those enjoying the higher rankings. The rankings to worry about, really, are titles like Forbes. The website for Relocate America claims it has helped "millions of Americans successfully relocate." I'd bet there are far more people who have benefited from OKC Talk in getting information relocating to OKC than this obscure site. (Any veteran member of www.okctalk.com knows it has been a valuable resource for newcomers).

Blog Entries

OMG, it looks like Jenks became unlivable too. LOLROF. Guess the Jenks people need to pack up and move a few miles as they suburb deteriorated this year.

15. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Quote Originally Posted by demoman2k10 View Post
    We didn't make the list because of our ROADS and Potholes...
    Tulsa has a greater percentage of bad roads and potholes. That was a bad assumption.

..open mouth, insert foot..
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

So OKC isn't on the list but Tulsa and Norman are. Maybe they just didn't include large cities in their survey.

It looks like cities sent letters in explaining why they are the best. I bet OKC didn't even send in a letter. There are more small, suburb type cities in here more than metro's.

This isn't really a poll me thinks, just the top 100 cities that did send something in.

Blog Entries

Tulsa is very deserving of their ranking!

Whatever. I'd rather live in Oklahoma City than Tulsa, and there are probably people who would rather live in Tulsa than Oklahoma City. There are so many factors that go into why one prefers one city over another. We thought we were going to move to Seattle once upon a time until we spent two weeks up there in the rain. That was all it took to change our minds.

Well we can't have this. Proceed to trash Tulsa....
    You make no sense to me. You say you went to OU, and then we see you bashing it. Same thing with OKC. You live here and yet always seem to rip it for one thing or another. If you need attention that bad spartan I would suggest you go somewhere else other than a message board.

21. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    You make no sense to me. You say you went to OU, and then we see you bashing it. Same thing with OKC. You live here and yet always seem to rip it for one thing or another. If you need attention that bad spartan I would suggest you go somewhere else other than a message board.
    LOL. Did they not teach critical thinking at OCCC or Rose State?

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. -Thomas Jefferson

Boomer.

I wouldn't put too much stock into these types of lists. There was a recent list that came out, Kiplinger's I believe, that named Austin as the Best City for the Next Decade for new business/jobs. That makes sense but it also listed Topeka in the Top 10. Norman is basically OKC anyway (same metro).

23. Default Re: Tulsa is 6th in Top 100 Best Places to Live, OKC not listed?

Did they name Topeka, or Google? That might have had a significant impact on the criteria.

LOL. Did they not teach critical thinking at OCCC or Rose State?

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. -Thomas Jefferson

Boomer.
    I go to OU.

Did they name Topeka, or Google? That might have had a significant impact on the criteria.
    Haha they cited that whole Topeka-Google stunt as a sign of the city's innovative and progressive nature. Nevermind Topeka doesn't have anything in common with Austin, Boulder, Seattle, Washington DC, and others on the Top 10 list. I could see Lawrence or even Kansas City but Topeka?

Des Moines was also on the list and is quickly becoming a mini-Minneapolis, a city on the northern Plains surrounded by farmland with no mountains or ocean that has been successful building a high quality of life, attracting new businesses, and retaining its young people. OKC should look to both of those cities, along with Omaha and Kansas City, as models. They always seem to make these kinds of lists..

Thread Information