Widgets Magazine

Thread: Know of Any Place That Serves Rattlesnake?

Default Know of Any Place That Serves Rattlesnake?

Does anyone know of a place that serves rattlesnake in the metro? I've always wanted to try it, but have never had the chance.

Default Re: Know of Any Place That Serves Rattlesnake?

Plu Pan,
    I don't know any place that serves it but I know I have seen it in the freezer case at the Meat House in Edmond. It's not there often so if you are interested, call them and see if they can get it. Of course you will have to locate a recipe. The only time I ate it, it was deep fried at Okeene during their rattlesnake roundup.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Plu Pan,
    I don't know any place that serves it but I know I have seen it in the freezer case at the Meat House in Edmond. It's not there often so if you are interested, call them and see if they can get it. Of course you will have to locate a recipe. The only time I ate it, it was deep fried at Okeene during their rattlesnake roundup.
    C. T.
    Did you like it?

Rattlesnake can be really good. I didn't find the recipe online, but a great restaurant in Austin called Hudson's On The Bend serves a rattlesnake cake with a pistachio crust that is outstanding. Their cookbook (which has the recipe) is called "Cooking Fearlessly". If you find the meat at the Meat House or online, it's definitely worth making. Directly to the question, I have never seen rattlesnake meat in the OKC metro area.

Plu Pan,
    Yes, but it's been a long time and I'm sure my tastes have changed. I seem to remember it had a fairly unique taste, but since it was deep fried, it's hard to tell. Heck, I didn't start enjoying fish till the mid 90's, but in the 70's I went to the sand bass festival several times and loved their deep fried sand bass. Amazing what a little grease will do. And of course the batter makes a difference.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Did you like it?

It taste like chicken................

Just kidding, never had it.

I'm probably wrong about this . . . yet I imagine that rattlesnake tastes (and textures) a lot like frog legs.
    (somehow all of this reminded me of the question: I wonder what Praying Mantis tastes like to a Hairworm? =)
    (sorry, amigo, but you started it . . . =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I'm probably wrong about this . . . yet I imagine that rattlesnake tastes (and textures) a lot like frog legs.
    (somehow all of this reminded me of the question: I wonder what Praying Mantis tastes like to a Hairworm? =)
    (sorry, amigo, but you started it . . . =)
    hey man... There are people in Japan that eat tapeworms to lose weight- what goes in. . . Must come out

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Plu Pan,
    Yes, but it's been a long time and I'm sure my tastes have changed. I seem to remember it had a fairly unique taste, but since it was deep fried, it's hard to tell. Heck, I didn't start enjoying fish till the mid 90's, but in the 70's I went to the sand bass festival several times and loved their deep fried sand bass. Amazing what a little grease will do. And of course the batter makes a difference.
    C. T.
    thats pretty cool. I loooooooove seafood and do enjoy Cajun. This Moderately Radical guy () I once knew said they taste like frog legs. I ate a pair of those when I was in Corpus Christi and they literary had no taste; maybe it was the way they were cooked.

I will definitely go check the Meat House though. I'll buy it and then show up to my grandmothers house

(Grandmas always make the best food)

Rattlesnake is great on the grill! My dad used to fix it when we lived in west Texas. Not sure what he used but guessing not much more than a bit of tenderizer, salt and pepper. He was a minimalist when it came to meat.
    And, from what I recall, it was delicious!

Wife went to The Meat House today, saw steak tips, asked me about them, I hadn't heard of them, so started poking around, found an article on their blog about them (themeathouseblog.com is active, but themeathouse.com is dead, at least for 210 more days, stupid...), and was wondering if The Meat House had more locations, so googled a bit more and found this: The Meat House opens in Edmond | News OK

Relevant quote:

The store also offers high-end brands and exotic meats including $18-per-pound bacon from Nueske's, pheasant, rattlesnake and duck. If it can be legally butchered, the Meat House has it plus all the things you need to make a complete meal.

Thread Information