Widgets Magazine

Thread: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

1. Default Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

KWTV was all over CNN and Fox News. CNN used NEWS9 coverage most of the afternoon. Reporter Rosa Flores and Pilot Mason Dunn was interviewed extensively on CNN. Here is a sample of what viewers nationwide saw:

YouTube - Dramatic Footage of a Rescue in Flooded Oklahoma!

It really made Oklahoma's media look good imo.

Thoughts?

2. Cool Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

I am just overwhelmed with all of the trauma suffered. We got it pretty hard in Chickasha, and the city removed a few barriers this afternoon after the water subsided enough. I didn't get out to look around it was so depressing.

We lost a cat (GrayBoy) who got trapped and couldn't get out from under the porch. We had him put to sleep this morning. He just didn't make it. The dogs and I never left the house but they were scared. We kept hearing loud things being tossed all around all night and got very little rest.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of those that suffered losses and damages.

It seems like something is happening every day around the nation. I don't know people can cope. I guess those of us, here in Oklahoma, have had to overcome a lot of tragedies.

My son, Jay, who drives a Semi, was down in Houston when it began and felt pretty fortunate that he got out.

I hope that those in Minco, Union City, El Reno and Tuttle are OK.

My brother who lives 13 miles E of Chickasha said water came up to the bottom of his door.

My heart aches for all of those N of us that have suffered so very much.

Blessings to the NEWS crews that have performed amazing jobs, as well as all of the support by the officers and fire departments.

3. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

Front page CNN online .. my God, did it have to be so dramatic? Plucked out of the red water and hanging on for dear life while the copter raced along at warp speed.. what was it? The Indy 500 .. sheesh. I only wish that the people didn't fall from the helicopter while being rescued....thankfully, they were okay but, still..... I don't think I've ever seen a water rescue such as this.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

4. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

I am just overwhelmed with all of the trauma suffered
    OkieKas, We were writing at the same time.. didn't want you to think I was making light of the tragedy.. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

This whole thing is depressing. How sad for everyone involved.

5. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a water rescue such as this.

I was actually wondering if that was what I really saw!

I was overwhelmed by the needs of Oklahoma during this heartbreaking period, alarmed that this was actually Oklahoma, and knew that is not going to be easy to clean up, and I took great pride in the people that were able to help out there in the rain and the mud.

I sat in stunned silence. Several times I had to cover my mouth to keep from moaning out loud while I listened and watched the TV footage.

My heart was in my throat and several times I had to close my eyes at the sheer tragedy of all of the damage.

I was overcome with tears and filled with pride when I saw the elderly couple being rescued by the police chopper, then it turned to complete horror!

I was appalled by the helicopter rescue. My son was in here with me and I was like OH MY GOD, why are they gripping her arms like that and dragging them across the water! I was afraid they were going to rip off those two people's legs! They should have had some ropes or flotation devices. The water didn't appear deep when the people kept falling back into it.

I was thinking that any moment they were going to rip a severe gash in their bodies from debris in the water.

I am saddened......and in tears for our beloved Oklahoma.

6. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    KWTV was all over CNN and Fox News. CNN used NEWS9 coverage most of the afternoon. Reporter Rosa Flores and Pilot Mason Dunn was interviewed extensively on CNN. Here is a sample of what viewers nationwide saw:

Thoughts?
    Yeah I thought so too. Rosa did a great job answering question after question. No wonder she's been plucked up by a Houston station.

7. Cool Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

That video on YouTube is so devastating! Here is a reply that has been posted to it there.

SueUTube (2 hours ago)
    Everyone applauds these guys, but this was done in such a irresponible manner. Secure the victims. Having seventy year olds dangling from the skids and falling might not be the best procedure. Not to mention the 5,000 pound cuisinart a foot above the water. Anybody own a boat in OK?

Another one, these people will be on all of the talk shows:

YouTube - Woman falls from helicopter during flood rescue

8. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

Another You Tube Vid of OKC

YouTube - Oklahoma Flooding

9. Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

I guess they didn't have time to get secure equipment. I am just in awe over these videos. Heroes being made right on the spot.

I applaud the quick actions of the pilot Lt Brian Sturgell and Trooper Joe Howard of the OK Hwy Patrol!

Amazing, simply amazing.

God Bless everyone. God Bless OKLAHOMA!

Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

I live in Kingfisher and thank God I was not in the flood zone. I did manage to drive around and there was a lot of devastation as I am sure there was in other places.

I have to say the news coverage was great, I was very impressed by the high level of professionalism, especially during a live and unfolding event.

As to the 'drama" regarding the rescue, and the comments from the YouTube person about the way it was done, I can only say you would have had to be there.

First OHP is not in the water rescue business, however they did an incredible job. The pilot was absolutely spectacular, made me very proud to be an Oklahoman.

Second, those folks would have died if OHP did not rescue them. The water came fast and furious, there was absolutely no time to get a harness or any other device.

I would add the YouTube comments is typical of a litigious society. This couple was plucked from the brink of death and the only thing they can think about is how crappy the rescue was. I am sure if it were them in the water the comments would be different, or then again they just might decide to sue the people who saved them.

Unfortunate some can't see the good in this situation.

Cheers to OHP, the news coverage, and my prayers to those who were affected.

Regards

11. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

12. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Yeah I thought so too. Rosa did a great job answering question after question. No wonder she's been plucked up by a Houston station.

She is one great reporter! I am sorry to hear that she is leaving.
    I wish her very well in TX.

13. Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

They were showing the rescue over and over on FOX news last night. I kept laughing when the person fell off the skid. I know...I'm going to hell.

Default Re: Thoughts on the Flood Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post

Thoughts?
    Anybody read the quotes on this video? Some are pretty harsh. Apparently Oklahoma didn't make a great impression on everyone.

Thread Information