Widgets Magazine

Thread: Elephant Habitat at the OKC Zoo

Default Elephant Habitat at the OKC Zoo

Note: I was going to post this in the 'Oklahoma City Zoo' thread, except that there doesn't appear to be one (at least, I couldn't find it). So, I'll give it one here.

The new elephant habitat looks quite impressive. It opened in March 2011 and covers 9.5 acres.

It's comprised of:
    • Elephant Barn: 15,600 square feet, 8 separate stalls with different configuration opportunities plus a large community stall with sand surface. Radiant floor heating system, raised office with 360 degree view of interior, ambient lighting through windows and skylights and hydraulic-operated animal gates.

• Bull Yard: ½ acre with 8 foot deep, 30,000 gallon pool.

• Center Yard: ½ acre between bull and cow yards with the capability to open into the bull yard includes a 4,500 gallon, 2 foot deep pool.

• Herd Yard: 2.6 acres with a twelve foot deep, 214,000 gallon pool. Waterfall off of barn flows into stream leading into pool.

• Elephant Pavilion/Amphitheatre: seats 400+ people. Daily routines such as baths, foot care and training sessions will be seen from the pavilion, allowing for interaction with the elephant keepers.

source: New Elephant Habitat - Oklahoma City Zoo

I came across some wonderful pics for this...

source: Oklahoma city zoo visit « gorgeousingray

also...

source: https://foursquare.com/v/elephant-ha...f7721e205fcf25

and finally...

source: The Circus "NO SPIN ZONE": Oklahoma City Zoo's New Elephant Exhibit

Default Re: Elephant Habitat at the OKC Zoo

Btw, I wanted to use an 'Adventure District' icon for this post, but we don't seem to have one.

3. Default Re: Elephant Habitat at the OKC Zoo

I'm pretty sure I posted this somewhere on here before (another thread), but here it is again (from our visit).

Elephant habitats are controversial to say the least. Our zoo has one of the best open-habitat zoos in the country. Houston is another in the region that has a quality elephant program. The new gold standard for elephant habitats in America is being developed in Portland, OR.

Does anyone know if the Asia Exhibit is postponed? On their website it says "on the horizon". There is no date posted next to it like the other projects.

We visited the zoo recently, first time in 20+ years. The habitats are much improved for most animals. Elephant Pavilon was amazing.

I was not impressed. What i saw was a whole bunch of fancy crap for people but not much for the elephants. Zoos should take a minimalist approach to everthing outside of the actual exhibit. All that's needed is enough room to view the animals in something that should resemble a natural habitat, as opposed to seeing them in something that looks like a mix of a circus animal training exhibit, a putt putt course, and a military obstacle course.

Thread Information