Links:
    Official Website
    Facebook Page
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon
    Eat Around OKC

Information & Latest News

Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheevers1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	5911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheevers2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	5912  
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Default Re: Cheever's Cafe

love cheevers!!

Excellent Chocolate Chip bread pudding!

One of my 5 favorite restaurants in the city. 2 of the others are Iron Starr and Red Prime. The Paul's make good food.

I like Cheevers, but their food can be a bit heavy...

6. Default Re: Cheever's Cafe

Great atmosphere in the bar area!

One of my favorite spots as well.

Great food and great atmosphere... Plus, I love the reuse a interesting old building.

I love everything the Paul's have done to date and that they keep investing in urban neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    I was suprised that I couldn't find a "Cheever's" thread, so I'm starting one. I hope that it attracts the food reviews and stories it deserves.

A little background as I recall it . . . . Cheever's is housed in a building built and occupied for decades by a florist by the same name. I believe that you can even still buy flowers from the (now wine and beer) cooler that sits in the center of the building, separating the north and south dining areas.

The restaurant was started by Charlene Humpherys seven or eight years ago. I think Keith and Heather took over about four years back, but my time frames could be off by a lot . . . I'm old you know. Anyway, it was well received by the surrounding neighborhood residents, as it was the only thing locally owned for miles around and so it had a ready made audience . . . but even with that support, opening a new eating establishment is difficult at best. It's loyal patrons took the early day's hit and miss food quality and service in stride and kept coming back in support of their future favorite neighborhood eatery . . . and it has become just that . . . a neighborhood favorite, but now with city wide appeal.

As I said, the food and service was up and down during the first couple of years and the surrounding area left a lot to be desired . . . the dope dealers taking calls all hours of the day and night on the pay phones across the street were not the best advertising. The lunch trade was always suprisingly strong and attracted diners from all parts of the city, especially the State Capitol work force. Developing the evening trade took a lot longer, but Charlene was tough as hell and hung in, even reopening after a fire bomb, that came through the front window, while she was closing one evening, gutted the place. We closed off the street in front of the restaurant and threw a big party when Charlene reopened. A colorful early history to say the least.

Fast forward to today . . . Tuck can update the time frames . . . I eat there or get one of their teriffic salads to go, several times each month. I think the best thing about this restaurant is the constant improvement in the quality of the food and service . . . it just keeps getting better and better. I believe that a new chef has come on board recently and made a few changes to the menu . . . not sure on this point, other than to repeat that the food continues to improve . . . even their classic dishes seem to evolve. To me this is the mark of a good restaurant . . . . and Cheever's is a good restaurant . . . damn good.

I love their soups . . . always piping hot . . . I also like to build a plate that might include their shrimp rissoto or one from an evening special along with a selection of side vegetables . . . I'm never disappointed. The fish and meat dishes are always first rate too. A well designed menu, thoughtfully prepared food, artfully presented, professional service . . . what more can you expect in a restaurant . . . . reasonable prices? . . . absolutely.

The Paul's recent purchase and remodel of the old gas station on the corner makes a much needced improvement to the hood and provides the restaurant with more space and take out offerings for their neighbors, who continue to make Cheever's a regular stop.
    Once again, thanks for all of the kind words. We actually purchased the restaurant and property 8 years ago from Charlene, who had it 3 years. We changed the menu and re-concepted as fast as we could...no money to speak of. The first 3 years were a nightmare, but made it because of the support of people from our nearby neighbors.

Our new chef is Cally Johnson, who left Boulevard Steakhouse after 5 years...she is amazing. Look for her personal stamp on the menu early fall.

Market-C, old gas station, should open by October 1st.

Definitely one of my favorites!

In six years of marriage, one anniversary has been at Cheevers and another at Red Prime.

I love Cheever's! One of my favorite restaurants in Oklahoma City. Can't beat that fried spinach!!!

11. Default Re: Cheever's Cafe

Oh wow, this place is run by the same people that run Iron Starr? I gotta check it out!

Love it!...but Iron Starr is my favorite.

We frequent Iron Star.. frequently, and love it. Really nice take on a club. One birthday at Red Prime - $200 for a meal was really reaching for us, but very nice. Wonderful service. Keep meaning to get there for happy hour and an assortment of light servings. Somehow I just keep forgetting Cheevers is there. must remember. Looking forward to the store opening.

If you haven't gotten the chocolate cake at Cheever's, you're really missing out. Get the glass of milk, too!

Mr. Bravo and I are big Cheever's fans. Perhaps the best filet I've ever had was here - that jalapeno butter!

Someone mentioned the chocolate cake, but we're partial to the carrot cake. Definitely a generous slice of cake either enough to share or for a second go as a midnight snack.

For what it's worth I think Cheever's is easily GoodEgg's best offering and probably the best restaurant in town.

Quote Originally Posted by bravofriendly View Post
    Mr. Bravo and I are big Cheever's fans. Perhaps the best filet I've ever had was here - that jalapeno butter!

Someone mentioned the chocolate cake, but we're partial to the carrot cake. Definitely a generous slice of cake either enough to share or for a second go as a midnight snack.
    try a steak at RedPrime with the truffle butter then, then you'll be in heaven!!

18. Default Re: Cheever's Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by lpecan View Post
    For what it's worth I think Red Prime Steak is easily GoodEgg's best offering and probably the best restaurant in town.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    try a steak at RedPrime with the truffle butter then, then you'll be in heaven!!
    I finally tried the truffle butter and it did nothing for me. I don't get the fascination. Maybe it was the pepper crust that ruined my steak (I'll never do a crust again).

I always thought that Cheever's food was a bit too heavy...but I do like Iron Starr a lot.

I didn't see a Iron Starr thread, so I figured I would post this here. Iron Starr really needs to think about their reservation policy. I went with my wife last night and we were told that we were first on the waiting list and it would be about 10 minutes. There were 5 tables in the front room and many others in the back room that sat empty because they were reserved. After 25 minutes of waiting we finally got our table and by the time we were done, there were still 3 tables in the front room waiting on the reserved party. While we were waiting, many people came in and then quickly left once they found out how long the wait was. I can't understand why they were holding a table an hour in advance for reservation. They lost a lot of business last night because of it and there were a lot of people griping about it that were having to wait.

Anyone know if Cheever's is doing a special menu for Valentine's Day? We went there for New Year's Eve and the prix fixe menu was amazing.

We are running the regular menu along with some amazing specials. The specials with actually be available Thursday, 12th - Saturday, 14th.

Can anyone tell me about the pricing at Cheever's?

Quote Originally Posted by andimthomas View Post
    Can anyone tell me about the pricing at Cheever's?
    Cheever's Cafe - Contemporary Comfort Food | Cheever's Cafe - Contemporary Comfort Food | Oklahoma City

value, value, value

Thread Information