Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun shots on NYE

Default Gun shots on NYE

Did anyone else hear people firing guns into the air last night at midnight?

This is something that happened in Los Angeles every New Years Eve and every year there would be warnings not to do it. Bullets that go up must come down and inevitably people were hurt.

I stayed home last night and heard the clear sounds of gunshots ringing out more than once.

Just wonder if others heard the same in other areas, as I hope this isn't something we are going to have more of in OKC.

Default Re: Gun shots on NYE

I heard a bunch of fireworks around Danforth and Bryant in it and Edmond. At one point it kind of sounded like gunshots but I’m not sure.

I think I only hear fireworks on the westside (surprisingly)

I could hear fireworks too but I could also clearly hear gunshots several times.

Very disturbing.

If some freedumb lovers are discharging firearms hopefully it is shotguns and not rifles or pistols.

6. Default Re: Gun shots on NYE

When I was in my 20s (1980s) I knew a lot of people that shot guns in the air on NYE. I didn't think anyone did anymore but in this world who knows.

Blog Entries

At Regency I really thought I heard at least 3 very close by but wasn't about to go out and check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    If some freedumb lovers are discharging firearms hopefully it is shotguns and not rifles or pistols.
    It wasn't shotguns that I heard. Sounded like some sort of automatic weapon.

It's the first time I've felt unsafe in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It wasn't shotguns that I heard. Sounded like some sort of automatic weapon.

It's the first time I've felt unsafe in OKC.
    I (think) I'm just a bit south of you and while we heard and saw a bunch of fireworks I didn't hear any automated weapons. That would have definitely been quite alarming though. I thought the rain would've kept the fireworks to a minimum but apparently not, ha.

Wouldn't surprise me given the area I'm in, having people try and blend that in.

Did anyone else hear people firing guns into the air last night at midnight?

This is something that happened in Los Angeles every New Years Eve and every year there would be warnings not to do it. Bullets that go up must come down and inevitably people were hurt.

I stayed home last night and heard the clear sounds of gunshots ringing out more than once.

Just wonder if others heard the same in other areas, as I hope this isn't something we are going to have more of in OKC.
    Yes. Literally every year.

However, this wasn't nearly as bad as previous years. I also heard the distinctly different sound of fireworks. Drives me crazy. I never go out on NYE and probably never will again.

There was one year in which I heard automatic (or semiautomatic; sorry, not a gun guy) gun shots. My daughter had a friend spending the night with us and it made me feel very awkward as a host, like, "Hey, welcome to the DMZ." It is a very unsettling noise and it also really freaks the pets out. The girls were rather unfazed, however.

Did anyone else hear people firing guns into the air last night at midnight? ...

I live by the elementary school in Pete's neighborhood. I heard two rounds of gunshots. Both were mag dumps. The first one sounded close to 7-10 rounds and the second one was close to 12 -15 rounds. I never go out on NYE and this is commonplace near the schoolyard. I thought that the weather along with the scarcity/price of ammo would prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I live by the elementary school in Pete's neighborhood. I heard two rounds of gunshots. Both were mag dumps. The first one sounded close to 7-10 rounds and the second one was close to 12 -15 rounds. I never go out on NYE and this is commonplace near the schoolyard. I thought that the weather along with the scarcity/price of ammo would prevent this.
    Hey neighbor!

I live a bit farther south and I think the gunshots were coming from one of the apartment complexes near I-44.

It's a very disconcerting feeling to be sitting inside your house and hearing automatic weapons being fired nearby. I actually made sure to move away from any windows. I never had any problems like this in California.

It's weird to think about such things being so close to a home you love. I recently found out that an AirBnB that I frequently walk past was a trap house for drug sales and consumption until very recently. It was owned by the former Urban Farmhouse guy (who is in all kinds of trouble now with Relax Park) and they let their college-aged son use it a lot. I never knew any of this until after I posted that Relax Park article and people came out of the woodwork with stories; they had no idea I lived very nearby.

That house recently sold and someone shared with me some videos of what went on there and another house they own in Edmond. I'm just so naive about these things... I'd walk by that house in my neighborhood and see this new Porsche Cayenne and lots of young people and I never put 2 and 2 together. I was told there was a shooting there as well.

Fortunately, the new owners seem to be responsible.

14. Default Re: Gun shots on NYE

I definitely heard at least some semi-automatic gunfire somewhere north of 23rd and Classen, probably 2-3 emptied clips, mixed in with many dozens of home-launched fireworks in neighborhoods.

15. Default Re: Gun shots on NYE

In my defense. As I said before many people I knew in the 80s shot guns at midnight on NYE. It was ALWAYS shotguns with bird shot. Hot gonna hurt anything coming back down.

We live over just west of 36th & Portland so not too terribly far from Pete & Brett. I like Brett heard the clip dumps and then just pistols randomly going off. In my like 8 years of living in our house it was the most gunshots I've heard on NYE.

^

I fear this is an escalating and troubling trend.

I highly doubt you heard an automatic weapon. Some idiot rapidly discharging a semi-auto sure. I’m sure this is a hot take but none of the areas described are areas that I would consider good or safe areas, and if someone told me they heard gunshots I can’t say that I’m surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I highly doubt you heard an automatic weapon. Some idiot rapidly discharging a semi-auto sure. I’m sure this is a hot take but none of the areas described are areas that I would consider good or safe areas, and if someone told me they heard gunshots I can’t say that I’m surprised.
    That's a lot of negativity and judgment in three sentences.

The neighborhood around NWE and Penn? Those are some of the best neighborhoods in the metro.

There is no place in this country that you are safe from gun fire

"It's a very disconcerting feeling to be sitting inside your house and hearing automatic weapons being fired nearby. I actually made sure to move away from any windows. I never had any problems like this in California."

I'm guessing you never spent NYE in Fresno then.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The neighborhood around NWE and Penn? Those are some of the best neighborhoods in the metro.
    If that is the are being referenced, then no, that's not that area I'm talking about.

I don't know everybody's history and where they live, but the area I'm referring to was the one mentioned slightly above my original comment which were Portland from NW23rd to NW36th and the neighborhoods in that area.
    Last edited by Zuplar; 01-04-2022 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Mistyped, meant NW

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    There is no place in this country that you are safe from gun fire
    Okay, never said anything to the contrary. Maybe you quoted wrong person?

If that is the are being referenced, then no, that's not that area I'm talking about.

I don't know everybody's history and where they live, but the area I'm referring to was the one mentioned slightly above my original comment which were Portland from SW 23rd to SW36th and the neighborhoods in that area.
    Pete lives just south of Mayfair (NW 43rd-ish/Penn-ish/May-ish).

Thread Information