Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ritz Theater - Britton

Cool Britton Theater?Ritz Theater in Britton...same or not?

I've been researching old movie theaters in the OKC area and have found an old listing for a Britton Theater at 222 and 1001 Britton Rd, also an old photo made from a negative. I moved to the area in 1956 and the only theater was the Ritz which has some changing addresses, too, but is at 912 W Britton now. The question is, were there 2 theaters or did the Britton Theater just change its name to the Ritz. And there was a Ritz in OKC on NE 13 by the med school, which might add to the confusion, but don't let it. I'd just like to find someone who lived there in the 40's and clear up the issue. Here's the bad pic of the Britton Theater.

Default Re: Britton Theater?Ritz Theater in Britton...same or not?

Here's the Ritz in 1949

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    Here's the Ritz in 1949
    ================================================== =========
    Notice the TG&Y store next to it. That was a "Good" Variety store in it's day. I helped remodel that store once. Helped tear it out as TG&Y and then remodel it as Kelly's Variety (Dan & Jim Kelly) and then helped tear it out as a Kelly's variety. Spent too much time there....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ================================================== =========
    Notice the TG&Y store next to it. That was a "Good" Variety store in it's day. I helped remodel that store once. Helped tear it out as TG&Y and then remodel it as Kelly's Variety (Dan & Jim Kelly) and then helped tear it out as a Kelly's variety. Spent too much time there....
    (LOL)

I thought at one time there was a theatre on the north side of the street kinda close to the Ritz.

In 1948, the Ritz Theatre was where it is now (next to TG&Y at one time) and the Britton Theatre was across the street (Britton Road) and about a half block West.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    In 1948, the Ritz Theatre was where it is now (next to TG&Y at one time) and the Britton Theatre was across the street (Britton Road) and about a half block West.
    Thanks, that makes me feel better about my long term memory.

8. Default Re: Britton Theater?Ritz Theater in Britton...same or not?

I fondly remember the Lakeside Theater at 74th and N May. Dr Newcomb owned it and he had his dental office behind the theater. It was within walking distance of my house and we went there every week to see whatever movie was there. I think I saw Spartacus 10 times or more, the Moonspinners was a fav. They had the best popcorn and those Slo Poke suckers were sooooo good.

9. Default Re: Britton Theater?Ritz Theater in Britton...same or not?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I fondly remember the Lakeside Theater at 74th and N May. Dr Newcomb owned it and he had his dental office behind the theater. It was within walking distance of my house and we went there every week to see whatever movie was there. I think I saw Spartacus 10 times or more, the Moonspinners was a fav. They had the best popcorn and those Slo Poke suckers were sooooo good.
    I saw many a Disney movie at the Lakeside. What year were you at NWC? I can't read the date on the avatar.

THANKS, they don't look quite the same, the Britton doesn't seem to have room for the little offices on either side of the entrance that the were part of the Ritz. The Ritz has 4 windows, the Britton only seems to have two. The 1001 Britton Rd address for the Britton Theater would have been on the north side of the street, but by 1952 that was the address for Long-Bell hardware. Leighton Animal Hospital has been there forever at 1015 W Britton, there's a parking lot now at 1001, the Ritz is on the south side at 912 W Britton. Looks like the Britton Theater was out of business by 1952.

11. Default Re: Britton Theater?Ritz Theater in Britton...same or not?

I graduated in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I saw many a Disney movie at the Lakeside. What year were you at NWC? I can't read the date on the avatar.
    The Saturday kiddie show at the Lakeside was a big part of my life, too. I remember waiting in a long line to see "The Third Man on the Mountain" there, but I also saw "Francis the Talking Mule" and the "Three Stooges" and lots of cartoons. They had drawings for prizes using the ticket stubs on those Saturdays. I also recall the ice cream bar "machine" across the lobby from the concessions stand. The Lakeside was beautiful. The Ritz was cheap but very dark and a bit scary.

I wish the Lakeside would have been restored.

Concerning changing addresses, remember that Britton was an incorporated town and had its own address scheme before it was taken into the Oklahoma City limits. That happened sometime around the end of the '40s or the start of the '50s. Probably easy for you to find.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGrad68 View Post
    The Saturday kiddie show at the Lakeside was a big part of my life, too. I remember waiting in a long line to see "The Third Man on the Mountain" there, but I also saw "Francis the Talking Mule" and the "Three Stooges" and lots of cartoons. They had drawings for prizes using the ticket stubs on those Saturdays. I also recall the ice cream bar "machine" across the lobby from the concessions stand. The Lakeside was beautiful. The Ritz was cheap but very dark and a bit scary.
    I remember the folks taking me and my siblings to see the Disney movies at the Lakeside. Also remember seeing The Longest Day there. Have not been able to get that music out of my head...

16. Default Re: Britton Theater?Ritz Theater in Britton...same or not?

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    I remember the folks taking me and my siblings to see the Disney movies at the Lakeside. Also remember seeing The Longest Day there. Have not been able to get that music out of my head...
    Thinking about all this...this was back in the day when the studios had exclusive agreements for first-run movies with individual theaters. Oh, if Ferris Shambour were still alive. What stories he could tell us. Speaking of, is his brother still living? Anyone know? At one time, Ferris owned darned near every theater in the city. No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    Concerning changing addresses, remember that Britton was an incorporated town and had its own address scheme before it was taken into the Oklahoma City limits. That happened sometime around the end of the '40s or the start of the '50s....
    Both—1950, according to my research.

There's got to be some photos of the Lakeside somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    There's got to be some photos of the Lakeside somewhere.
    Yeah, and I sure would like to see em.

Hey, there's a UFO on the street in those pictures of the Britton.

Here is Lakeside today, camera date wrong, it's 2010. Can't find any old pics but found there was a Lakeside Elementary in Jan 1953 at Lakeview Dr and Somerset Pl, 3 temp bldgs

There also used to be a "Ritz" Theater in OKC. It was on NE 13th St, just west of Lottie.

Default Ritz Theater Building on Britton

Just passed by the Ritz Theatre Building on Britton east of Western during lunch and noticed scaffolding out front. Does anyone know what's going on with that building? I find that whole area really interesting. Does anyone have any historical photos of the Ritz Theater building or the old britton area?

Default Re: Ritz Theater Building on Britton

The address is 912 W. Britton Road but I couldn't find any sort of building permit.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/17694

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=21670

Default Re: Ritz Theater Building on Britton

Pete, it may be Village city limits, not sure if that makes a difference in your search.

Thread Information