Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunkin Dounts 39th

Default Dunkin Dounts 39th

What's going in here? Remodel?

You can move this thread to wherever if needed.

Default Re: Dunkin Dounts 39th

That location is no longer showing up on their website.

Might be closed.

But found this from March in the Board of Adjustment regarding new sign, so it does look like a remodel:

Request of Babak Enterprise LLC, dba Dunkin Donuts,
    for a Variance to the landscaping requirements, to allow parking and
    maneuvering in the right-of-way and to allow a sign in the sight triangle in
    the I-1 Light Industrial District, located at 4400 NW 39th Street.

Drove by there one day last week. The DD marquee sign out front said they were remodeling.

Interesting, the building was just there 2 days ago, now it's torn down.

They have remodeled the few that are down here in Austin in recent years. I think it is a nationwide format change like DQ did a few years ago and McDonald's is still doing.

They may have taken it off their website until the new structure is back up and running.

The fact they had sought permits for new signage and parking just a few months ago indicates a remodel.

Drove by Tuesday and they already of the framing going up on the "remodel". It looked like it wasn't a complete teardown (the east edge wall and possibly the back wall were "complete" and looked like the original).

Good for this area, May is ruff around the edges, would love to see it cleaned up.

May?? Are they doing that one too? i thought we were talking about the one on 39th?

Drove by today. Indeed several of the walls are original unfortunately, I wish that wasn't the case, as it is that hideous tilt-up concrete with pebbles attached to the exterior.

metro: I agree that isn't particularly attractive. I was expecting to find an empty lot and was surprised to see what resembled a building already. i know the Amish and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition folks can do such things, but there are usually hundreds of people involved. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Drove by today. Indeed several of the walls are original unfortunately, I wish that wasn't the case, as it is that hideous tilt-up concrete with pebbles attached to the exterior.
    Drove by there today (Thursday). They've put plywood up over the exterior walls, so presumably they're going to apply a different exterior finish.

just FYI: drove by the one on May and it is still there and open for business (doesn't mean it might be remodeled too, just not at this moment).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    just FYI: drove by the one on May and it is still there and open for business (doesn't mean it might be remodeled too, just not at this moment).
    Pretty sure that one was remodeled not that long ago.

Really? That one always looked ancient as dirt to me. But I haven't really looked at it up close or anything, just general impression I got as I drove by. I REALLY like the exterior facelift the Wendy's got at the intersection nearby. Haven't been inside yet (looks even sharper at night).

Quote Originally Posted by circuitboard View Post
    What's going in here? Remodel?

You can move this thread to wherever if needed.
    One of OKC's newest police stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    One of OKC's newest police stations.
    We see what you did there...

LOL

LOL ^^^^ Now that's funny!

Really? That one always looked ancient as dirt to me. But I haven't really looked at it up close or anything, just general impression I got as I drove by. I REALLY like the exterior facelift the Wendy's got at the intersection nearby. Haven't been inside yet (looks even sharper at night).
    ?? That Wendy's still has the glass from the 70's with the gaudy red fabric draped over 3/4ths of the exterior windows.

I didn't really notice the awning over the glass structure that extended the dining room (the term escapes me right now), but the building roofline facade itself got a major facelift. Would you rather they removed the fabric awning and have the sun beating down inside the dining area? Or do you just want a new awning and in a different color?

Metro: I still like the Wendy's (ate lunch there today). like the contrast of the existing dark brick core building with the lighter stacked stone columns. The new roofline with the arched Logo Sign area on the Front and entrances. The new building fixtures where the red Arches are repeated. Even the Red Awning looks fairly new (not faded) and ties in well with the red Wendy's sign and other elements. the interior also looked different that the last time i was in (but not sure id it was done as the same time as the exterior). New carpeting, floor tile, artwork, modern looking dividers and even some combo booths (instead of just freestanding tables). A huge departure from the "old fashioned" decor that I grew up with and worked at during the 80s, for sure (although I liked that look too, I even have one of their table tops that used the repo classified Sears & Roebuck type...also used on the front counter). Nor is it ultra mod like some of the recent KFC interiors, but it looks nice. I give them a solid "A" (taking points off because the awning does cover the fast majority of the atrium's windows).

But sort of back to the thread subject...you got me curious and i went by the DD on May, you are correct, it was remodeled not that long ago (relatively speaking). I just never paid it much attention, usually driving by it after dark and it basically deserted of customers (but it is a donut shop and 10 pm probably isn't there "rush" time either) only knew that it had been in that location for a long time.

But sort of back to the thread subject...you got me curious and i went by the DD on May, you are correct, it was remodeled not that long ago (relatively speaking). I just never paid it much attention, usually driving by it after dark and it basically deserted of customers (but it is a donut shop and 10 pm probably isn't there "rush" time either) only knew that it had been in that location for a long time.
    I think the one at NW 36 and May just might be the very first one opened in OKC. I'm pretty certain it was there in the 70s, when that twister ripped through the area and took out buildings on the west side of May, as well as Shotgun Sam's sign and almost all of the already-vacated houses that had been condemned for what is now the Belle Isle Bridge... At the time, I lived at 2612 NW 24, and rode out that storm in a neighbor's basement after the funnel was (erroneously) reported to be at NW 23 and May.

Larry, the DD on 36th, I imagine is what the one n 39th will look like when finished.

Looks like they are gonig to have a drive-thru on the east side of the building. . .nice alternative to Mickey Dee's!!

Thread Information