Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BoBo's Chicken

Food Truck BoBo's Chicken

I want to know more about this little place that, recent news aside, is supposed to be a late night diamond in the rough...

Default Re: BoBo's Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by amaesquire View Post
    I want to know more about this little place that, recent news aside, is supposed to be a late night diamond in the rough...
    I made myself laugh reading my own post. "in the rough"...

Well it is on 23rd street on Friday and Saturday nights. They sell the chicken out of a travel trailer like you would see at the fair. The chicken is smoked and fried. I think they are open from like 10pm to 4 am (but you may need to double check on that). The 2 times I went, they only had legs and thighs… I think I ordered the 10 or 15 piece and it was great. They put your chicken and biscuits in a “to go” box and then pour honey over it all. From what I can remember it wasn’t that expensive.

I heard on the news there was a drive by shooting there this weekend. Every time I go I am out of place, but nobody has ever bothered me or anyone I was with.

Bobo's Chicken is heaven...really. Smoked chicken wings deep fried and served with french fries and deep fried rolls....all drenched in honey. Sounds crazy but it is superb. Now before anyone begins comparing it to Eischen's you simply can't. They are both great but take a completely different approach.

I assume you've never been there so let me give you some advanced warning. It's in a rough neighborhood and there is story after story of people being shot at, shot, or harassed. In fact, looks like they had some problems over the weekend,

Six wounded in overnight shooting at late-night OKC food stand | NewsOK.com

My advice is to go early in the night (they're open from around 8 or 9pm until 4am). The busiest time is after the clubs let out in which case it's packed with people. It can be a scary experience but it is also very worth it!

Well it is on 23rd street
    23rd and what?

23rd and Hood...no, I'm not joking, it's 23rd and Hood.

sounds like good chicken, i wish they were open for lunch.....in the day time.

8. Default Re: BoBo's Chicken

It's by 23rd and MLK. Do a street view. They have it in that empty gravel lot.
    Click here.
    I used to go out there the same time as this shooting happened every Sat night. A friend of mine always talked about how great this food was so I finally went out with them. It's alright, but I got tired of it after every weekend. Some of these guys only went because it was 'dangerous', since of course we're a bunch of white folks. Nothing ever happened though. But after this, I won't ever go back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Okiekim View Post
    Bobo's Chicken is heaven...really. Smoked chicken wings deep fried and served with french fries and deep fried rolls....all drenched in honey. Sounds crazy but it is superb. Now before anyone begins comparing it to Eischen's you simply can't. They are both great but take a completely different approach.

I assume you've never been there so let me give you some advanced warning. It's in a rough neighborhood and there is story after story of people being shot at, shot, or harassed. In fact, looks like they had some problems over the weekend,

Six wounded in overnight shooting at late-night OKC food stand | NewsOK.com

My advice is to go early in the night (they're open from around 8 or 9pm until 4am). The busiest time is after the clubs let out in which case it's packed with people. It can be a scary experience but it is also very worth it!
    Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen. Food being served out of a trailer?? OMG, I wonder if they wash their hands?? Greasy, nasty food, the staple of OKC. No wonder we rank nearly "dead" last on every health category.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen. Food being served out of a trailer?? OMG, I wonder if they wash their hands?? Greasy, nasty food, the staple of OKC. No wonder we rank nearly "dead" last on every health category.
    MMMMMMMMMMMM. Don't you just love it?!?!?!

It's probably true that for some venturing to where it's located is part of the appeal.

Hard to compete with that chicken, though. As a friend says: "Best. Drunk Food. Ever."

Again, go before the clubs get out, or even get going (between 10 and midnight), and it's really pretty okay. Try to go AFTER the clubs let out, and well, you get what you get. It's much more crowded and who knows who was hitting on some guy's girlfriend that night to get the pot stirred up.

I'd love to see something like this in Bricktown. It is late night food extraordinaire - even if it is a heart-attack on a plate.

I was alll set to try to find it this weekend hearing about it on here and liking good food and adventures and all, but.. honey..? yuk. deep fried rolls.. fries.. very dissapointed to have to pass.

Yes, honey! I thought it was odd at first too. They use some kind of spicy seasoning on the chicken so the sweetness of the honey is lovely.

It does seem to be something best appreciated after a few drinks.

14. Default Re: BoBo's Chicken

I hate for this to happen to Sherron. I used to frequent Bobo's just about every weekend, and at one time it was just a cool place to hang out and eat chicken after the club. (circa 2000-2002)

Still keeping it stereotypical, I mean "progressive" in Dallas eh progressiveboy? You don't think Dallas has just as many or more (given that it's a much larger city) of greasy shacks and soul food? I went home at lunch and was watching Discovery Green channel (yeah us greasy Oklahoma rednecks are into healthy lifestyle) and they were showing this grease bucket of a place in all places, DALLAS. It's called Keller's Drive-In.

Keller's Drive-In - Dallas, TX, 75231-8009 - Citysearch

YouTube - keller's burgers

Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
    Average CDI Ranking: 106.9

Texas restaurants are known for big portions, but when it comes to junk food, those in the Dallas-Fort Worth area consume an average amount. That might have something to do with the Texas Education Agency's 2002 restriction of available junk food in schools. But it seems nothing will stop those living in Dallas-Fort Worth from sipping soda--the market ranked 10th in the carbonated sugar beverages category.
    In Depth: America's Junk Food-Obsessed Cities - Forbes.com

Junk food and obesity is a nationwide problem, not just Oklahoma, and it's more the south and southwest regions (Texas included) that have an obesity problem. Let's stay "progressive."

Well Metro what can I say, I obviously hit the nail on the head and as a result you are offended by the truth. Yes, metro the truth hurts. Now go eat your greasy fried chicken but be careful, you might want to put on a bullet proof vest. LOL

17. Default Re: BoBo's Chicken

Well Metro what can I say, I obviously hit the nail on the head and as a result you are offended by the truth. Yes, metro the truth hurts. Now go eat your greasy fried chicken but be careful, you might want to put on a bullet proof vest. LOL
    Stop threadjacking.

That looks like a classic defense mechanism in post form.

Metro presented facts, then you responded with a remark and no facts to present a reasonable argument. Now I am just anxious to see which road you will take after this post. You will either:

A.) Lash out at me, completely ignoring Metro's post so that it will, hopefully, die out and be forgotten.

or

B.) You will hit up google in a frantic search for something to refute Metro's evidence.

Both options will only result in the same thing this post does: straying away from the original topic.

So back on topic, is the chicken at this place really worth the risk?

The honey poured over everything doesn't sound any more unusual to me than, say, Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles.

Thumbs up Re: BoBo's Chicken

This is the greatest place that ever existed, open reaaaaal late, Grab a blunt, spark it up, and get ready for some gooooood chicken............. LOCATED ON 23RD AND HOOD ST. (seriously)............. Treat yourself................ if your scared of hood people go early like at like 7 or 9 pm or something, me i prefer to go at around 3................. mmmmm

I head Bobo's has closed. Does anyone know if this is true or just a vicious rumor?

I head that too.

Thumbs up Re: BoBo's Chicken

I was there last night, and they are alive and well, and the food still rocks!!!!!!!! So yes, it was probably a vicious rumor, and a horrible one at that!

No known killings at BoBo's this week. The big box Petrol down around the corner can not say the same.

Shop local, even in the hood!

Mr. Bravo and I went to give it a try. We waited in line in the 30 degree wind and it was totally worth it. We ordered the Wings n Things and Catfish n Things (things = fries and fried biscuits with spicy seasoning) and they were both fantastic. It was going to be a 12 minute wait for them to cook the catfish, so we waited in our car until he waived us over to pick up our order when it was ready.

An Oklahoma Co Sheriff was parked next to the trailor for quite a while and I assumed that he was off-duty security until he went and picked up his order and left. We're never felt concerned for our safety and most of the folks coming and going didn't look sketchy in the slightest, security guard or not. We did go at 9:30, not after bar/club closing.

I'm a little confused why anyone would be dubious about honey in combination with chicken. I can think of several honey-chicken/other protein combination recipes off the top of my head - Honey BBQ chicken wings comes to mind first. Sweet and savory compliment one another nicely and Bobo's Wings n Things are no exception.

Oh give me a break. A little fried chicken is good for the soul every once in a while. Seriously, don't you live in Dallas? They eat piles of Tex-Mex, BBQ and fast food there, not to mention thick steaks, etc.

Regarding cleanliness, I often get tacos at the taco trucks and I've noticed they use hand sanitizer and have health inspections.

What really makes people fat is the lack of walking, car culture, processed food and Big Gulps.

Thread Information