Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kimray New Headquarters

Northeast OKC Kimray New Headquarters

6/20/14: Kimray closes on purchase of 78 acres for $2,312,000
    County Assessor Record

Kimray to build new headquarters in Oklahoma City | News OK

Kimray Inc. plans to move its headquarters to a spacious new campus at Britton and Eastern, the equipment manufacturer announced Thursday.
    Kimray intends to develop about 35 acres in a 136-acre tract on the northwest corner of Britton and Eastern, although the additional space gives it room to grow.

Kimray's new campus will allow the company to consolidate its facilities.

Construction will not begin until 2015 at the earliest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kimray.jpg 
Views:	1923 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	7091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kimray1.jpg 
Views:	1884 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	7092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kimray2.jpg 
Views:	1837 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	7093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kimray3.jpg 
Views:	1830 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	7094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kimray4.jpg 
Views:	1784 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	7095  

Default Re: Kimray

I first learned of Kimray as rabid supporters of The John Birch Society. They were frequent advertisers in the old John Birch magazine and various newsletters. I'm talking decades ago when TJBS was labled a "radical" organization by the FBI.

Looks like nothing has changed:

YouTube video OCPAC Weekly Meeting 03/28/2012 - YouTube

Published on Mar 29, 2012
    Our speaker for this Wednesday will be Mr. Tom Hill, former CEO of Kimray Inc. a major manufacturer of oil field equipment, specializing in valves. In addition, Mr. Hill is the founder of the Character First Ministry and a former recipient of Oklahoma City's Salt and Light Award. Over the years Tom has been a significant supporter of OCPAC and he and his wife Kay are lifetime members of the John Birch Society. He will be speaking about his new book, MAKING CHARACTER FIRST - BUILDING A CULTURE OF CHARACTER IN ANY ORGANIZATION. While Tom has attended several OCPAC meetings when his youngest son, David has been a speaker, I believe this will be the first time for him to actually be the speaker at OCPAC. I consider Tom a mentor and a friend and as such, am really happy to have him as a speaker.

Tom Hill goes way back to when the John Birch Society was considered a nationalist anti-American right-wing organization.

Just thought some might find this interesting.

This is the 136 acres that is mentioned.

It still hasn't changed hands; currently owned by Aubrey McClendon / Arcadia Farms:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the 136 acres that is mentioned.

It still hasn't changed hands; currently owned by Aubrey McClendon / Arcadia Farms:
    I believe that would have to be re-zoned as well, unless it was already done. I'd have to check. That may receive some opposition by nearby landowners. It'll introduce heavy truck traffic into the area. Very interesting.

The Oklahoman has the current location wrong - it's EAST of I-235...

5. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

The site is perplexing because it is equidistant (emphasis in the distant) between two highways. What type of development does the master plan call for here? I'm assuming residential neighborhoods..

Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

Then land sale is contingent on the rezoning, which is why it is not final yet per the county assessor. The facility will consist of approx. 400,000 SF of manufacturing space and approx. 100,000 SF of office space. This is going to be a significant development.

7. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

I wonder if there is any chance they will take the Character Training Institute with them and free the old Holiday Inn up for redevelopment as a hotel or housing. It seems the value would enable them to cash out very high on that property.

I thought Aubrey and Bill Cameron were going to develop all of this stuff themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The site is perplexing because it is equidistant (emphasis in the distant) between two highways. What type of development does the master plan call for here? I'm assuming residential neighborhoods..
    It is all R-1 at this point... City of Oklahoma City | Zoning Locator

The NE Sector Plan (2009) is located here: http://www.okc.gov/planning/document...esolutions.pdf

The land use plan shows this as "Urban Development". From page 41 (Land Use and Zoning):

"A little less than one‐quarter of the sector is designated as Urban Development. Predominant uses within the Urban Development designation are single‐family homes, apartments of moderate densities, regional and community shopping centers, low‐rise office buildings and industrial development in selected areas. Within this designation residential densities usually exceed one dwelling unit per acre."

From page 89:

"3.3.2 Urban Growth and Industrial Areas
    GOAL A. Ensure that urban and industrial development is compatible with adjoining land uses and will complement and enhance the sector’s character.
    OBJECTIVE 1. Encourage new development to be designed to promote walkability, decrease dependence on automobiles, preserve open space, and relate to the scale and character of surrounding land uses.
    EXISTING COMPREHENSIVE PLAN POLICIES
    > Encourage a variety of land uses, intensities, and development patterns, including the use of grid plats, to provide more diverse residential options, a wider variety of commercial goods and services, and a more efficient use of public services.
    > Promote high‐quality, desirable residential neighborhoods that are compact and pedestrian‐friendly with a mix of uses within walking distance. Neighborhood streets should be safe for children, comfortable for bicycling, and pleasant for walking."

The City recently completed the Employment Lands Needs Assessment and Action Plan (http://www.okc.gov/planning/plans+st...nd%20Study.pdf). The plan includes specific areas where new industrial projects should be located. This location is listed as a target area for new industrial development. (Pages 8 and 9 - area 13).

So, looking at the ELNAAP and the NE Sector Plan, it appears that it will be recommended for approval by staff, but I DO see neighboring interests having concerns and definitely voicing them. Should be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I thought Aubrey and Bill Cameron were going to develop all of this stuff themselves.
    Aubrey still owns tons of land on Broadway Extension which is where I've heard he wants to build his new campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Aubrey still owns tons of land on Broadway Extension which is where I've heard he wants to build his new campus.
    Makes sense. I've heard the 2 of them plan on building restaurants and a bunch of other stuff. They talked about it when AFA moved into their new building. Of course that might not be public info.

Hopefully that area along Broadway Extension will be developed soon.

Article from Money/CNN that discusses some Kimray business practices.

Five ways to make it in the U.S.A. - Jan. 16, 2014

Kimray has revealed plans for it's 140-acre campus on land currently owned by Aubrey McClendon:

That is the most dull and boring looking front entrance I have seen in some time. The side elevations are not so bad. But, the front entrance is just plain ugly. Was creativity discouraged?

16. Default Re: Kimray New Headquarters

Probs.

Quote Originally Posted by Klop View Post
    That is the most dull and boring looking front entrance I have seen in some time. The side elevations are not so bad. But, the front entrance is just plain ugly. Was creativity discouraged?
    It doesn't really seem that bad for what it is: An industrial shop/ warehouse.

Excellent. This area in between I-235/I-35/I-44/ needs some infill bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Klop View Post
    Good Lord, some of you guys are such downers on everything. We're talking about a manufacturing facility for oil & gas valves basically out in the woods, not some urbantopia mixed use center in the middle of town.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Good Lord, some of you guys are such downers on everything. We're talking about a manufacturing facility for oil & gas valves basically out in the woods, not some urbantopia mixed use center in the middle of town.
    Agreed. The entrance really only needs a "Get yo ass in here and get to work" feel to it.

I don't see any issue with this. Glad to see the NE get some love.

Blog Entries

Apologies for the probably ignorant question, but why can't they do this where they are now? Are they out of space?

I don't really object to what or where it is, just didn't understand the motivation for moving.

Another possibly stupid question... are there no synergies to having the recent oil company moves (GE, Baker-Hughes, KimRay) be near each other? I really don't know, so serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Apologies for the probably ignorant question, but why can't they do this where they are now? Are they out of space?

I don't really object to what or where it is, just didn't understand the motivation for moving.

Another possibly stupid question... are there no synergies to having the recent oil company moves (GE, Baker-Hughes, KimRay) be near each other? I really don't know, so serious question.
    That depends on how tightly the companies work together, if there is not a lot of travel between the two facilities five more minutes travel time is not that big a deal; if they do more travel to Chesapeake, Access Midstream and American Energy Partners then this move will drop the average transit time.

Is there rail access? If not, does that indicate a change in their business?

Quote Originally Posted by tomokc View Post
    Is there rail access? If not, does that indicate a change in their business?
    Most of the tracks are gone around the Headquarters building and what is left does not look like they get much use since there is material that would need to be moved by truck or a forklift sitting on them

Thread Information