Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Park Avenue Retail Study

Far North Park Avenue Retail Study

The OKC Economic Development Trust commissioned a study of the downtown Park Avenue corridor.

The study was finalized and I've clipped some of the more interesting parts. Great recommendations regarding Oklahoma Tower, Leadership Square and Robinson Renaissance. I'll clip some more parts and add them later.

2. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Either this is a precursor to a FNC conversation or a waste of time. I think in 20 years we will be looking at reconnecting Main.

Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Yes, it wasn't that long ago (mid-80's) that the entire First National arcade was full with great mostly up-scale tenants, most of which fronted on Park: Harold's, Orbach's, Streets, Hallmark, etc.

As far as I know, the arcade is still in disrepair, as the current owners started a renovation project but never finished it.

Until that situation is resolved, it's hard to imagine much progress here, as FNC takes the majority of that street frontage.

Maybe this means the OKC EDT thinks something is going to happen with that property.

One can hope.

5. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Either this is a precursor to a FNC conversation or a waste of time. I think in 20 years we will be looking at reconnecting Main.
    I seriously doubt that will happen considering the two parking garages that sit in the path. One just expanded and the other about to undergo expansion. Not to mention the elephant in the room, Devon. Actually, I'd say Devon is more akin to a "Whale in the room" than an elephant.

I really hope something good comes out of this as Park Avenue has such a great sense of place. I feel as if I'm in another city while on that stretch; a retail corridor would be amazing. Plus it already has a few retail tenants if I'm not mistaken. BC Clarks and the woman's shop on Robinson. Does the UMB (City Place?*) building possess any street frontage space for retail? All the other structures seem capable of holding retail on the street. It's definitely possible should the FNC see some real lovin'.

6. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

City Place's Park Avenue retail frontage is fully occupied by a UMB Bank location. Technically a retail use.

This is a great step in the right direction. I have long said that downtown needs to unify its retail space under a common plan/management to better compete with suburban retail. Step 1 of any serious plan should be to close the FNC retail arcade and open those businesses directly to the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    City Place's Park Avenue retail frontage is fully occupied by a UMB Bank location. Technically a retail use.
    Banks, dry cleaners, hair salons and the like are classified as services.

It's an important distinction: Restaurants, services, and retail are all very different animals.

I'm sure this study will focus on retail only.

9. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, it wasn't that long ago (mid-80's) that the entire First National arcade was full with great mostly up-scale tenants, most of which fronted on Park: Harold's, Orbach's, Streets, Hallmark, etc.

As far as I know, the arcade is still in disrepair, as the current owners started a renovation project but never finished it.

Until that situation is resolved, it's hard to imagine much progress here, as FNC takes the majority of that street frontage.

Maybe this means the OKC EDT thinks something is going to happen with that property.
    I was in the arcade in December and didn't notice major disrepair. I noticed the crappy finishes, but that was the extent of the bad I saw. There was actually a lovely Christmas tree and a piano up in the Great Banking Hall.

10. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Yeah, most if not all of the open ceiling tiles, torn up walls, etc., have now been closed up. I was there earlier today for lunch.

They had started a big renovation project then stopped it after doing only a very small portion.

12. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

I understand that; only saying most if not all of the gaping holes and exposed mechanicals are no longer gaping and exposed.

13. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Just as a side note, why are we studying retail for Park Avenue when I don't think we've ever studied retail for N Broadway or Bricktown? Bricktown even provides an interesting case study bc it had a wave if retail that failed. This is irregular bc normally you'd do a downtown retail study that identifies key nodes w strategies for each, and Park Ave would be one of those.

The low bid on this will probably be around $40k. That happened in Akron where I represented a developer on a retail study task force and these low bid consultants' qualifications were essentially that the husband can do PowerPoint and wife knows her shopping. It really made me wonder why I don't do "consulting"

Getting back to this study, my point is I know downtown retail studies and this is weird. Either something is happening or it's a bad idea. We know the city is looking at a PPP deal for FNC...

I've been wondering why I don't do consulting as well. Especially when you look at their "scoring" and see things that don't make sense. Hey, I can do PowerPoint and shop with the best of them. I'd probably do it for $38,000.

Steve's article on this.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/3930603?embargo=1

The Oklahoma City Planning Department is set to hire two consultants to assist in an analysis of how to promote and recruit retail along Park Avenue between Harvey Avenue and Broadway, and another to help with redesigning the street as part of the upcoming Project 180 improvement and to work with adjoining property owners.

The Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust agreed Tuesday to pay $40,000 toward the study, with the remaining $40,000 to be paid by Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City, and the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber.
    Ian Colgan, the city’s Urban Redevelopment Division Manager, cautions that recasting Park Avenue as a retail corridor won’t be quick or easy. But he believes the street has the best shot at becoming the retail corridor demanded by locals and visitors. Park Avenue is home to Floral and Hardy Florist, a Thunder team store, B.C. Clark Jewelers, and a gift shop operated by Feed the Children.
    Colgan said the Central Business District has failed to develop a new retail corridor despite a growing workforce, several hotels, and venues that include the Myriad Gardens, a library and convention center. Park Avenue, meanwhile, has a string of storefronts at First National Center, City Place Tower, Robinson Renaissance and other buildings that, with upcoming street improvements, can be better promoted as a unified shopping corridor.

16. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Has Ian Colgan been to Automobile Alley??

Blog Entries

The low bid on this will probably be around $40k. That happened in Akron where I represented a developer on a retail study task force and these low bid consultants' qualifications were essentially that the husband can do PowerPoint and wife knows her shopping. It really made me wonder why I don't do "consulting"
    So, it is $80,000, not $40,0000

Has Ian Colgan been to Automobile Alley??
    If AA could fill in its gaps and move some office space off the first floors, it could be a great retail strip. While the surface lots seem to be a liability now, it could help attract some retail that is only interested in new construction. It also seems to me there is opportunity to fill in a lot of the space behind the buildings on the east side with parking.

I think Park Avenue needs retail and it would be a cool place for it, but in a town that thinks it has a parking problem, Park kind of comes off as the most improbable answer to downtown retail.

19. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, it is $80,000, not $40,0000
    That's a lot for a weird little study with the narrowest scope in the history of weird little studies

I wonder if they might consider closing Park between Harvey and Broadway and make it a pedestrian-only corridor. They could put some gateway arches at Harvey, both sides of Robinson, and at Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I wonder if they might consider closing Park between Harvey and Broadway and make it a pedestrian-only corridor. They could put some gateway arches at Harvey, both sides of Robinson, and at Broadway.
    Ummm. No

Then I suggest you stay tuned .

23. Default Re: Park Avenue Retail Studay

That's a commonly failed idea from the 80s.

Blog Entries

Yeah...haven't been to any city where those pedestrian plaza's of the 80's actually succeeded.

Thread Information