Widgets Magazine

Thread: Food Labels (best or sell by)

Default Food Labels (best or sell by)

California passed a bill to ban the practice of using labels to show "best by" or "sell by" in order to reduce food waste. How many people here use these labels? I have noticed milk can last longer than the best by date and can also spoil quicker. Sushi or raw sashimi grade fish is the same way. I get spooked sometimes. I think the intentions by the California government is to reduce food waste.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nut...f93d6fab&ei=14

Default Re: Food Labels (best or sell by)

Cleaning this up would be great. There is confusion by how many different types of labels there are and what exactly they mean.

Sometimes I help my grandmother out. I’ll clean the fridge. She’ll get really mad at me for throwing out certain products even if they’re past the expiration date. It seems like there are a lot of factors that determine when exactly an expiration date for a specific food product you have would be.

Some of these are regulated and some not, while other dates are just recommendations from sources such as the FDA.

I went through my mother's cabinets during the earlier 2000s and found cans of salmon from the 1970s and a can of cling peaches buried behind other things from when l was a kid in the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Some of these are regulated and some not, while other dates are just recommendations from sources such as the FDA.

I went through my mother's cabinets during the earlier 2000s and found cans of salmon from the 1970s and a can of cling peaches buried behind other things from when l was a kid in the 1960s.
    Canned goods if they are canned and stored correctly essentially do not go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Canned goods if they are canned and stored correctly essentially do not go bad.
    i imagine that i'll have the "awesome" task of cleaning out my parents' cabinets within the next couple years... i'm pretty certain there are canned items from 30-40 years ago. i'll be happy to box those up and send them your way, knowing that you will enjoy them! : )

I thought it was pretty simple. Best buy means it will last longer might not taste as good. Sale buy means that it's probably going to go bad quickly after that date. There is a reason sale by date is on hamburger it will go bad if they don't sale it by that date. Take it home and freeze it.

About 10 years ago I get a phone call from my 90 year old mom. She had found a bag of frozen beets from 1977. no kidding 1977.

And her and her husband ate them and said they were good. Around 40 plus years old, I thought about the freezer burn...

Thread Information