Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympics

Default Olympics

Chicago and Tokyo are out.

Default Re: Olympics

Blame it on Rio?

Kevin, you always crack me up. Lame as that is, you crack me up...

Is that official word?

5. Default Re: Olympics

While I'm not shocked, I had a strong feeling that they would finally take the opportunity to get the games south of the Equator (well at least on this side of the world). We'll find out here in a bit if that is the case.

Just saw AP link, so it's official. Didn't realize, I guess, that the IOC went through more than one round of voting. Guess it's between Rio and Madrid now. I agree with Venture in that Rio has always seemed to be the top-runner as a Games have never been held in South America.

I figured Tokyo was a longshot since they just held a Games in Asia. I figured that Chicago would at least be able to go toe to toe with Rio, though. Disappointed the loss came this early in voting.

High level Olympic politics are very Euro-centric. Will be really curious to read any post-vote analysis, if any.

Wonderful News!
    I watched the whine-fest put on by our "dreamy team" late last night live. The mayor of Chicago came across terrible, Michelle O had one sad sob story after another, The rest of the speakers for the US were not impressive. Can't say sorry enough and whine into the games.
    There was questions asked by IOC members as to the distance for some venues. not answered well.

8. Default Re: Olympics

Announcement coming now...well...in 25 minutes. LOL

http://www.universalsports.com/media...b_oem_id=23000

They dinged us on the bombing in Atlanta and the ice skating debacle in Salt Lake. The bombing I can understand....the salt lake thing...(it was other nation's judges in the hot seat).

10. Default Re: Olympics

I would say the other things against the US besides that...we've had Summer and Winter games in the last 20 years. The Games are meant to be shared around the world. We can't be entitled to them every decade.

11. Default Re: Olympics

Rio has the games.

Well, you can definitely say they'll be colorful!

Salt Lake put on a very laudable Winter Games. Atlanta, well, I can still hear in my mind the Samaranch Closing Ceremony speech that wasn't; a quick, a terse "thank you" and faint praise, where there are usually glowing exultations of a job well done. Atlanta was a debacle, from funding/sponsor issues, to the bombing, to transportation, housing. Really a mess.

Congrats to Rio!!! They deserve it. From what I saw of Chicago's presentation it was pretty weak, I just dont think the passion was there, even the citizens of Chicago itself were divided on whether they wanted the games. Passion won't be a problem in Rio. Im sure it'll be salsy.

The only things I find a bummer are that we will now be watching the summer olympics in winter, and with that we'll have an extra lag of 6 months between either the previous..or following winter olympics. I think I can live with it though.

14. Default Re: Olympics

I agree, congrats to Rio. I just dont think we need that kind of headache in this country right now. Passion definitely won't be a problem for the Brazilians. I went to a world cup game in Dallas years ago when they had it in the US and the Brazilians were incredible fans with constant singing, drumming..it was memorable.

I think South America needed a chance at it.

16. Default Re: Olympics

Yep...Brazilians will definitely rally around it, hopefully, and in the same step - work to clean up their city.

As far as having them in the US...honestly, people bitching about "oh this isn't a good time for the games" - unless you can say for certainty what the state of the country/city/state/whatever...is 7 years from now, shut it. Last I checked, things weren't too good in 1990 when Atlanta was awarded. I'm sure the same can be said for the 70s when LA won its bid. Yes I understand the financial burden the games have on cities, but in the end...the US host cities have made money. Not to mention the exposure and PR for your home town is 2nd to none.

I think though we have to pause and realize...the US has hosted 8 Olympics so far - winter & summer. That is more than any other country, France is 2nd with 5. Looking at it by continent...Europe has 30, North America 12, Asia 5, Australia 2...and now South America 1. Africa has yet to join the list, but that may be an option for 2020...though I'm not sure if they would go south of the equator again. I think the US can get it again for 2020, but we'll need a strong host city application. Personally I would like to see that "little" city south of the Red River go for it due to the fact we'll see benefits up here.

17. Default Re: Olympics

If people are interest...voting results:

Round 1
    Madrid - 28
    Rio - 26
    Tokyo - 22
    Chicago - 18

Round 2
    Rio - 46
    Madrid - 29
    Tokyo - 20

Round 3
    Rio - 66
    Madrid - 32

Looks like once Chicago lost, those voters went right to Rio..same with the Tokyo voters. Europeans (I would guess) seemed to stick with Madrid all the way through but the rest didn't want to go there.

18. Default Re: Olympics

Rush Limbaugh was having a field day with the news. I haven't heard him so excited in a few days.

I like it that Rio got it. I get sick of the Obama's and Oprah thinking they can just go anywhere and the whole world will bow down to their wishes.

Oprah thinks she can throw her weight around (and if you've seen her lately you know how much weight that is!) but this time it didn't work.

Anyone who thiks the Obamas and Oprah "lost" the bid for the US is delusional. Chicago was a long shot from the beginning. I wanted Chicago to win, but I think Rio deserves it more....so apparently does the IOC. As for Rush and anyone who takes enjoyment in an American defeat they're .................sadly unamerican. Has it really come to this?

It has, they rather America fail then win, or more Americans suffer so they can take delight in it.
    They're traitors and should be encourage to leave,and I'm sure since they want a Fascist theocracy and with their VAST numbers, and with those same guns and explosives that we "have to pry from their cold dead hands",they can take over Iran.
    And when they do leave, good damm bloody riddance!

I expect Kia to cash-in by announcing the 2016 Kia Rio-Olympic Edition sedan/coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    . Africa has yet to join the list, but that may be an option for 2020 .
    I can see Johannesburg or Cairo as the prime contenders.

23. Default Re: Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by decepticobra View Post
    I can see Johannesburg or Cairo as the prime contenders.
    Cairo I think would be an amazingly unique location for something like this. Can just imagine the opening ceremonies with the pyramids in the background.

Part of me is disappointed for Chicago but a bigger part of me is relieved. It may be short sighted because it would bring in money for Chicago but we have got so many bills to pay, right now... Yes, I know that could result in people being hired but these things have just gotten so expensive and I'm sure the rest of us would have been the ones who ended up picking up the tab. All the state taxes would have gone there. We'd have gotten the bill. Congratulations to Rio.

Chicago dinna really want it. I figure that's gotta be the case.

Cause if anyone knows how to persuade voters, it's folks with Chicago connections. Hells bells, they used to know how to get dead folks to vote fer cryin' out loud.

We now return you to the regular discussion.

Thread Information