Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ever Wonder What Was Here?

1. Default Ever Wonder What Was Here?

Here's a pic I took a couple of years ago on a dreary day of the Metro Parking Garage at Hudson & Kerr ...

Only some old-timers will know what was there before, as shown in the October 19, 1950, ad for the property's tenant, below:

The Central Club was one of six or so downtown hangouts of the bookies ... where you could go downtown, hang out, openly place your bets with the openly visible bookmakers, and inhale all of the second-or-first hand smoke that your lungs could endure.

The police tried and tried but could never stop 'em. Only the Pei Plan and urban renewal could do that though it seems like overkill, if you ask me!

For a trip to downtown Oklahoma City's underbelly memory lane, go here: Doug Dawgz Blog: The Central Club, et al. and have a good time imagining then teenager Pody Poe watching Minnesota Fats shoot pool in the Central Club back in the 1940s.

Default Re: Ever Wonder What Was Here?

There's an old saw that police generally could not shut down bookies because bookies always knew which LEO's and which politicos owed money to whom, how much was owed, and what it was lost on.

All old saws have some toothie to them, some are sharper than others though.

Doug, another great post. Kudos and attaboys to you. You my friend are the backbone of OKCTALK. Your knowledge and research keeps me and many other coming back for more. Please continue to keep up your outstanding work.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Amen
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10-4 "Good Buddy":.....you fascinate me with the stuff you find....you mentioned a library card....I just found the OKC library yesterday to find out they moved it....Oh well, I'll follow you....

6. Default Re: Ever Wonder What Was Here?

Quote Originally Posted by rondvu View Post
    Doug, another great post. Kudos and attaboys to you. You my friend are the backbone of OKCTALK. Your knowledge and research keeps me and many other coming back for more. Please continue to keep up your outstanding work.
    Thanks guys. Blushing I am.

Thread Information