Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember Kip's Big Boy?

Default Remember Kip's Big Boy?

Not sure if they are around anymore...but I was quite fond of coffee and Strawberry Pie or a Hot Fudge Sundae at the downtown Kip's after working on the Daily Oklahoman night shift when I was a young chap in the 60's...nice waitresses as well...

Default Re: Remember Kip's Big Boy?

I remember Kip's Big Boy in Midwest City from my childhood. I used to love their French Toast. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I remember Kip's Big Boy in Midwest City from my childhood. I used to love their French Toast. Good stuff.
    I went to them a lot in Southern California...known as Bob's Big Boy out there...same menu...good place

S.W 59th and western, N.W. 23rd and (?) was in front of the bowling alley, Reno & Meridian.

Not the best I ever had of anything on the menu but not bad in a pinch.

Wasn't there a pool hall upstairs of the downtown location? I remember going there in the early 70s to shoot a few games. It was just a smokey pool hall like they all were back in the day. If memory serves they had a signed pic of Jackie Gleason as Minnesota Fats as he made the rounds back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Wasn't there a pool hall upstairs of the downtown location? I remember going there in the early 70s to shoot a few games. It was just a smokey pool hall like they all were back in the day. If memory serves they had a signed pic of Jackie Gleason as Minnesota Fats as he made the rounds back in the day.
    I know there was an upstairs at the downtown location. Don't remember if it was a pool hall or not, though. I remember a 1000 Island dressing burger, before I ever tasted a Big Mac. (Le Big Mac)

I have alot of good memories of the Kip's on S.W.59th and Western back in the 60's. Maybe not the best food but, really liked the place.

Empire Pool Hall!!!!!

Kip's was there first and then one block south later on. Remember the Orange Julious (sp) place?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, I don't remember a picture of Jackie Gleason....But, I remember seeing Minnesota Fats himself there playing...Quite a pool player but, he was playing snooker that night.....or morning...I know it was late or early....

There was one on N.Classen south of 36th. Since there were so many freaks around at the time late 60's early 70's, they more or less instituted a "cover-charge" for sitting in their booth and limited the number of free drink refills.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey, I don't remember a picture of Jackie Gleason....But, I remember seeing Minnesota Fats himself there playing...Quite a pool player but, he was playing snooker that night.....or morning...I know it was late or early....
    Did Empire have any regular pool tables? I only remember it having snooker tables.

Was the Kips furnished in orange art deco with an entryway on the southeast side of the business? Didn't Kips have two levels?

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    There was one on N.Classen south of 36th. Since there were so many freaks around at the time late 60's early 70's, they more or less instituted a "cover-charge" for sitting in their booth and limited the number of free drink refills.
    Lots of "freaks" (Oklahoma hippies) hung out at the park behind the fire station on the SE corner of NW 36th and Classen. The park had a nice multi-tiered fountain close to the Classen Blvd side.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    Lots of "freaks" (Oklahoma hippies) hung out at the park behind the fire station on the SE corner of NW 36th and Classen. The park had a nice multi-tiered fountain close to the Classen Blvd side.
    Memorial Park is where a lot of freaks went to hang out after the cops sanitized The Street (Paseo). AFAIK, the fountain is still there and running, which it never did in those days (65-73). It's been a few months since I've been in OKC though.

Did Empire have any regular pool tables? I only remember it having snooker tables.

Was the Kips furnished in orange art deco with an entryway on the southeast side of the business? Didn't Kips have two levels?
    When you went up the stairs, you would be about middle ways of the room. The POOL tables were up by the front (main street) area and the snooker tables were towards the back....It seemed the "younger" crowd played Snooker and the others played pool....then again, there was another crowd that did something else way in the back....kept hearing come on seven?????

16. Default Re: Remember Kip's Big Boy?

We used to go to the on on N. May and 28th (or so) for lunch once in a while from NW Classen. Right across the street.

I bought a motorcycle in the Mid/Dell area one February many years ago. I lived in Bethany. It was cold. I stopped at the one at Reno and Meridian. I bought coffee. Partly to drink and partly to stick my fingers in to regain feeling.

It is because of the freaks that OKC established curfews for the okc parks.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    I have alot of good memories of the Kip's on S.W.59th and Western back in the 60's. Maybe not the best food but, really liked the place.
    Loved to hang out in the parking lot until the manager would come out and run us off if we weren't going to come in and buy something.

OK now I remember. There was a pic of Minnesota Fats and Jackie Gleason shaking hands that was taken at that pool hall. I remember it was signed by both and was in black & white. Is there any old pool halls like that left? We used to go to the old coney island and have a few coneys then go to the pool hall and shoot a few games. I do remember that there was another room there where I always assumed they were playing cards or craps but I never went in there. I think I remember that they had an old shoe shine guy that hung around in there.

Quote Originally Posted by okcrt View Post
    ok now i remember. There was a pic of minnesota fats and jackie gleason shaking hands that was taken at that pool hall. I remember it was signed by both and was in black & white. Is there any old pool halls like that left? We used to go to the old coney island and have a few coneys then go to the pool hall and shoot a few games. I do remember that there was another room there where i always assumed they were playing cards or craps but i never went in there. I think i remember that they had an old shoe shine guy that hung around in there.
    remember the shine guy always would wax shine your shoes and before he buffed your shoes he would put alcohol on the wax and light it...said it melted the wax smoother and he shine them so well you could your face...not really, just thought you did. Coneyisland is still down town on main and walker.....

Quote Originally Posted by osu cowboy View Post
    Loved to hang out in the parking lot until the manager would come out and run us off if we weren't going to come in and buy something.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    T.G. & Y. opened in that center in February of 1965.....Safeway was just north of the store....there was a paint store to the south.....That center was very slow getting started but, at one time it was quite a good place...I remember before my wife and I got married we would always deposit all the money we could get conjured together at the Southwestern Bank and Trust there on the corner...withdrew everything for our Honeymoon and went to New Orleans...We were loaded (we thought)....had $155.00....away we went to the "Big Easy"....stayed three days....came home with $85.00 in our pocket (Her purse).....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    T.G. & Y. opened in that center in February of 1965.....Safeway was just north of the store....there was a paint store to the south.....That center was very slow getting started but, at one time it was quite a good place...I remember before my wife and I got married we would always deposit all the money we could get conjured together at the Southwestern Bank and Trust there on the corner...withdrew everything for our Honeymoon and went to New Orleans...We were loaded (we thought)....had $155.00....away we went to the "Big Easy"....stayed three days....came home with $85.00 in our pocket (Her purse).....
    With all the head injuries you have had, how can we be sure it's real....

remember the shine guy always would wax shine your shoes and before he buffed your shoes he would put alcohol on the wax and light it...said it melted the wax smoother and he shine them so well you could your face...not really, just thought you did. Coneyisland is still down town on main and walker.....
    Can you remember when the Original coney island was next door to the south of the State Theater on Robinson downtown??? The bus stop was right out their front door!! That would have been the late 50's!!!!!!!!!!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    It is because of the freaks that OKC established curfews for the
    okc parks.
    That is Memorial Park. I got to be one of the hippies that hung
    there.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    That is Memorial Park. I got to be one of the hippies that hung
    there.
    Since you also lived in the area, why is it the Blue Goose never reopened after they didn't get popped in the Halloween '72 bust, but weren't open that night?

Thread Information