Widgets Magazine

Thread: Anyone Receiving 5.1 Audio on Channel 9 Broadcasts?

Default Anyone Receiving 5.1 Audio on Channel 9 Broadcasts?

Hi,

Although I've been getting Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on some Channel 25/FOX broadcasts ("24", NFL games, etc) I've yet to receive 5.1 on Channel 9/CBS. CBS advertises some shows (like CSI Miami) as 5.1, but I've not yet actually encountered 5.1 on Channel 9. I suspect that the local affiliate has not upgraded to the equipment neccesary to (re)broadcast the 5.1 that the network provides, so they're transmitting standard 2 channel stereo with their HDTV programming. I was especially disappointed that the Superbowl didn't feature 5.1.

Can anyone confirm?

BTW, I'm receiving my local channels off of an attic antenna, not as a sub-feed from a satellite or cable provider..

Thanks.

Default Re: Anyone Receiving 5.1 Audio on Channel 9 Broadcasts?

I notcied the superbowl wasn't in 5.1. I watched it on Cox's HD, but i think they just pass on the local feed.

I have no idea why they are not including the 5.1 audio. I have also noticed that KFOR will not show some things in HD. It seems every week I get either The Office or My Name Is Earl in HD, but never both. It seems our local affliates have some serious issues with their HD programming.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    It seems our local affiliates have some serious issues with their HD programming.
    Yeah, and that's not even mentioning Channel 5, the distant third among the big three. I've heard that they're not taking the HD thing seriously yet, either as a Network and/or a local broadcaster. I suppose that those are just rumors, though... What I do know is that. out of all of the local channels, Channel 5 is the only one that broadcasts their Digital/HD via VHF, rather than UHF. Apparently Channel 5 coverage in rural areas (like mine, in Tri-Cities) is spotty at best. Part of the reason is my antenna: in order to maximize gain I opted for a dedicated UHF: it's much smaller than a comparable VHF or UHF/VHF combo, which leaves more room in the attic, and signal strength is always strong (I also use an LNA). I don't get a hint of Channel 5 digital.

very interesting... so that's why i can't get channel 5 via hd antenna. thanks alot, channel five. -M

5. Default Re: Anyone Receiving 5.1 Audio on Channel 9 Broadcasts?

I hate to start a new thread to ask this, so maybe someone will read this and be inclined to answer.

Seems like the last few days, KOCO's over-the-air signal has improved tremendously. I also noticed, but I don't know when it happened, that KFOR's signal is better too!

KFOR used to be very "noisy" and I've heard others mention it on this board.

Also, KWTV's signal has been incredible since about November, so I'm glad to see that.

I've noticed the same increase in quality at my own mother's house, so I don't think it's anything I did by accident.

Thread Information