Widgets Magazine

Thread: Logan vs. Oklahoma County

Default Logan vs. Oklahoma County

We're house-hunting and we've found a couple houses online that are north of Waterloo. They have Edmond addresses but are in Logan County. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to living in Logan County? Thanks.

2. Default Re: Logan vs. Oklahoma County

I grew up in the area, so I can give you a bit of insight.

The biggest thing to worry about is schools. Many houses have Edmond addresses and zip codes but are actually in the Guthrie school district. Not that Guthrie schools are bad, but they are not Edmond schools.

While parts of OK county in that area are not in Edmond city limits, generally anything south of Waterloo is Edmond. That cuts both ways. There is no “City” to tell you what you can and cannot do or build, but there is nothing to prevent your neighbor from doing or building either. You can shoot of fireworks in your driveway 365 days a year…and so can your neighbors. Your neighbor can start a salvage yard next door and there is not a lot you can do about it.

If you are in a neighborhood with a strong, enforced covenant, than these issues are somewhat mitigated, if the neighborhood you are looking at does not have these (like the one I lived in), run away. If you are looking for a house on a acreage, then Logan county is probably OK, but if you are looking in a neighborhood or subdivision, be very, very careful.

I would generally avoid the area between I-35 on the east and Bryant Ave on the west. The epicenter of this region is at Coltrane and Waterloo and is known locally as Felony Flats.

Default Re: Logan vs. Oklahoma County

For your reference:

This is off topic, so I apologize, but does anyone know the history or details of the "annexed" area of that map? I know that when my father was an Edmond councilman, they tried to annex Arcadia as part of Edmond, but school districts are different, so I'm curious how that happens.

I believe that in the case of Arcadia, residents approached the EPS to annex them and then there was a vote in the City of Arcadia.

That area was previously part of OKC public schools.

That's interesting. I know they fought pretty hard against Edmond annexing them, so it seems they wanted to be part of EPS but not part of Edmond.

Being part of EPS helps home values pretty significantly.

But when this sort of switch in district occurs, property owners also have to take on any current bond issues. Future ones too, but at least in that case they can participate in the vote.

So, property taxes go up to pay off the bond-funded improvements for the district.

As I recall, Arcadia was in OKC schools and a few years back Arcadia essentially got split with the West half going to Edmond schools and the East half going to Luther schools. Edmond city limits surround Arcadia, so it would certainly make more sense that going to OKC schools.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I grew up in the area, so I can give you a bit of insight.

The biggest thing to worry about is schools. Many houses have Edmond addresses and zip codes but are actually in the Guthrie school district. Not that Guthrie schools are bad, but they are not Edmond schools..
    Since we're both in our very late 60s and never had kids, schools aren't a concern - but thanks for all the info. Tomorrow we're seeing a house in Shadow Lake Hills, which is just north of Waterloo off Santa Fe.

10. Default Re: Logan vs. Oklahoma County

That is a great area and neighborhood.

There are always questions about Post Office boundaries, school boundaries and city (jurisdiction) boundaries. It takes a little effort to sort things out at times. More things to consider are the other services... fire, polices, public works (water!). Servicing agencies and response times differ.

Thread Information