|
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grace2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	1510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grace3.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	1511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grace4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	1512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grace5.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	1513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grace6.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	1514  
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

I'm going to miss all of those dust-bunny laden animals all over the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
    supposedly be torn down to make way for some surface parking. Rumor is that Irvin Box has purchased the property (529 West Main, directly south of the Civic Center) and this is the plan.

I know this isn't a historic building of any sort (well it is old) but based on previous threads discussions, I'd like to know how the opinions range on this action, if indeed it is the plan. (I believe the source of my rumor).
    The person who you heard the rumor from is wrong. Irvin Box did not buy this property, and surface parking is not the plan.

Bummer, we have enough surface parking. The Grace building isn't great, but it would be a nice building if remodeled and probably wouldn't take too much effort. I personally like the building. Definitely adds to the charm of that area.

Precisely what the area needs... a sea of surface parking!

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    IMO it looks a little run down. No loss there.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    IMO it looks a little run down. No loss there.
    Sure it needs a little freshening up, and isn't particularly iconic, but they don't make them like this anymore. It's serviceable and we already have enough vacant lots.

9. Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

Don't count on this being such an easy thing to pull off. It still needs to go through Downtown Design Review Committee, which is tasked with ...

OH NEVER MIND.

10. Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

Good point, Steve. We need a strong showing TODAY at 1.30 dealing with SandRidge, because we'll probably lose, but hopefully we can send a strong message to the city that future demolitions will not be just accepted. This is so stupid..

12. Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

Our Downtown Design Review Committee will probably let this slide by too. And who the heck said this building looked run down? What the ****? No it isn't. That had better been a joke. Any structure that is converted into open-paved parking is a loss. There's always a better use for the site then a parking lot.

I think it'd make a nice little cafe or something.

14. Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

How many buildings are we trying to demo right now...4 currently? Not to mention in the past what the Brewers, Community Foundation, and others have done with little advance warning..

I think Sandridge is 4 plus 2 parking structures? (haven't confirmed the 2 parking structures part), Red Cross building was just demo'd, building behind OKC Community Foundation, and now Grace?

What a dump !!

17. Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I think Sandridge is 4 plus 2 parking structures? (haven't confirmed the 2 parking structures part), Red Cross building was just demo'd, building behind OKC Community Foundation, and now Grace?
    There's also a really cool building on Classen in the Asian District that will probably be replaced with one of those strip mall things. I guess the old Steffens ice creamery bldg in Bricktown is safe for now.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    This could make a great little market, butcher, grocery, neighborhood bar, gallery, etcet.

I own a little building like this one that is in really bad shape. This one looks to be pretty intact. No more surface parking! I know they have a parking problem during major events, but no land should be worth more as surface parking than being a functional structure.

With the streetcar on its way, I think it will be hard argument to tear down more stuff for parking until downtown is at full capacity for the existing peak demand.

19. Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

And if there is such a need for parking so that buildings are being destroyed for paved parking, I find it much more appropriate to just select one of our many paved parking lots and build a parking garage. The thinking of so many of the people in our downtown area just isn't appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    And if there is such a need for parking so that buildings are being destroyed for paved parking, I find it much more appropriate to just select one of our many paved parking lots and build a parking garage. The thinking of so many of the people in our downtown area just isn't appropriate.
    I could not agree more. Why do we need so many ugly paved open lots when one garage could take the place of several lots?
    Even Walmart plants a few scrubby trees in their hideous lots. These small ones have a chain link fence and nothing more, for the most part.

It would be nice if downtown Okc zoning and planning were to put a moratorium on surface parking lots.

I would rather see a vacant lot then more surface parking. At least that way there would be more incentive to either build a structure or sell.

Once there is a paved surface parking, we rarely see them disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
    I know this isn't a historic building of any sort (well it is old) but based on previous threads discussions, I'd like to know how the opinions range on this action, if indeed it is the plan. (I believe the source of my rumor).
    The neon sign should be saved at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus View Post
    What a dump !!
    That dump does has done my laundry for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    The neon sign should be saved at least!
    Agreed. That is a killer sign. There are plenty others that should be saved too!

25. Default Re: Grace Cleaners to close and...

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    It would be nice if downtown Okc zoning and planning were to put a moratorium on surface parking lots.
    That wouldn't change anything. City ordinances are almost never followed when it comes to downtown development and the planning establishment is the laughing stock of downtown..

Thread Information