Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Sims BBQ

Default Billy Sims BBQ

Billy Sims BBQ is a frequent target for bashing here but it seems to be very successful anyway.

http://newsok.com/billy-sims-bbq-fra...rticle/5376926

Franchising of Billy Sims BBQ picks up speed with 44 locations

Though the restaurant chain is celebrating its first decade, Jackson said the 11th year will be the one it shifts into high gear. Jackson and Sims plan to spread the word to potential franchisees that they’re looking to grow, and the goal is to add 20 to 30 new Billy Sims BBQ each year.

As for the chain as a whole, Jackson said they're eying the entire nation, even in areas where people don't remember Sims from his days at OU and the Detroit Lions.

2. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

I hear about the Dallas based Dickie's BBQ opening all across the nation regularly despite a well known Texas BBQ critic referring to them as a "Black mold on BBQ spreading from Texas.".

Unfortunately it doesn't take stellar food to be successful in the restaurant business..... Plenty of BBQ chains in Oklahoma City that get by serving mass produced food cooked in a gas oven..... Ok, a gas assisted smoker, but when you set it and forget it overnight it's basically baking in my opinion.

Even last night I was served a steak at Texas Roadkill that was ordered medium but was served well done, medium well, medium, medium rare, rare..... While I was disappointed in all but the part of the steak that was actually cooked medium. I was impressed that they have a grill chef that can cover the entire spectrum of doneness on one piece of meat.... Yet this place is always packed.... I don't get it.

3. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Hey, I'll promise there are a dozen cars in the drive-thru at the nearest McDonald's right now, too.

Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

I wish Corky's BBQ out of Memphis would expand into Oklahoma. I think it's pretty good.

5. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

I like Central better. Memphis BBQ is too rub-focused for me though.

Someone in my family said that Billy Sims must be good because of all the Cox trucks in the parking lot at lunch......... Correlation != Causation,

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I hear about the Dallas based Dickie's BBQ opening all across the nation regularly despite a well known Texas BBQ critic referring to them as a "Black mold on BBQ spreading from Texas.".
    Dickie's has the distinction of being the worst BBQ I've had in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Dickie's has the distinction of being the worst BBQ I've had in OKC.
    No argument. When I went in Norman it was not gross, but it wasn't anything that made me want to plan a return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I wish Corky's BBQ out of Memphis would expand into Oklahoma. I think it's pretty good.
    Bchris,
    I have been to a lot of places and eaten some pretty good barbecue, and Corky's is one of my favorites.
    C. T.

Unfortunately it doesn't take stellar food to be successful in the restaurant business..... Plenty of BBQ chains in Oklahoma City that get by serving mass produced food cooked in a gas oven..... Ok, a gas assisted smoker, but when you set it and forget it overnight it's basically baking in my opinion.

Even last night I was served a steak at Texas Roadkill that was ordered medium but was served well done, medium well, medium, medium rare, rare..... While I was disappointed in all but the part of the steak that was actually cooked medium. I was impressed that they have a grill chef that can cover the entire spectrum of doneness on one piece of meat.... Yet this place is always packed.... I don't get it.
    Where is good BBQ in OKC? Having lived here for a while now I haven't even been sorta impressed with anything. We're not even playing the same game compared to Austin, KC, Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Where is good BBQ in OKC? Having lived here for a while now I haven't even been sorta impressed with anything. We're not even playing the same game compared to Austin, KC, Charlotte.
    I like Rays BBQ in Norman.

http://www.okctalk.com/general-food-...okc-metro.html

Here is whole thread of opinions on best.

13. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Well good is subjective.... I think good BBQ can be found in OKC. A lot has to do on timing though because of the Oklahoma City business model. Most places I frequent in OKC are good to meh depending on the time and day.

If you have hit any of the best in Austin.... Good is not nearly a strong enough adjective to describe the beef they serve down there. I had light shining down on me from heaven both times I ate at Snow's in Lexington Texas..... With that said.... There's plenty of the same mediocre BBQ you find in Oklahoma City in Texas. In fact I would say the majority of Texas Q-raunts are serving the same mediocre Q we have here but pretty much anything that makes the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list is exceptional Q.

I have made multiple 6 hour drives down there just to eat brisket and beef ribs. Could I name a single place in Oklahoma City I would drive 6 hours to eat BBQ at? Nope.... Honestly could not recommend a place I would drive an hour to eat Q in OKC. Most of what we have here is good if you're in the neighborhood but not good enough to go out of your way for.

... I have made multiple 6 hour drives down there just to eat brisket and beef ribs. Could I name a single place in Oklahoma City I would drive 6 hours to eat BBQ at? Nope.... Honestly could not recommend a place I would drive an hour to eat Q in OKC. Most of what we have here is good if you're in the neighborhood but not good enough to go out of your way for.
    Good if you are in the neighborhood is pretty much my rating for Billy Sims, though there one thing for them that several others kinda fall down on is getting a decent balance of price, quality and service. They are pretty much aiming at Fast Casual and delivering. There are several other places around here that charge and style them-self as Casual Dinning but then serve worse quality at a higher price (with a tip expected on top of that) and in more than a few cases the service is not really adding much value.

Tried Billy Simms over the weekend. Was pretty disappointed. Portions sucked, the food was dry. And the lack of sides. (French fries helloooo?). Sticking with earls as I like their hot links and Balogna, but not a huge fan of earls ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    I like Rays BBQ in Norman.
    Rays gets my vote too!

I don't hear anyone local raving over Sim's, and I haven't tried it myself. For local norman/noble Q, I rotate among
    Big Daddys Smokehouse in Noble and Ray's, Sooner Legends, Van's here in Norman.

It's been quite a while since I've gone elsewhere.

Well good is subjective.... I think good BBQ can be found in OKC. A lot has to do on timing though because of the Oklahoma City business model. Most places I frequent in OKC are good to meh depending on the time and day.

If you have hit any of the best in Austin.... Good is not nearly a strong enough adjective to describe the beef they serve down there. I had light shining down on me from heaven both times I ate at Snow's in Lexington Texas..... With that said.... There's plenty of the same mediocre BBQ you find in Oklahoma City in Texas. In fact I would say the majority of Texas Q-raunts are serving the same mediocre Q we have here but pretty much anything that makes the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list is exceptional Q.

I have made multiple 6 hour drives down there just to eat brisket and beef ribs. Could I name a single place in Oklahoma City I would drive 6 hours to eat BBQ at? Nope.... Honestly could not recommend a place I would drive an hour to eat Q in OKC. Most of what we have here is good if you're in the neighborhood but not good enough to go out of your way for.
    I waited four hours for franklins and it was worth every second. The salt lick was fantastic, the meat wasn't as good (although still great) but the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I'd second that. I love Corky's.

Corky's pork is good. I still shudder to eat brisket north of the Red River.

I actually had Billy Sims last night, and its perfectly adequate when we want BBQ for dinner. I live within walking distance of the location on 23rd, and it's always clean, the staff is pleasant, and I get exactly what I expect.

21. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    Corky's pork is good. I still shudder to eat brisket north of the Red River.
    Amen..... For that matter with the exception of a couple of joints in DFW I haven't found much north of Austin worth eating.

Imo Bad Brads is the best bbq in the metro.

23. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Imo Bad Brads is the best bbq in the metro.
    How many places have you been in the metro?

Billy Simms is alright. It beats the heck out of a McRib and is head and shoulders better than Arby-Q. It's all about where you set the bar when entering the joint.

25. Default Re: Billy Sims BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Billy Simms is alright. It beats the heck out of a McRib and is head and shoulders better than Arby-Q. It's all about where you set the bar when entering the joint.
    HAHA!!! You didn't set it very high comparing it to Fast Food Q.

I put Billy Sims as the second best chain option in OKC.

Thread Information