Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walgreens

Default Walgreens

Just opened this weekend at Sunset & Vine, a 24,000 sq. ft. higher-end concept including a frozen yogurt station, a fresh sushi bar, a coffee and espresso bar, a juice and smoothie bar (!), a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine that dispenses over 130 varieties of fountain drinks and yes, a wine and spirits shop with a snazzy cigar humidor, 700 fine wines and a virtual bartender kiosk.

Default Re: Walgreens goes fancy for Hollywood Store

That's not my corner Walgreens... looks pretty nice.

If and when we ever get a downtown Walgreens or CVS, perhaps they will incorporate some of these more up-scale features.

My neighborhood is a few rungs down the economic ladder from Hollywood

That area of Hollywood is pretty run-down but making a comeback.

But it's very dense and there is a subway station adjacent.

Default Walgreens Refusal to Fill Certain Prescriptions

Today I dropped off a prescription at my regular Walgreens that I've used for nearly 10 years. A few minutes after I got home I received a call from the pharmacy stating that they wouldn't fill the prescription because the drug being prescribed "isn't within your doctor's scope of practice". My first question was to ask them why they filled it last month. The answer was that "we didn't catch it until now". I was so floored that I just hung up before saying anything I might later regret. Next I put in a call to my doctor's office but it was their lunch hour and so I haven't yet heard back from them.

In the meantime, reeling and very angry, I decided to Google this issue to see if it's happened before. To my surprise, I found the following:

http://www.wthr.com/story/23469086/2...-on-pain-pills

I pulled up the "National Target Drug Good Faith Dispensing Checklist" link from that article and went through it. In my personal situation, every single question was a clear "yes" answer, meaning nothing to indicate a problem. Plus, my prescription isn't even for pain pills. It would fall under the "other" category. Oh, and by the way, my doctor is very much within the scope of his practice to prescribe to me the drug in question. This is complete and utter invasion of privacy! Why should I or my doctor have to explain to them what he's treating me for, and how it relates to his practice? Again, the only thing I did was present a legitimate prescription for a controlled substance. No red flags were present according to their policy.

Has anyone else had this happen? I can't wait to hear what my doctor's office will have to say. This is an outrage.

Default Re: Walgreens Refusal to Fill Certain Prescriptions

Very interesting.

Obviously, there is an increased scrutiny on prescription drug abuse and the doctors who are too eager to participate.

Will be very interested to see what you learn as you step through the process.

I suspect some sort of error was made along the way and something got inappropriately flagged.

It's interesting that you brought this up right now. My wife, who is a former pharmacy technician, was sharing with me the other day that Oklahoma is also cracking down on pain medication abuse. There have been some recent high profile news articles about drug shopping and other forms of abuse. Here's a link to an article about the local crackdown. This may be why you are noticing the change right now. Officials change the rules for prescription pain killers | KFOR.com

Quote Originally Posted by rlewis View Post
    It's interesting that you brought this up right now. My wife, who is a former pharmacy technician, was sharing with me the other day that Oklahoma is also cracking down on pain medication abuse. There have been some recent high profile news articles about drug shopping and other forms of abuse. Here's a link to an article about the local crackdown. This may be why you are noticing the change right now. Officials change the rules for prescription pain killers | KFOR.com
    Yes, and thank you for the link. While I understand the desire of some entities to crack down on painkiller abuse, my primary issue with this is that what I was prescribed IS NOT A PAINKILLER. Has nothing to do with pain. It falls in the "other (optional)" category on their list of what to even look at. And I haven't had any painkiller prescriptions filled in maybe 15 years, if that. I tolerate pain well, so generally when I'm given a scrip for something like that I'll just throw it away.

The problem is that Walgreens shouldn't have flagged me at all under their system. All they had to do was look at my Rx history and they'd see a very short list of any types of medications prescribed to me over the years. At the very least they could've followed their own policy and called the physician if they had any question about a nexus between the type of medicine he practices and the drug he prescribed for me. It's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Yes, and thank you for the link. While I understand the desire of some entities to crack down on painkiller abuse, my primary issue with this is that what I was prescribed IS NOT A PAINKILLER. Has nothing to do with pain. It falls in the "other (optional)" category on their list of what to even look at. And I haven't had any painkiller prescriptions filled in maybe 15 years, if that. I tolerate pain well, so generally when I'm given a scrip for something like that I'll just throw it away.

The problem is that Walgreens shouldn't have flagged me at all under their system. All they had to do was look at my Rx history and they'd see a very short list of any types of medications prescribed to me over the years. At the very least they could've followed their own policy and called the physician if they had any question about a nexus between the type of medicine he practices and the drug he prescribed for me. It's a no-brainer.
    Could be a new Pharmacy Tech or something, too. Have you actually gone to the Walgreens location and asked to speak to the pharmacy manager? If you're nice and explain it without alarm and as simply you have here, maybe the manager can see what's going on and put some new eyes on the case.

11. Default Re: Walgreens Refusal to Fill Certain Prescriptions

It could also be that they have a new corporate mandate to pay more attention to this sort of thing. I'd agree with Zookeeper, if you speak to the PHARMACY manager (not the store one), and explain the situation, it will probably help. Just be prepared to have a regular discussion about each filling if they don't pass the word on to the next tech.

I battled Walgreens for years on flu shots through my insurance company and the folks at 15th/Air Depot in MWC (the same tech and pharmacist each time) were unhelpful, rather rude, and just flat out didn't know what they were doing. Once CVS came on the list, I went across the street and had it done in 5 minutes with a smiling staff. It appeared Walgreens was understaffed for the workload, while CVS was properly staffed to be able to assist and fill at the same time. So for Walgreens, it may be an easy way to be able to push it off and not have to fill it...who knows.

For all those reasons and more, I go to a local pharmacy for 99% of my stuff. Community folks I've known for my whole life, go to church with, etc. SOOO Much easier and they actually work with you to make sure you get the right thing for a cheap price.

You should take your business elsewhere. Why go through the hassle of pleading for something that you are entitled to receive? There are many other pharmacies that would appreciate your business.

Yes, I do intend to visit the pharmacy today to discuss the situation with the pharmacy manager. I was waiting to find out what had transpired between Walgreens and my doctor's office. As it turns out, the nurse did get a call from Walgreens yesterday. The nurse said the caller was extremely snippy and accusatory with her (just as she had been with me). The nurse said she explained that the doctor's practice was a wellness practice, and not limited to his particular specialty. She explained that they focus on the whole body, listing the various things they treat, which would clearly include the condition the medication had been prescribed for. The response from the Walgreens person to the nurse was "But the doctor is a [naming his specialty]." In other words, even after being briefed on the situation by the nurse, this lady just didn't want to hear it. I can imagine she's a heck of a pleasant person to be around in general.

I just hope the person who called both me and the doctor isn't the pharmacy manager. I wish I'd remembered her name from yesterday, but it was one of those situations where I was so stunned that I didn't think about it until later. After I talk to them I will report back on what transpired.

And yes, I will definitely consider taking my business elsewhere. It's such a shame, though, because this Walgreens is literally only a few blocks from our house. But I think it'd be better to drive a little further than to have to endure being made to feel like I've done something wrong.

Update: It WAS the pharmacy manager who instigated all of this! Wow, this situation is truly insane. I went into the store with a smile on my face, was very calm and collected and made every attempt to be respectful and civil. Nevertheless, the pharmacy manager's hard-line position was, literally, "Your physician isn't authorized to prescribe [this drug]. It's not within his scope of practice. He's a [naming his specialty]. He can't prescribe [that drug] to you." Just as the nurse had done, I explained this firm's various areas of practice, what they treat, how they treat, etc. I then provided her with an explanation about a connection with what this doctor treats and the particular medication he had prescribed. It's very logical and straightforward. No matter. She was like a robot. Once again she said he "shouldn't be prescribing [this drug]."

In the end, I reminded her that yes, in fact, he has a DEA number and is very much authorized to prescribe a controlled substance, including this drug. She disagreed with me again. I then asked her if she felt his firm was practicing quackery and whether or not I should give them a heads-up that she was going to report them to the medical board. She said the conversation was over and I asked for my prescription back. She gave it to me. The end.

We will be pulling our prescriptions out of Walgreens first thing in the morning.

Sounds like the witches have come out early for Halloween. I would definitely take my business somewhere else.

Update: It WAS the pharmacy manager who instigated all of this! Wow, this situation is truly insane. I went into the store with a smile on my face, was very calm and collected and made every attempt to be respectful and civil. Nevertheless, the pharmacy manager's hard-line position was, literally, "Your physician isn't authorized to prescribe [this drug]. It's not within his scope of practice. He's a [naming his specialty]. He can't prescribe [that drug] to you." Just as the nurse had done, I explained this firm's various areas of practice, what they treat, how they treat, etc. I then provided her with an explanation about a connection with what this doctor treats and the particular medication he had prescribed. It's very logical and straightforward. No matter. She was like a robot. Once again she said he "shouldn't be prescribing [this drug]."

In the end, I reminded her that yes, in fact, he has a DEA number and is very much authorized to prescribe a controlled substance, including this drug. She disagreed with me again. I then asked her if she felt his firm was practicing quackery and whether or not I should give them a heads-up that she was going to report them to the medical board. She said the conversation was over and I asked for my prescription back. She gave it to me. The end.

We will be pulling our prescriptions out of Walgreens first thing in the morning.
    Absolutely. I wouldn't keep any prescriptions there. For what it's worth (and I have no idea where you live) the Homeland Pharmacy at May & Britton is excellent. They always go out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. They also price match any other pharmacy in the metro. It's almost legend now for anybody who uses that pharmacy but three of the four pharmacists have worked together, since it was a Skaggs Alpha-Beta across the street in the '80's! Tech's don't come and go, they know us by name, and it makes a big difference. It's funny how things like that may not mean much, and it gets taken for granted - until you run into something like you have with a nationwide chain.

Well, Mel, Halloween IS our favorite holiday, but this is one witch we can live without! That is, unless she wants to come hang on the fence with the rest of our ghouls and goblins and pretend to be stuffed. Hell, she could help pass out candy. Our neighborhood is trick-or-treat central. Oh, but passing out candy wouldn't be within the "scope of her practice", now would it?

Zoo, we don't live real close to the Britton/May area, but I pass that way taking my kiddo to and from school every day. That might be a good option for us. They have a drive-through, don't they?

Well, Mel, Halloween IS our favorite holiday, but this is one witch we can live without! That is, unless she wants to come hang on the fence with the rest of our ghouls and goblins and pretend to be stuffed. Hell, she could help pass out candy. Our neighborhood is trick-or-treat central. Oh, but passing out candy wouldn't be within the "scope of her practice", now would it?

Zoo, we don't live real close to the Britton/May area, but I pass that way taking my kiddo to and from school every day. That might be a good option for us. They have a drive-through, don't they?
    Yes, they do. Good luck whatever you do - what a travesty.

You might do one more thing -- log into the Walgreen's web site and post a complaint to the home office. If it turns out that this is a new policy of the chain, the rest of us need to know about it -- and if it's not, the head office needs to take corrective action!

There are so many things it could be, maybe some new FDA or state board policy....or she just could be exercising some of her perceived "authority". Definitely run it up the ladder to see where the policy comes from.

Slightly OT, but when aren't I, I use the Sam's Pharmacy on SW 5th and they constantly putting up notices of upcoming changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Slightly OT, but when aren't I, I use the Sam's Pharmacy on SW 5th and they constantly putting up notices of upcoming changes.
    I have one problem with Sam's - some of their generic manufacturers are considered second-tier. I went through all this with a medication I took and learned more than I ever wanted to know about things like this. One of them is that you would be amazed how much a generic can differ from the patented, brand drug. And as is often the problem, many of these manufacturers just pay their fines rather than make real changes. For some drugs, it can actually be dangerous. Certain generics you should ALWAYS be told when a manufacturer has been changed for the pharmacy stock, and it can change several times in a year. But the bottom line is that WalMart and Sam's Club buys from manufacturers that others won't due to these quality control issues. The good news is that if you find a generic that works right for you, you can ask for that by name, by manufacturer at most pharmacies and they can special order and have it within 24-48 hours, no matter what's in their stock.

Sam's has always put a sticker on the bottle when they change supplier's. At least the one I go to does. I have to buy generic whenever I can. With some folks it's bills or pills.

24. Default Re: Walgreens Refusal to Fill Certain Prescriptions

You need to complain to Walgreens corporate. She doesn't get to decide things like that, and chances are she'll be fired over that.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    You need to complain to Walgreens corporate. She doesn't get to decide things like that, and chances are she'll be fired over that.
    I will be complaining to anyone and everyone applicable. My doctor is also likely to get involved, as this is a direct dig on him and his partners (who, by the way, run a very upscale, very highly sought-after practice that is most definitely NOT in any way unethical or crooked). Probably nothing will come of it (I'm cynical and jaded about this type of thing), but at the very least she will have to explain herself to a few people. The entire conversation was recorded, too, so there's no way she can deny anything she said or try to claim that I was aggressive or irrational. Thankfully I thought ahead before I went into that situation yesterday.

Having said that, there is a much greater issue here than the inconvenience of not being served at this particular pharmacy by this particular woman. The concept that the government is allowed to intrude into the doctor/patient relationship to the extent that a random Walgreens employee has been empowered to make a judgment call that overrides the opinion and expertise of a licensed doctor is simply galling. Sickening. While I understand that there are people and groups who believe the best way to counter problem pill-takers is to regulate and monitor certain prescriptions, I believe we are seeing first-hand the unintended consequences of so doing. I do not purport to know the best way to fight addiction, but I know that what is happening to me, and to physicians, cannot be allowed to metastasize. This is frightening and a further violation of our personal liberties. I don't want to get into politics, but felt a need to explain more about why I'm so upset.

Thread Information