Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pop-up Shops

Midtown Pop-up Shops

They did this last year in the Myriad Gardens but with that space now actually being prepped for a restaurant, the location has moved to 9th street just east of St. Anthony on land owned by the Midtown Renaissance group (this is the lot directly south of Saturn Grill):

Steve's Article

The village will consist of a series of geodesic domes, one for each shop. With their new location, the Shops will add features for shoppers including a Christmas tree lot... will open Nov. 29 through Dec. 22

They have quite a lineup, with the stores changing every week:

OKC Popups

Default Re: Holiday Pop-up Shops

Hours:
    Thursday — Saturday
    11AM — 9PM

Sunday
    Noon — 6PM

Week 1 Nov 28th-Dec 2nd
    Heirloom Shoe
    Womens shoe store on Western Avenue in Oklahoma City. Covet worthy shoes from choice labels.

Unlabeled
    Made in the USA clothing, locally made jewelry, Oklahoma t-shirts and more.

Urbane
    Furniture, home accessories, gifts, barware, and more. Considered things for a considered lifestyle.

Sara Kate Studios
    Inspired by historical references and a love for living an eclectic life. Items for home, both vintage and new.

Pencil Shavings Studio
    Colorful and whimsical tech accessories, home decor, and paper goods.

Gretta Sloane
    A lifestyle boutique in Nichols Hills. We bring the best women's clothing and accessories from both coasts to the heart of Oklahoma.

The SNL Photobooth
    A super rad photo booth from the people at Todd Scott Ballje Photography.

Week 2 Dec 5th-Dec 8th
    Birdie
    Handcrafted florals for your home or just because.

Collected Thread
    a handmade boutique in OKC's Plaza District.

Green Bambino
    Oklahoma City’s natural parenting resource bringing organic gifts and toys.

Blue Seven
    Bringing a selection that includes: well designed jewelry, locally made Thunder gear, and make-your-own gift sets.

STASH
    Specializing in American-made, ethically produced wares, gifts, and art.

Native Roots Market
    Made in Oklahoma and artisan foods. From farmers, to a family grocer, to your table.

Plenty Mercantile
    Consciously and responsibly produced home goods and gifts from both local and abroad.

chirps & cheers
    Modern stationary, office accessories, and gifts.

Week 3 Dec 12th-Dec 15th
    A Date with Iris
    An eclectic floral studio specializing in unusual fresh cut flowers and gifts.

RetrOKC
    Specializing in mid-century, kitsch, vintage, atomic and retro decor for Oklahoma City.

Kokopelli
    A women's clothing boutique offering bohemian styles and well crafted accessories.

True North Living
    Offering a unique and lasting blend solid wood and upholstered furniture, all made in North America.

Always Greener
    A synthetic grass company offering custom, faux grass accessories and rugs.

OUI
    A small goods & design pop-up from some of the country's best independent designers, featuring OUI candles, home goods, fine jewelry, books, & more.

The Learning Tree Toys
    Books, gadgets, and games for children of all ages.

Week 4 December 19th-22nd
    Folk.Life
    A shop offering hand-made global art, pottery and adornments.

The Social Club
    A collection of treasures, new and old, to inspire everyday life.

Shop Good
    A clothing and accessories store making giving back a little simpler.

Eskimo Joe's
    Smilin' fun t-shirts from Stilwater's jumpin' little juke joint.

The MakeUp Bar
    A beauty and gift shop offering candles, make-up, and high quality skin care products.

Dutch Floral and Home
    A recently opened floral and home shop.

DryShop
    Their women's clothing boutique features clothing for all ages and styles.

Nice looking concept. A field full of bucky balls.

That's cool. The geodesic design evokes a 'Christmas tree decoration / snowball / igloo' type of feel. Quite appropriate to the season.

Not to mention that OKC has a certain well known geodesic dome that is being given new life right now. Nice tie in.

Blog Entries

The indication previously was that the pop-up shops were moved from the Myriad Gardens to Midtown, however, last night I saw several clear structures (not domes though) on the grand lawn at the MBG, with the grand lawn itself taped off and also a sign denoted the shops being there starting 21 November. So is it safe to say that pop-up shops this year will occur in both places and not in one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    The indication previously was that the pop-up shops were moved from the Myriad Gardens to Midtown, however, last night I saw several clear structures (not domes though) on the grand lawn at the MBG, with the grand lawn itself taped off and also a sign denoted the shops being there starting 21 November. So is it safe to say that pop-up shops this year will occur in both places and not in one or the other?
    Yeah, it seems whatever group organized the Holiday Pop-up Shops moved them to Midtown and now there is something called Winter Shops in the Myriad Gardens:

https://www.facebook.com/wintershopsokc?fref=ts

Blog Entries

Thanks for the clarification. As far as I'm concerned, I think it's great to have both...

HangryHippo Guest

The Myriad Gardens posted two job openings on Twitter today and one was for Events Coordinator and the other was a project manager or something like that. I wonder if all is not well at the Myriad Gardens and that's why things are moving around. This is the second time the events coord. position has been posted within roughly a year I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yeah, it seems whatever group organized the Holiday Pop-up Shops moved them to Midtown and now there is something called Winter Shops in the Myriad Gardens:

https://www.facebook.com/wintershopsokc?fref=ts

I heard some scuttle-butt about the Gardens leasing out the restaurant space, but then lifting the idea for the pop-up shops and doing their own marketing. It's not the only area in which I've heard grumbling about the way the Gardens are being operated. Not good Downtown neighbors, so-to-speak.

Blog Entries

More info (probably the same as the FB page though):

Winter Shops at the Myriad Gardens Opening Day! | Myriad Botanical Gardens

Pop-up Shop wars!!

Prodigal (Barons, Energy soccer team) are the ones behind the Myriad Gardens operation.

12. Default Re: Holiday Pop-up Shops

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I heard some scuttle-butt about the Gardens leasing out the restaurant space, but then lifting the idea for the pop-up shops and doing their own marketing. It's not the only area in which I've heard grumbling about the way the Gardens are being operated. Not good Downtown neighbors, so-to-speak.
    This is what I have heard as well. When the Gardens saw how successful the shops were last year, they decided to ditch their original operator (the person doing the shops in Midtown) do it themselves.

13. Default Re: Holiday Pop-up Shops

The person doing the shops in Midtown is Allison Bailey, one of the organizers of Better Block and probably the individual most connected to locally-owned retailers in OKC over the past few years. She has been heavily involved in the marketing and event planning for operators in places like Plaza District, 9th Street, Automobile Alley, etc. She's a very respected retail consultant. She is the one who organized the shops last year in the empty restaurant space in the gardens, an overwhelming success by all accounts. And yeah, there has been some behind-the-scenes, but I think the more the merrier. Let's bring holiday shopping back downtown where it belongs.

Hopefully there is room for both these operations, especially now that Midtown is coming into it's own.

BTW, I am VERY impressed with Downtown in December; in fact I'm impressed with all the great events coordinated by Downtown OKC Inc.

All the December stuff is pretty darn great and well-attended:

Downtown OKC - Downtown in December > Downtown in December 2013

BTW, Downtown OKC Inc. is helping sponsor the Holiday Pop-ups in Midtown but not the Winter Shops in the Myriad Gardens.

I think the geodesic domes look better. With the right led string lighting it will look festive.

Pop-up Shop wars!!

Prodigal (Barons, Energy soccer team) are the ones behind the Myriad Gardens operation.
    Please don't give TV show producers at A&E or TruTv any "bright" ideas lol

Second thought, it might be good for business, I dunno.

Winter Shops has a website:

WINTER SHOPS

Full Circle Books will be there, which is a great idea.

Also, they will have two clusters of shops; one on the great lawn and the other closer to the street crossing to Devon.

19. Default Re: Holiday Pop-up Shops

BTW, Downtown OKC Inc. is helping sponsor the Holiday Pop-ups in Midtown but not the Winter Shops in the Myriad Gardens.
    And actually, DOKC is also HOSTING a THIRD shopping event for two days (11/30, 12/1) at the Chevy Bricktown Event Center.

Downtown OKC - Downtown in December > Deluxe Winter Market

Forty (40!!) vendors including:

3 Dirty Dogs
    Base Vines and Cattle
    Bombs Away Art Co.
    Bowling Stones Mosaics
    Brad Humphreys
    California Jane
    Cerebellum
    Coast to Coast
    Darci Lenker
    Elemental Coffee
    Frameworthy Designs
    Fried Okra
    Go Ape! by Sue
    Goodies Unlimited Soaps
    Green Dog Design
    GRP FLY
    HOOKLINESINKER
    James Rogers Glassworks
    Josh DeLozier Photography
    Kahoy Studios
    Keep It Local OK
    Luksi Creations
    LuX Body Shop
    marekalaine
    Microcosm Publishing
    Morian Art
    Mother Road Merchandise & Art Co.
    OK Screen Printing
    Organic Gardens
    Pink Acorn Designs
    promiseArt
    Samantha Lamb Photography
    send amybell over
    Sewing With Squeak
    ShannaRama Pottery
    Shannon Hucks
    Shop Good
    Sylva Pagana
    Tail Feathers Diapers
    Tamara Jones
    The Little Bubble
    The Okay See
    The Woods Shop
    This Land Press
    Tisa's Creations
    Towhead Products, LLC
    Undeveloped Area Farms
    Urbanology
    VANDROID
    VintageIce
    Wooden Leg Named Smith

When we lived in Stuttgart, the Weinachtsmarkt (Christmas market, more or less) was the BEST part of living there. We'd take the train downtown, shop in the big square, stroll all of the walking streets, drink gluhwein ... it was awesome (ahd the thing I miss most about Stuttgart). The crowds would eventually do me in, but it was always worth it to walk around drinking gluhwein while huge wet snowflakes were falling. I go to these pop-up shops to get that memory back. Sure, it's not quite the same, but it triggers the memory well.

It's not quite the same ... yet!

21. Default Re: Holiday Pop-up Shops

It's all heavily inspired by the Winter Village shops at Bryant Park in NYC: Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park | Overview

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It's all heavily inspired by the Winter Village shops at Bryant Park in NYC: Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park | Overview
    Neato!

Actually though, I'm sure they're drawing inspiration from several sources. Especially Europe, as other have mentioned. Winter markets are particulary big in the Teutonic regions -- Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Alsace.

The Winter Shops in the Myriad Gardens are shaping up (photos courtesy MG Facebook Page):

Wow! The coloration in those trees. Whoah!

I also can't help thinking about how great the views are going to be from the upper floors of the Hotel Black. That's going to be just a great vantage point for looking over the Gardens and at events like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Wow! The coloration in those trees. Whoah!

I also can't help thinking about how great the views are going to be from the upper floors of the Hotel Black. That's going to be just a great vantage point for looking over the Gardens and at events like this.
    I have a SE corner office on the seventh floor of the Hotel Black. It is great at Christmas when all the lights are on the trees in the Gardens

Thread Information