Yelp
    Urban Spoon

Information & Latest News

Reopened July 4, 2015
    Gallery

Default Re: The Haunted House

Maybe it is the laurels . . .
    You know, the resting on them.

(I read exactly the same reviews and many other similar ones. Sort of sad.)

I was so intrigued by the whole "Haunted House" mystique that one day my wife and I drove around until we found it.
    If the food lived up to the rest of the image, it would still be a really special place.
    (Much like the former County Line BBQ . . . or the former "Sleepy Hollow"...)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Maybe it is the laurels . . .
    You know, the resting on them.

(I read exactly the same reviews and many other similar ones. Sort of sad.)

I was so intrigued by the whole "Haunted House" mystique that one day my wife and I drove around until we found it.
    If the food lived up to the rest of the image, it would still be a really special place.
    (Much like the former County Line BBQ . . . or the former "Sleepy Hollow"...)
    That is really sad. . .wonder sometimes if it is an issue of our palates having been "educated" vice the quality of the food really going down.

That woman is such a weirdo, and the food is absurdly overpriced. That's the mystique.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    That woman is such a weirdo, and the food is absurdly overpriced. That's the mystique.
    In the "old days" (mid 60's) it was a one of the few public fine dining havens in OKC. . .sad to see it has come to this.

I think that the saddest of the former "fine dining havens" going by the wayside and through the door to the land of faded memories is The Keller in The Kastle. (or was that "Castle"?...as I said: "faded memories" . . .)

So for a Special Dinner alternative . . .
    Is Twelve Oaks (up on Midwest Blvd. just south of Waterloo Road) still any good?
    That German place, over by Moore, (Royal Bavarian?) was always decent . . .

Northeast OKC Haunted House

At the end of a long, winding road somewhere in NE Oklahoma City, my wife and I ate a very nice dinner at a place called the Haunted Mansion restaurant. It was a beautiful old house converted for foodservice with a wonderful backstory that gave the place its ambiance. That was about 15 years ago, if not more.

Is it still around?
    Last edited by Pete; 02-13-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Default Re: Haunted Mansion restaurant?

i think you mean haunted house. it's on miramar which is just east of 63rd & eastern on i-44 service road. -M

http://www.hauntedhouserestaurant.com/

Absolutely, mmm, Haunted House. Sorry. Blame it on Disney

Delighted to hear its still going! Thanks.

It's still very good. Something about the older places like Haunted House and Cattlemans that have the charm I like in a steak house.

cue the Cattlemen haters in 3, 2, 1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i think you mean haunted house. it's on miramar which is just east of 63rd & eastern on i-44 service road. -M

http://www.hauntedhouserestaurant.com/
    Looks like a nice place, not sure I could afford it.

I've never eaten at The Haunted House Restaurant. However, I was so curious and intrigued about the place that one day my wife and I drove around until we found it (it was in the afternoon and the place was closed). And even if it was open we didn't have reservations.

Actually, I do have "reservations" about the place based on just about every online review I've read. It isn't so much that the prices are out of line . . . But, apparently, over the years, a "cost/value" deficit regarding the amount and quality of the food has developed. Or maybe peoples' fine dining expectations have matured.

I think folks' fine dining expectations have matured. Basically, it is a great atmosphere, very intimate. The place is literally an old house, not built to be a restaurant at all. I don't think the menu has changed much in 20-30 years though, or if it has, I'd be surprised. It's an old classic in a world where for the fine dining experience, even we in OKC are starting to expect expensive meals to be inventive and different.

I think what they do, they do well. For the price point though, I'm headed somewhere I can try something more interesting than the steak/potatoes meal you expect at the Haunted House.

Default Re: Haunted House Restaurant

Haven't eaten there in a long time...but did have a couple of "special occasion" meals there in my late childhood, as well as one memorable prom night dinner. I remember it as a really special, unique place. I thought it was extraordinary. As my palate has matured, I suspect I would now consider it good, but it's really more the ambiance than the meal. As OKC's dining options have grown, there are surely more inventive menus out there, but I do think these kinds of places (and there are precious few left) are treasures that should be experienced. I hope OKC never loses the Haunted House.

I am curious what their prices are.
    Anyone remember what they paid eating there?

As I said, I haven't eaten there, but I've done a certain amount of research.
    It seems as if the prices are comparable to dining at The Deep Fork. Maybe just a little less.
    But the Deep Fork doesn't serve Minnesota Wild Rice with their Salmon.

(BTW: Just so you know, I too, appreciate the fact that this place has lasted so long. No matter what "online reviewers d' cuisine" might say. Someday I hope to validate that appreciation by actually eating there. One thing for sure: It is at least equal to the fare provided by a food truck. Not that there is anything wrong with food trucks. To think that would be a bit snobbish. Wouldn't it?)

I suppose I should mention that I have eaten at the HH about ten-fifteen times and all but one time was exceptional. It has been a few years but their prices are right up there with what is to be expected at a "fine dining" place like HH. The only bad experience was when my slow mother took a while to finish her salad and they brought the steaks out too soon. They took them right back but instead of doing it right, they put them back on heat and my mother's rare was medium and my wife and I had well-well done instead of medium rate. A first rate place should have started over with fresh steak. But, one bad experience is not too bad and if my wife (or mother) were still alive, I would go back.
    C. T.

19. Default Re: Haunted House Restaurant

Been there a couple of times. Once at my own choosing and 2-3 more times as a guest of others. I personally would never go back. Didn't find their food quality to match the prices or hype. But in that vein.... I would compare it to Cattleman's! (I took the bait Kevin) Much better options these days, but, like Cattleman's its a landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Been there a couple of times. Once at my own choosing and 2-3 more times as a guest of others. I personally would never go back. Didn't find their food quality to match the prices or hype. But in that vein.... I would compare it to Cattleman's! (I took the bait Kevin) Much better options these days, but, like Cattleman's its a landmark.
    Wow, that's surprising. Guess I'm the oddball, have never been impressed with Cattleman's. Not a hater, just had a couple of "meh" trips there. Used to be a birthday treat for my wife, but last couple of times we went even *she* didn't like it and we stopped going. Remember being very favorably impressed with HH, may take another run at Cattleman's for her next birthday.

22. Default Re: Haunted House Restaurant

Good picture of Marian in the link. The Thibaults did a major remodel of their home and one of the bar area of the restaurant around 20 to 25 years ago. I was the electrician on both. They were great to work for. They were picky but reasonable and fair when they made running changes. I remember eating and drinking well during the project.

The owner needs to change the restaurant name

Haunted House makes me think it is only open on Halloween....

MonkeesFan,
    Your probably right, that's why they have only been in business since the mid 60's.
    C. T.
    p.s. No offense, just struck me as funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    The owner needs to change the restaurant name

Haunted House makes me think it is only open on Halloween....

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    MonkeesFan,
    Your probably right, that's why they have only been in business since the mid 60's.
    C. T.
    p.s. No offense, just struck me as funny.
    Ahh, well, I have lived here for 30 years and I never heard of Haunted House Restaurant until now, now you can laugh

Thread Information