Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

Default Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

The word is out - confirmed by employees - that Crescent Market will be closing on November 1, 2011. Founded in 1889, this ends an uninterrupted 122-year run for this business.

Default Re: Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

Are plans to relocate completely dead now?

Any idea of why this is happening? CHK not renewing their lease? Worried that WF is going to kill their business?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    The word is out - confirmed by employees - that Crescent Market will be closing on November 1, 2011. Founded in 1889, this ends an uninterrupted 122-year run for this business.
    This is horrible and sad news.......
    Places like this are a dying breed while places like wal mart thrive.

Such a shame. I was so hoping they'd move their business near downtown. But, I also think competing with Whole Foods where they're currently located was not going to be a viable plan either.

Perhaps this will speed up the plans to remodel NH Plaza.

I drove by the other day and noticed that they've been working on the interior of the most southwest portion of the Plaza. The ceillings were taken out, leaving a vaulted space. Everything is open and painted white. There were no signs saying anything is "coming soon", so I was pretty mystified at to what is planned for that space.

I'm also wondering what is going to happen to the drugstore.

7. Default Re: Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    This is horrible and sad news.......
    Places like this are a dying breed while places like wal mart thrive.
    Whatever, more like Whole Foods and Sunflower. Everyone clamors for Whole Foods then decries the closure of Crescent.

And the homogenization of America continues...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Whatever, more like Whole Foods and Sunflower. Everyone clamors for Whole Foods then decries the closure of Crescent.
    Exactly. I fear that Foward Foods on Western will be next on the chopping block.

What a shame.

I'll admit that I haven't shopped there in years seeing as it's not near the area where I usually run my errands, but it is an Oklahoma institution. Sad to see it go.

It is sad but the place either had to relocate, completely remodel & update or do something to keep pace. That store had not changed in almost 50 years. Yes, that was part of it's charm but it's business had to have been dying long before WF & Sunflower came on the scene:

Yeah, I know. I didn't shop there, either, although my mother did back in the day. I agree, Pete, that it was probably drifting away even before Whole Foods. If they wanted to relocate, I expect they could relatively easily do it but maybe they just wanted to retire or something. Anyone know?

It could be the family has decided to get out the business before they fell into serious debt. Steve Buchanan did just that he sold the Buchanan's stores to Fleming. He new Walmart was opening supercenters and neighborhood markets everywhere. His profits were already razor thin and he knew he couldn't compete with Walmart. To survive in the grocery business these days you have to have the buying power to compete with Walmart or you have to be able to specialize in one area or another. Buy For Less has survived based on their ability to cater to the people who live in the immediate area around the stores. I know they have done fairly well on their bakery, deli, take out items and international groceries.

15. Default Re: Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

I talked to the owner, Robert Pemberton yesterday. Notice there is no story today. We also were being assured that OU and OSU had an open path into the Pac 12. Don't be so sure Crescent is history.....

Thank you Steve for a tease of "the rest of the story".

Steve will tell you that sources never lie to reporters.

Then why would the employees be spreading this around? If Robert is intending to keep the store open, then he's either lying to the employees or inviting them to be a part of a deceit - neither bodes well for the long-term survival of the business.

Steve Jobs was a master at building suspense towards a big announcement. Robert Pemberton ain't Steve Jobs.

We would particularly miss the meat counter. Hope there are plans for this landmark institution to remain in the community.

19. Default Re: Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Steve Jobs was a master at building suspense towards a big announcement. Robert Pemberton ain't Steve Jobs.
    Yep. Gotta agree with you there. I get the sense Pemberton isn't really sure himself what he's doing, and may just as easily change his mind next week (as he has throughout the year). Seriously, I really don't think he knows what he's going to do....

This just makes me want to cry. It was the only place in town I could get certain things like Orangina. I love their meat counter. Both my college aged sons would always make a point to go there on the rare occasions when they would come home. I didn't shop their as often as I would like since it's not exactly close to Edmond, but I always enjoyed going in there. I was there a few weeks ago and spent a couple hundred dollars.

21. Default Re: Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that you'll still be shopping at Crescent for years to come. This is a weird deal and I wish I could explain it better. I'm not being coy - it's just a weird deal.

My mom owned a salon on that side of Nichols Hills and she left a few years back due to a leasing disagreement with the new owner--Chesepeake. Is this maybe the reason why he's closing shop? Monthly rent to be too much so instead of staying he's retiring? Does he have someone he trusts to carry on the family business?

23. Default Re: Crescent Market Closing 11/1/2011

OKC, I think I interviewed your mom when that happened....

OKCisOK: I think I knew your mom. As I recall, she was on a month-to-month lease when her air conditioner gave out during the summer. CHK was busy moving everyone out of the Plaza at that time, and they weren't going to pay to repair equipment that was going to be scrapped, so they told her that she'd have to pay the repair costs or move out. She offered to pay the costs if they'd grant her an occupancy extension, but they said no. She chose to move out. Her space was one of those mentioned by Betts. I knew another tenant who was treated similarly and received regular "nastygrams" from CHK real estate people, but she hung in. When things changed and CHK decided NOT to tear down the building, suddenly the letters became much more conciliatory.

I do not have an historical appreciation for Crescent because I never lived close to it growing up. But from an outsider's perspective I have little reason to go there. My impression is an outdated, upscale grocery store for the super rich in Nichols Hills. That may be a an unfair portrayal, but it's the only association I have with the store. Perhaps a branding consultant could help them compete in this new market of upscale grocery.

Thread Information