Widgets Magazine

Thread: Question about mini bikes

Default Question about mini bikes

If the bike is under 35cc is it considered a toy? If so, can it be ridden in residential areas?

2. Default Re: Question about mini bikes

The way I understand it they can't be tagged and therefore can't legally be ridden on any street, residential or otherwise.

3. Default Re: Question about mini bikes

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    The way I understand it they can't be tagged and therefore can't legally be ridden on any street, residential or otherwise.
    That's my understanding too. However, it seems to come down to officer discretion and whether or not your neighbors complain.

In the Capitol Hill neighborhood area there are always lots of kids and adults with everything from three-wheelers to go carts to home made lawnmower engine putt-putt scooters. I've seen police pull over or otherwise detain people in the streets with them. However, they tend to leave them alone in the 'green space' areas as long as the motors/exhaust is not so loud people are complaining and no other people are trying to enjoy the park that you might be annoying.

But as a general rule (and the law), untagged motorized vehicles are not street legal and therefore must remain on private property.

That said, I've ridden a Polaris Ranger around my neighborhood and waved at a passing officer and he didn't seem to care either way.

Default Re: Question about mini bikes

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    That's my understanding too. However, it seems to come down to officer discretion and whether or not your neighbors complain.

In the Capitol Hill neighborhood area there are always lots of kids and adults with everything from three-wheelers to go carts to home made lawnmower engine putt-putt scooters. I've seen police pull over or otherwise detain people in the streets with them. However, they tend to leave them alone in the 'green space' areas as long as the motors/exhaust is not so loud people are complaining and no other people are trying to enjoy the park that you might be annoying.

But as a general rule (and the law), untagged motorized vehicles are not street legal and therefore must remain on private property.

That said, I've ridden a Polaris Ranger around my neighborhood and waved at a passing officer and he didn't seem to care either way.
    Wht do you mean by "green space"?

5. Default Re: Question about mini bikes

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyF View Post
    Wht do you mean by "green space"?
    More (or actually less) than just area parks - but undeveloped city owned property which usually only consists of mowed grass - hence the term 'green space.' Capitol Hill has lots of these areas because of the notorious flooding that goes on from lightning creek.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    In another phase of my life, I knew a fellow who owned a damaged vehicle, damaged to the point he could not longer tag it. About the third time a local leo cited him he made some off the cuff comment that the guy ought to just get a riding lawnmower as he would not need a tag for that. Well, the leo learned to never, ever, plant a seed of inspiration in the heart and soul of someone who could not afford a riding lawnmower. the chap got a small push mower, strapped it onto the bumper and continued to use his vehicle. Next time he was stopped, he was a bit furious, because after all, a riding mower did not need a tag. I happened to be in town the day he represented himself at a jury trial on the matter. All I will say about that is (a) I sometimes wish cameras were permitted in our courtrooms and (b) I have no doubt it would still get hits on youtube still today.

thanks for bringing back some interesting memories.

Kevin: Was "Lawnmower Man" named George Jones? (he was famous for his improvisational multi-tasking in this connection)

LOL. No RM. Just a somewhat entertaining character down in se part of the state. I met him on an unrelated matter but the mower incident became useful all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    LOL. No RM. Just a somewhat entertaining character down in se part of the state. I met him on an unrelated matter but the mower incident became useful all the same.
    So, I suppose that it is safe to assume that [George's] wife wasn't named "Tammy" then? =)

In reality, I have found that when generally annoying social disturbances interfere with MY comfort zone (e.g. noisy dirt bikes, and the occasional moped on the protected semi-historical, former dairy farm/wetland/etc. behind my house) a call to the non-emergency police line results in a quick and effective response by representatives of the local powers that be.

Even if, on one occasion, The Officer who responded confided that they/spec.ref.he had no "real" authority regarding the misuse of semi-public property but simply had to call the alleged offenders' bluff.

In order to avoid further trespassing on my comfort zone. =)

And that was OK with me. On account of I'm just a plain ol' RatShack/ShantyIrish sorta dude.
    (who doesn't like excessive noise =)

Thread Information