Widgets Magazine

Thread: Man requests longer prison term...

1. Default Man requests longer prison term...

Only in Oklahoma City...

Man requests longer prison term to honor Larry Bird
    Posted: Thursday October 20, 2005 12:10PM; Updated: Thursday October 20, 2005 1:16PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

"He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey," Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. "We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it."

2. Default Re: Man requests longer prison term...

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid
    Only in Oklahoma City...

Man requests longer prison term to honor Larry Bird
    Posted: Thursday October 20, 2005 12:10PM; Updated: Thursday October 20, 2005 1:16PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

"He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey," Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. "We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it."
    What a mashugina. I'm glad Judge Elliot gave him what he wanted.

Default Re: Man requests longer prison term...

How stupid! The judge should have given him a life sentence for just being that way.
    When it rains it pours... but when the blessings come they overflow!

4. Default Re: Man requests longer prison term...

Quote Originally Posted by okcgoddess
    How stupid! The judge should have given him a life sentence for just being that way.
    Unfortunatly, stupidity is not a crime. If it was, 99% of the population of this country would be doing life in the joint. He got what he deserved.

Default Re: Man requests longer prison term...

I already have a post for this in the news thread. Mods should we merge the two?

Thread Information