Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

Default MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

Just my opinion - but from what the preview shows on the new MTV series "Skins" it seems like a very, very irresponsible show for consumption for viewers. I could post the You Tube preview clip but it would probably be pulled by OKC Talk...yes its that bad.

Default Re: MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Just my opinion - but from what the preview shows on the new MTV series "Skins" it seems like a very, very irresponsible show for consumption for viewers. I could post the You Tube preview clip but it would probably be pulled by OKC Talk...yes its that bad.
    A watered down re-make of a really good BBC show. And, yes, even watered down it's probably too shocking for OK audiences. You ever see the documentary, "Kids" from the mid-90s? Every parent who thinks, "Not MY darling child!" should see the film, "Kids", and the BBC version of "Skins".

Open your eyes, parents. Yes, your darling children.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    A watered down re-make of a really good BBC show. And, yes, even watered down it's probably too shocking for OK audiences. You ever see the documentary, "Kids" from the mid-90s? Every parent who thinks, "Not MY darling child!" should see the film, "Kids", and the BBC version of "Skins".

Open your eyes, parents. Yes, your darling children.
    I agree. I saw most of the BBC episodes and, even if much of it was daring for US tastes, it was fascinating. It is an eye opener and these aren't the 50's. The US version doesn't seem quite as well put together though.

hahaha, yeh, this news just in, American teenagers are rumored to have sex and abuse drugs/alcohol. The BBC series was quite good, and this show looks like a cheap, watered down knock off. However, the thing I may hate the most in our society is our knee jerk fake modesty. I mean come one, it was our 1950's/60's desire for pristine order and morality that all wound up with back alley abortions, witch hunts, and race riots. They will loose some advertisers, but they will also gain some too. Yadda yadda yadda, usual disclaimer, if you don't like it, don't watch it don't let your kids watch it etc.. Some of us aren't christians with children and we don't care about someones supposed wholesome sense of decency. I am thankful to MTV, if they aren't going to play any music videos at least they are still producing controversial tv, even if it is a remake of an even more controversial show that ran for numerous seasons on a government supported network in another country with little protest of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    hahaha, yeh, this news just in, American teenagers are rumored to have sex and abuse drugs/alcohol. The BBC series was quite good, and this show looks like a cheap, watered down knock off. However, the thing I may hate the most in our society is our knee jerk fake modesty. I mean come one, it was our 1950's/60's desire for pristine order and morality that all wound up with back alley abortions, witch hunts, and race riots. They will loose some advertisers, but they will also gain some too. Yadda yadda yadda, usual disclaimer, if you don't like it, don't watch it don't let your kids watch it etc.. Some of us aren't christians with children and we don't care about someones supposed wholesome sense of decency. I am thankful to MTV, if they aren't going to play any music videos at least they are still producing controversial tv, even if it is a remake of an even more controversial show that ran for numerous seasons on a government supported network in another country with little protest of any kind.
    In this situation, that's a good thing.

I would be fine with it if they cast 30 yr old actors like 90210 did instead of actual teens

Show is a goner now that advertisers are fleeing

The idea that people are entertained by under aged boys/girls engaging in drug and alcohol use and multiple sex partners is very telling about our culture. I've never understood the excuse, "well 'those' television shows are what's going on in our culture" is freaky. Just because it goes on - does that mean its entertaining? With the mind set of showing, for entertaining purposes, what's going on in our culture - why don't we see shows about abortion or capitol punishment taking place? Why don't we see the drug/alcohol abuser taking their last breath when their body can't handle another dose of drugs. Get a grip folks! The issue is NOT these things are taking place. The issue is why do we allow ourselves to be entertainted by them?

I'm the opposite--I think that the fact that people are so hypersensitive about the content of these TV shows is a telling reason as to why we have the societal problems that we do.

Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkTransplant View Post
    I'm the opposite--I think that the fact that people are so hypersensitive about the content of these TV shows is a telling reason as to why we have the societal problems that we do.
    Interesting. Are you saying the more we are entertained by adultery, drug use, sex, murder,etc. -then our culture improves? Tell me -what limits would you place on broadcast content - if any.

Interesting. Are you saying the more we are entertained by adultery, drug use, sex, murder,etc. -then our culture improves? Tell me -what limits would you place on broadcast content - if any.
    I would offer that he's saying that when a society buries its head in the sand because it doesn't want to face the issues presented, then, yeah, societal problems will multiply.

I'm a she, but yes, that's a good summary of my thoughts.

I watched the show, and actually see quite a bit of satire in it.

I would offer that he's saying that when a society buries its head in the sand because it doesn't want to face the issues presented, then, yeah, societal problems will multiply.
    Help me understand....so....when we are entertained by the things "society buried its head in the sand" over it makes us a better society?? If thats the case then perhaps we could have a lot of entertainment regarding how drunk drivers have destoryed many families and many lives!! Maybe we can be entertained by watching people being mamed physically and emotionally by sexual abuse! We might even find entertainment in how gangs can destory the lives of young people! Its worse than sad if you honestly think that all of the ills of society means placing it on television as entertainment....give me a break!

Help me understand....so....when we are entertained by the things "society buried its head in the sand" over it makes us a better society?? If thats the case then perhaps we could have a lot of entertainment regarding how drunk drivers have destoryed many families and many lives!! Maybe we can be entertained by watching people being mamed physically and emotionally by sexual abuse! We might even find entertainment in how gangs can destory the lives of young people! Its worse than sad if you honestly think that all of the ills of society means placing it on television as entertainment....give me a break!
    You're the one that keeps saying "entertainment". Substitute "Acknowledging these problems are out there" every place you say "entertainment" and I would say "yes" to all the above questions. Is that all you want from your TV, entertainment?

There hasn't been enough of the US version of the show to tell for sure how they will handle things but in the BBC version, even though they presented a wide variety of issues that today's youth are envolved in, they didn't hesitate to show that there are consequences to the actions. That can be entertaining with a message.

IMO--The fact that shows like this are even an option speaks volume about today's socitey, God help us !!

Here's a concept... change the channel if you don't like the show or get 24 hours a day Leave it to Beaver.

18. Default Re: MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

I doubt many people complaining here have actually watched the show (not that that will change your opinion, because I just watched it). There is episode one available online on MTV's website.

Personally, to me, its just bad TV. Its the same issues (teenage sex, drugs, bad decisions, etc.) that are in tons of other shows. If it was better acted and produced, I might watch it - but I found it boring and just low budget.

I've never found these types of programs harmful because I've never allowed them to influence our child. When our son was younger and living at home (he's 20 and moved out now) he wasn't allowed to have a TV in his room and the computer that accessed the Internet was in the living room. But, we also didn't raise him to think sitting in front of the TV or computer for hours was a normal thing. He never asked for a TV in his room because he rarely watched it.

I would rather there be tons of choices than to try and force a particular viewpoint upon everyone.

The exact same issues were highlighted in a special on CNN last night "Selling the girl next door." An hour of men buying 13-yr olds for sex. The end message was different, but the subject was the same.

19. Default Re: MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

For all you Skins bashers, They are discussing it on TODAY right now.

20. Default Re: MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

Whatever the topic, I am sick of reality TV.

You're the one that keeps saying "entertainment". Substitute "Acknowledging these problems are out there" every place you say "entertainment" and I would say "yes" to all the above questions. Is that all you want from your TV, entertainment?
    My question to you is --what purpose, do you suppose, MTV placed this show on in the first place? Educational to warn about the dangers teenages are placing themselves in? Or entertainment? We both know the answer don't we?

22. Default Re: MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

Last i time checked MTV wasn't in the education business. They learned long ago controversial TV equates to revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Last i time checked MTV wasn't in the education business. They learned long ago controversial TV equates to revenue.
    You are so right! It's always, always, always about the dollar. No dollar - no interest from TV execs....its that simple.

24. Default Re: MTV - "Skins". Bad....no...actually really bad!

More like ~ no dollar no TV station.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Whatever the topic, I am sick of reality TV.
    It is not reality. Skins is entirely scripted.

Thread Information