Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: Which NFL teams would you like to see play exhibition games in OKC area:

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dallas Cowboys

8 29.63%
  • Denver Broncos

2 7.41%
  • Minnesota Vikings

7 25.93%
  • St. Louis Rams

15 55.56%
  • None of the Above

6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

Blog Entries

Default NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

Next season 2012-13 would be the best time to attract some NFL exhibition games to the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area.

Which teams would you like to see play in the metropolitan area?

Default Re: NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

We need our own nfl team in okc.....

Sadly both are pipe dremas. The NFL will NEVER come to OKC as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    Sadly both are pipe dremas. The NFL will NEVER come to OKC as a team.
    Never is a very long time, Mustang. Never in our lifetime is a better way to put it.

That depends on how old most are on this forum :-)

I can see in my grandkids time an exhibition game but to hope this area could grow to the point of supporting an NFL team is a dream so big that to even promote it denigrates a persons credibility on other more legitimate pursuits.

7. Default Re: NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

Not sure why people are saying it is a pipe dream...I guess memory loss is abound. LOL

Norman has hosted 8 exhibition games so far, the most recent was in 1998 (52, 54, 58 through 61, and 76 are the other years). Stillwater hosted 1 in 76 and Tulsa had hosted 7 (53, 54, 50, 65, 66, 67, and 68).

The 1998 game was Tampa Bay vs Kansas City for those that remember.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Not sure why people are saying it is a pipe dream...I guess memory loss is abound. LOL

Norman has hosted 8 exhibition games so far, the most recent was in 1998 (52, 54, 58 through 61, and 76 are the other years). Stillwater hosted 1 in 76 and Tulsa had hosted 7 (53, 54, 50, 65, 66, 67, and 68).

The 1998 game was Tampa Bay vs Kansas City for those that remember.
    Venture, I remember past exhibition games here but that really wasn't the point. The discussion has been about if or when the OKC area could support a permanent team.

we won't be getting a NFL stadium because we don't have a NFL Stadium to host a team Norman will be good but its a college stadium not a NFL Stadium and it will be tough for them to change the logo and the everything in less then 12 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    we won't be getting a NFL stadium because we don't have a NFL Stadium to host a team Norman will be good but its a college stadium not a NFL Stadium and it will be tough for them to change the logo and the everything in less then 12 hours
    Could you clarify that a little? You've got about ten sentences all run together and I don't have a clue about what you mean.

11. Default Re: NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Venture, I remember past exhibition games here but that really wasn't the point. The discussion has been about if or when the OKC area could support a permanent team.
    I think you are confusing this thread with the other thread discussing the NFL in OKC (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26882), since this thread/poll has been about a future exhibition game.

I think you are confusing this thread with the other thread discussing the NFL in OKC (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26882), since this thread/poll has been about a future exhibition game.
    Venture, you're absolutely right. I did get them mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

13. Default Re: NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

OU should never again allow an NFL exhibition game -- even for the Rams. Why would OU want to possibly enable a probable dilution in future revenues of OU Sooner football? I am sure the competition of the Thunder has contributed to the attendance drops of the Sooner basketball teams.

14. Default Re: NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    OU should never again allow an NFL exhibition game -- even for the Rams. Why would OU want to possibly enable a probable dilution in future revenues of OU Sooner football? I am sure the competition of the Thunder has contributed to the attendance drops of the Sooner basketball teams.
    First, I'm hoping the post was made in jest.

Second, if not...WTF? lol I highly doubt any exhibition game will really impact any future revenues of OU football. Returning to the John Blake years, now that might take a toll on ticket sales. Also, it is ONE game...not an entire season. I guess I just don't see the common sense in your post...at all.

As far as the Thunder impacting the Sooner basketball attendance...their poor performance recently has that handled. Maybe if they start improving, sales will go up and people will start to fill half the seats.

15. Default Re: NFL Exhibitions games for Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium?

First, I'm hoping the post was made in jest.

Second, if not...WTF? lol I highly doubt any exhibition game will really impact any future revenues of OU football. Returning to the John Blake years, now that might take a toll on ticket sales. Also, it is ONE game...not an entire season. I guess I just don't see the common sense in your post...at all.

As far as the Thunder impacting the Sooner basketball attendance...their poor performance recently has that handled. Maybe if they start improving, sales will go up and people will start to fill half the seats.
    At second thought (after reading the many posts of OKC Talk believing that OKC has no chance to host an NFL team), I withdraw my objection for OU to host future NFL exhibition games. However, Sam Bradford won't play many minutes in any exhibition game, even if the Rams played in Norman.

You're right about team performance and attendance for OU basketball. I have only been to one women's bb game since the Paris twins left & haven't seen the men's team since Blake Griffin left. But the Thunder DOES lower interest in college basketball in the OKC/Norman/Stillwater market. (However I wouldn't ever want to lose our Thunder franchise.)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    The Thunder has nothing to do with poor recruiting/retention by Capel outside of Blake Griffin, he tended to get people who were overrated, were not willing/capable of staying in the program and lost a lot of the most talented players the previous coach had convinced to come. Did you try watching their games this year it was painful to see a game from start to finish. The women's side is still having record attendance. Given how secondary basketball has always been to football, having pro teams play the last several years seems to have increased intrest in basketball across the metro more than siphoned it. When you have a team going 13-18 one year and 14-18 the next, you should expect attendance to suffer.

Granted I see no way that a pro football team could increase peoples intrest in football in a similar way.

Thread Information