Widgets Magazine

Thread: SIAP- SE corner of Jenkins and Lindsey

Default SIAP- SE corner of Jenkins and Lindsey

I know that the area on the SE corner of Jenkins and Lindsey is almost completely vacant, and will be completely once subways lease runs out. Anyone know the exact plans for the location, and if the old oconnells will be incorporated as well? i hears something about a commuter lot for OU but not too sure

Default Re: SIAP- SE corner of Jenkins and Lindsey

A while back, quite a while now, plans were announced for a mixed development in the future, so set start date. In the original announcement, whatever ultimately happens there will replace everything on that whole corner, including where the O'Connell's sits.

University owns that entire parcel of land- including old O'Connell's. They also own a good number of the houses south of that location. Some of those have been turned into the new commuter lot, but OU is aggressively buying up the houses around that area.

My guess is that it will be turned into surface parking for the short-term, but the regents are looking to put up new athletic housing. I think somewhere in the ballpark of 300-500 units. It might go there- it's been a bit since i read the regent's reports- but i think they are looking to locate it behind the Bud, or even tear down on of the older athletic dorms. It's an apartment-style project, so it will take up some space. That might knock out the lot behind the Bud. Along with losing parking around the Huff for the new chill plant, I think parking is the surest bet.

Quote Originally Posted by twade View Post
    My guess is that it will be turned into surface parking for the short-term, but the regents are looking to put up new athletic housing. I think somewhere in the ballpark of 300-500 units. It might go there- it's been a bit since i read the regent's reports- but i think they are looking to locate it behind the Bud, or even tear down on of the older athletic dorms. It's an apartment-style project, so it will take up some space. That might knock out the lot behind the Bud. Along with losing parking around the Huff for the new chill plant, I think parking is the surest bet.
    That would be nice, because i think a lot about that size wouldnt do much to dampen the horrible commuter parking situation on campus (taking out half of the huff parking lot doesnt make things any better either!) But speaking of that "chill" plant your talking about, what exactly is it? There was a rumor on campus they were gonna build a lazy river or something, but i havent seen anything official on that either. They never really made a public announcement i feel

Just found an article on it. guess i was wrong :-)

OUDaily.com | Parking space loss leaves students angry

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    That would be nice, because i think a lot about that size wouldnt do much to dampen the horrible commuter parking situation on campus (taking out half of the huff parking lot doesnt make things any better either!) But speaking of that "chill" plant your talking about, what exactly is it? There was a rumor on campus they were gonna build a lazy river or something, but i havent seen anything official on that either. They never really made a public announcement i feel
    As to the lazy river, at one time a bit back there was discussion of a water park down by Huff n Puff, but that went away about as quickly as it peeked over a fence.

The aquatic center is at a stand still. The original plans called for a lazy river, but that idea has basically been shelved. The administration put it up to a vote; it passed, but not by enough to convince the big donors that were going to carry most of the burden. (the vote was for a student fee to help maintain the facility). Boren has shelved the aquatic facility- which is now mostly facilities for a D1 women's swimming and diving team- until the economy gets better. The project would also add locker room space to the Huff and put a few other little nice things.

My understanding is that the plant has to do with the water system on campus. Hot water, cold water, all kinds of water stuff. I believe it functionally acts like a hot water heater for a good part of the campus. A new pool would require a much larger facility- thus the plant.

On parking...go to lloyd noble. After I moved out of the fraternity house- super nice to be that close- i started parking at lloyd noble. As long as you spend trying to find a commuter spot, the trolley can have you on campus. It sounds weird, but parking farther away actually helps.

I was told by OU A&E that the aquatic center is currently on hold but here are some renderings:
    Main Entrance (east side of Huffman)

View looking NW

Inside

The outdoor pool is not part of the current aquatic center plans but could be added in the future on the south side where that outdoor seating is located (along Jenkins). The new utility plant will be located on the northside of the Huffman and has to be finished before the aquatics center can be built. A renovation/expansion of the existing Huffman could be part of a 'Phase II' along with the outdoor pool, with the indoor rec pool, locker rooms, and indoor lap/competition pool part of 'Phase I'.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I was told by OU A&E that the aquatic center is currently on hold but here are some renderings:
    Main Entrance (east side of Huffman)

View looking NW

Inside

The outdoor pool is not part of the current aquatic center plans but could be added in the future on the south side where that outdoor seating is located (along Jenkins). The new utility plant will be located on the northside of the Huffman and has to be finished before the aquatics center can be built. A renovation/expansion of the existing Huffman could be part of a 'Phase II' along with the outdoor pool, with the indoor rec pool, locker rooms, and indoor lap/competition pool part of 'Phase I'.
    that is insane! now just add a few parking garages, and i would have nothing to complain about

that is insane! now just add a few parking garages, and i would have nothing to complain about
    The parking lot on the south side of the Huffman could be converted to a garage and probably will be if they end up building more student housing at the SE corner of Lindsey & Jenkins and with the new aquatics center and utility plant taking up the majority of spaces in the lots north and east of the Huffman.

12. Default Re: SIAP- SE corner of Jenkins and Lindsey

I heard that corner was going to be a parking garage, but thats just a rumor, OU was going to sell season ticket holders game day parking spots in it as well. Even some of the students could buy a spot. Dunno if thats true or not.

The aquatics center could be real, has anybody seen the big construction going on in that parking lot, just south of the stadium? That rendition looks just like that spot, most of that parking lot is closed off, and they have moved a tremendous amount of dirt and have a huge hole there now, so they be building a new aquatic center .

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
    I heard that corner was going to be a parking garage, but thats just a rumor, OU was going to sell season ticket holders game day parking spots in it as well. Even some of the students could buy a spot. Dunno if thats true or not.

The aquatics center could be real, has anybody seen the big construction going on in that parking lot, just south of the stadium? That rendition looks just like that spot, most of that parking lot is closed off, and they have moved a tremendous amount of dirt and have a huge hole there now, so they be building a new aquatic center .
    Not yet. What they are doing now is building a new central plant to accompany the current plant at Felgar & Jenkins. The aquatics center is on hold but will probably start construction sometime in late 2011/early 2012 if they can secure some key donations for the project.

Thread Information