Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adventure District Rail Line

Default Adventure District Rail Line

The City recently commissioned a feasibility study for an Adventure District Line.

See full report.

Executive Summary
    This report examines the feasibility of providing some form of transit service along the existing Adventure District Line (ADL), a railroad line that runs south from the Adventure District in northeast Oklahoma City. Currently the Oklahoma Railway Museum (ORM) runs excursion trains along the alignment using heritage locomotives and passenger cars. There is an interest in connecting this line into downtown Oklahoma City and upgrading the service in the future to a commuter rail or streetcar operation.

This report describes and evaluates conceptual alternatives for expanded use of the ADL for rail transit. The ADL rail corridor is 4.5-mile long and runs from Washington Park east of downtown Oklahoma City (OKC) to NE 50th Street in OKC’s Adventure District. The Central Oklahoma Transportation and Parking Authority (COTPA) owns the portion of the ADL corridor shown as Segments 1 and 2 in Figure ES-1. Union Pacific Railroad (UP) owns the railroad right-of-way shown as Segment 3 in Figure ES-1. The ORM operates weekend and special event excursion train service on Segment 1 of the ADL corridor. The UP leases Segment 2 of the ADL corridor from COTPA to provide freight service to two local businesses on this segment. A western extension of this corridor, from Washington Park to Bricktown or the Intermodal Hub in downtown OKC, labeled Segment 3 on Figure ES-1, could add an additional 0.7 to 1.2 miles to the corridor.

Four conceptual alternatives were developed to provide a basis for comparing operational characteristics, evaluating feasibility, and providing cost estimates. The following conceptual alternatives were studied.
    • Extended Excursion Alternative: Extend the existing excursion operation to Bricktown
    • Upgraded Excursion Alternative: Extend the existing excursion operation to Bricktown or the Intermodal Hub and upgrade all track and systems. Includes three terminus options:
      - Option A: Direct Connection to Intermodal Hub
      - Option B: Reverse Access to Intermodal Hub
      - Option C: Bricktown Terminus[/INDENT]
    • DMU/Commuter Rail Alternative: Upgrade all tracks and systems to accommodate a diesel mobile unit (DMU) vehicle that would provide weekday peak hour commuter rail service and connect directly to the Intermodal Hub
    • Modern Streetcar Alternative: Upgrade all tracks and systems to accommodate a modern streetcar that would operate as an extension of the Downtown Modern Streetcar.

Default Re: Adventure District Rail Line

I get a 404 error when I clink on the report link...

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    I get a 404 error when I clink on the report link...
    Thanks for letting me know.

Should be corrected now.

Great news.

The results of this study confirm the fact that the best routing option for connecting the Adventure Line, as well as future commuter rail service from Del City/Midwest City/Tinker, to the Intermodal Hub is by way of the North Bricktown Rail Corridor and a new southerly rail spur for directly accessing Santa Fe Station. It is made clear in the study that Extended Excursion Alternative A is far superior to Alternative B, which would require back-in maneuvering on one of BNSF's active mainlines and result in significant delays and additional capital and operating costs. The recommendations echo those of the Intermodal Transportation Hub Study, which also determined the North Bricktown Rail Corridor and southerly rail spur as the best routing alternative for service to and from Santa Fe Station for commuter rail service between Del City/Midwest City/Tinker and Oklahoma City.

The study specifically recommends coordinated planning for any parking garage proposed for the North Bricktown Parking Lot to ensure any new parking garage facility does not prevent the recommended routing and southerly rail spur proposed under Extended Excursion Alternative A.

The fact that rail transit design engineers and planners for URS Corporation have confirmed what intermodal hub design engineers and planners for Jacobs Engineering previously determined should put to rest the question of which is the best routing option to and from Santa Fe Station for both the Adventure Line and the Midwest City Line.

From the study:

Recommendations/Conclusions

Based on this initial review of the existing conditions in the corridor and what would be needed to upgrade the service, there are no major obstacles to implementing any of the alternatives examined in this study. The largest obstacle would be identification of funding both for capital improvements and for ongoing operating costs. The following describes the general findings. These would be the same for all of the alternatives.

• Trains can currently operate in Segments 1 and 2, but would be limited to 10 mph.
    • Rail, signaling, and communication systems would all need to be upgraded to provide faster service. Obtaining access to Segment 3 ROW from UP would be required to extend rail service into Segment 3.
    • UP’s expired lease with COTPA for Segment 2 could provide an opportunity for COTPA to negotiate access to UP’s ROW in Segment 3.
    • Segment 3 needs new rail installed.

There are several important differences among the alternatives as far as their suitability for service into downtown Oklahoma City. Table 19 summarizes the key findings and the important differences among the alternatives studied.

Extended Excursion Alternative

The Extended Excursion alternative would be the most affordable option. The Extended Excursion alternative would only include new track in Segment 3, minimal repairs to track in Segments 1 and 2 to accommodate safe operation at 10 miles per hour, and would not require new vehicles or a new maintenance facility.

With only three stations and service only every 90 minutes on Thursdays through Sundays, the Extended Excursion alternative would be a very limited service. However, it could be considered as a first step in a phased corridor improvement plan leading toward commuter rail or streetcar service in the future.

Upgraded Excursion Alternative

Improving the track, signaling, and communication equipment to a level sufficient to provide higher speed service into downtown would be the next most affordable option. The Upgraded Excursion alternative would not require new vehicles or a new maintenance facility. It could share some track with UP freight operations, if needed. The Upgraded Excursion alternative could be considered as a next step in a phased corridor improvement plan once excursion service is extended to Bricktown.

The connection to the Intermodal Hub included in Options A and B would cost approximately $10 million more than terminating at a new Bricktown station, as in Option C. The connection would include a new overcrossing structure and relocation of the BNSF tracks on the BNSF structure adjacent to the Intermodal Hub. A direct connection to the Intermodal Hub would be an important feature for a transit service like a commuter rail or a streetcar. However, an excursion service is fundamentally different from other transit services, because it does not operate during peak travel times and it is not used by passengers as a means to travel from point A to point B. Therefore, its connecting to other regional transportation services via the Intermodal Hub is not critical to its success.
    It is likely not worth spending the extra $10 million dollars to connect directly to the Intermodal Hub at this time. However, if upgrading this service to a commuter rail service in the future is desired, Option A provides the best route for connecting to the Intermodal Hub. It is important that coordination begin early in order to prevent the planned parking structure from prohibiting this routing in the future.

Option B, which would require the train to stop and reverse direction in order to access the Intermodal Hub would require passengers to wait on-board during a ten-minute brake inspection prior to entering the Intermodal Hub. This would also result in higher operating costs due to the longer travel time. This would not be a feasible option for providing service to the Intermodal Hub. With Option C, passengers would get off the train at the new Bricktown station and the Intermodal Hub would be a ten-minute walk away.

Please note that Pete's link above is only to the 25-page Executive Summary for the study. The entire study is 125 pages in length and contains considerable more details and analysis.

Where can one find the full report online?

Here's the full report:

Adventure Line Feasibility Study

Also, here's a link to the July 12th COTPA Board meeting where rail transit advocates voiced their concerns about a private parking garage proposal that would place the facility directly in the path of the rail spur that the Adventure Line Feasibility Study and Intermodal Transportation Hub Study recommend as the best option for connecting the Adventure Line and Midwest City Line to Santa Fe Station.

July 12, 2013 Potential Conflict with Rail Line - Parking Garage Discussion in OKC - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Here's the full report:

Adventure Line Feasibility Study
    Which meeting is that from? The link goes to a dead end because it's one of the blind-created SIRE links.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Which meeting is that from? The link goes to a dead end because it's one of the blind-created SIRE links.
    MAPS 3 Citizens Advisory Board, Thursday July 25, 2013, 10:10 AM.
    SIRE Public Access
    Agenda Item XI.

The collection of visitor assets that OKC now possesses is turning us into a regional destination and the next logical step is to tie those assets together. It doesn’t take much imagination to see for example that youth groups coming to town for the Riversport Adventures might also be interested in riding a restored train and visiting the OK Railway Museum, the OKC Zoo or even take in an Imax film at the Science Museum (Omniplex).

The same could be said of adults who are coming to town to enjoy one of our many downtown amenities for a weekend, they too might be interested in the railway museum or even taking in a horse race. It would be a great way for visitors who are staying at a downtown hotel to experience another part of our city without having to drive.

The Adventure District Line (ADL) would be an excellent way to start tying the Bricktown and the AD together. Hopefully funding can be found to get the extended excursion ADL started

12. Default Re: Adventure District Rail Line

This is great news to see some thought going into this. Connecting the Adventure District would be huge to help tie the main attractions together. The nice thing in all of this is that it is using mostly existing track. I plopped it into my commuter rail network map (https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...20889,0.222988) to see how it would fit and it really helps to tie in NE OKC. My only concern would be walking distance from the Omniplex, Zoo, and Remington Park to the train station. I know they are looking at options for maybe making this a street car system, but I think the DMUs would be the best option. Perhaps we could see a street car/tram system put in along 50th/Grand Blvd all the way to the Cowboy Hall of Fame (yes I'm using the old names dagnabit LOL) to help tie it all in.

It would seem logical that another station be put in around 23rd street if this is going to evolve to a commuter rail setup, but we also need to look at reinvesting in that area to help ensure this doesn't turn into the Red Line in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    but we also need to look at reinvesting in that area to help ensure this doesn't turn into the Red Line in Chicago.
    I ride my bike on the bike path that parallels the rail line and holy cow--I previously had no idea that kind of poverty existed in Oklahoma City.

Is this just being built to shuttle tourist between downtown and the Zoo? How many riders a day is that going to generate?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Is this just being built to shuttle tourist between downtown and the Zoo? How many riders a day is that going to generate?
    Good point, Kerry. OKC isn't ready for transit that is strictly tourist oriented.

Before jumping aboard the negative choo-choo you should at the minimum read the above posts from Pete and Hutch and maybe even the feasibility report itself.

The extended excursion line was just one of four options outlined in the feasibility study for an Adventure District Line that was commissioned by the city.

This report examines the feasibility of providing some form of transit service along the existing Adventure District Line (ADL), a railroad line that runs south from the Adventure District in northeast Oklahoma City. Currently the Oklahoma Railway Museum (ORM) runs excursion trains along the alignment using heritage locomotives and passenger cars. There is an interest in connecting this line into downtown Oklahoma City and upgrading the service in the future to a commuter rail or streetcar operation.

The feasibility study didn’t get into financing and I can’t speak for the ORM but if they want to upgrade the line to bring the excursion trains into downtown I am certainly not going to knock them.

There's more to this than the zoo; there's also Remington Park and other attractions in the Adventure District. This might be a cool deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Only tourists go to the Zoo?
    No, but how many metro residents are going to drive to downtown OKC so they can catch a train to the zoo area - then transfer to a shuttle bus to actually get to the Zoo, Remington Park, The Cowboy Hall of Fame or other places? They can be at the Zoo with its free parking faster than they can wait for a train. For commuter rail we should focus on getting people to work 5 days a week and let them worry about their Saturday trip to the zoo on their own.

Now if this is just going to be a ride and not an actually transportation system then that is a different story. I have a lot of ideas on how to make it a fun attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    I ride my bike on the bike path that parallels the rail line and holy cow--I previously had no idea that kind of poverty existed in Oklahoma City.
    And these aren't the most poverty-stricken ares of town... the area right around the stockyards and a few other spots on the south side are even worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Before jumping aboard the negative choo-choo you should at the minimum read the above posts from Pete and Hutch and maybe even the feasibility report itself.

The extended excursion line was just one of four options outlined in the feasibility study for an Adventure District Line that was commissioned by the city.

The feasibility study didn’t get into financing and I can’t speak for the ORM but if they want to upgrade the line to bring the excursion trains into downtown I am certainly not going to knock them.
    I haven't read the full report, but I once drove the entire line with a representative of ORM. They are a great organization, but there's no way they could afford to upgrade the line themselves, and they would need the City's assistance in working with UP and its industrial customers at NE 8th to be able to use the full line.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    I see the Adventure Line as a downtown amenity as much as anything. It would connect downtown residents to the Zoo, National Cowboy & Western Museum, Remington Park, National Softball Hall of Fame, 45th Infintry Museum, Oklahoma Military Department, Metro Tech, Oklahoma Railway Museum, Cinemark Tinseltown theater, Lincoln Park Golf Course, and our family's favorite -- the Oklahoma Science Museum.

If you are a tourist in OKC, you are pretty certain going to go downtown. This line would connect you to all of these other destinations without requiring you to use a car. If you live or work downtown, it puts all of those destinations within reach -- car free.
    don't forget the sonic and mcdonalds...

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    No, but how many metro residents are going to drive to downtown OKC so they can catch a train to the zoo area - then transfer to a shuttle bus to actually get to the Zoo, Remington Park, The Cowboy Hall of Fame or other places? They can be at the Zoo with its free parking faster than they can wait for a train. For commuter rail we should focus on getting people to work 5 days a week and let them worry about their Saturday trip to the zoo on their own.

Now if this is just going to be a ride and not an actually transportation system then that is a different story. I have a lot of ideas on how to make it a fun attraction.
    read the report .. then comment

This is not a proposal to do something immediately. It is a study commissioned as part of the transit hub acquisition (someone correct me if I am wrong on that) to assess the feasibility of the Adventure Line. It was included as part of MAPS3 because it is transit related. I think it is a great idea and something we could do relatively inexpensively (relatively being the key word).

Yes it will probably start out as a tourist/excusrion line; but it can also function very well as a commuter line for the people who live along it. There are many people in NE OKC that could use this to get to their jobs in downtown. A station at 23rd Street, 10th Street, and 4th Street would provide a mass transit option for an underserved population - many of whom are dependent on transit. (This is also the reason I suggest extending a future 23rd St Streetcar to the rail underpass to provide another linkage to other locations.) This is also why I think the service needs to operate faster than 10 mph - if it is speed limited, then it can only be a tourist excursion.

I think the DMU service using a rebuilt south leg of the wye into Santa Fe station is the way to go eventually. The DMU's can operate on the same track at higher speeds once the right of way is upgraded. To contain costs initially, instead of purchasing new DMU's right away, look into leasing Rail Diesel Cars from TRE like the Denton County Transit Authority did for their A-Train service. IIRC DCTA's new Stadler DMU's were around $7 million each and leasing might be a way to spread the cost out since the infrastructure upgrades are really needed up front to make this a viable operation. Long term, I don't think crawling along at 10-20 mph would garner the ridership to make this succesful and I think it defintely needs to get to a platform at the Santa Fe Depot as soon as possible. It will probably be done in a few phases with Phase I being the track and signal upgrades and a stop in Bricktown - use ORM equipment initially; Phase II building the trestle to extend the line to the Santa Fe depot/transit hub - lease RDC's to increase frequency; Phase III new DMU's.

The only issue I see right now is if conventional rail (excrsion or DMU) vehicles are used, how do patrons get to the various attraction in the Adventure District. On many days one could walk to the Zoo, Softball complex, and probably the 45th Museum and Remington Park; but walking to the Cowboy Museum or Tinseltown isn't within the realm of reasonable expectation. There will need to be some kind of last mile service if the Adventure Line ends at 50th Street Station.

On a side note, the Oklahoma Railway Museum has a very nice master plan for the facility. I am a member of ORM and would love to see this master plan come to fruition.Proposed Plan for ORM | Oklahoma City Railway Museum

great job by steve covering this report

Thread Information