Widgets Magazine

Thread: Citadel Broadcasting files for bankruptcy

Default Citadel Broadcasting files for bankruptcy

Today there is news that Citadel broadcasting has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy, I wonder if there is going to be changes at the stations here in the city, maybe WKY will switch back to talk radio, or maybe one of the other station will switch formats.

Default Re: Citadel Broadcasting files for bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Today there is news that Citadel broadcasting has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy, I wonder if there is going to be changes at the stations here in the city, maybe WKY will switch back to talk radio, or maybe one of the other station will switch formats.
    Doubtful. Most people think corporate bankruptcy spells the end for a corporation. It is unlikely you will see any changes. If any are seen, possibly a station or two being sold.

The Internet and the iPOD are bringing down the radio industry along with the newspapers.

Maybe they'll close/sell KTOK and get the Rock Station reject Mark Shannon off the air.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Maybe they'll close/sell KTOK and get the Rock Station reject Mark Shannon off the air.
    Citadel doesn't own KTOK. Even if they did, it would be very unlikely they would change formats. They have been talk for over 30 years. Even before talk radio was popular.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth View Post
    Citadel doesn't own KTOK. Even if they did, it would be very unlikely they would change formats. They have been talk for over 30 years. Even before talk radio was popular.
    I realized just after my posting that I had the wrong Company, my bad. Just as there was a ray of hope, it's snatched from my hands

I would love to see a return of local ownership of radio stations. Repetition and too much advertising is what is truly killing broadcast radio.

A couple of days ago I was making a trip across the metro and every channel was on commericals. If it was not for my IPOD I would just turn off my radio and listen to the road noise.

Isn't The Spy operating under a lease agreement from Citadel? I wonder how this will effect them?

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    KTOK belongs to Clear Channel.

10. Default Re: Citadel Broadcasting files for bankruptcy

From what I've read on the bankruptcy, probably not a lot will change; they're not even shedding their CEO.

Citadel, when it bought ABC Radio, put several stations into trust, including the two at the far end of the dial (104.9 and 105.3). They have since regained control of Wild 104.9. However, KINB (The Spy) remains in trust and would theoretically be the first station to be dealt if circumstances demanded. However, according to the Gazette piece last week, there's going to be a buyer in 2010 anyway: Ferris himself.

Thread Information