Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kickingbird Golf Course

Default Kickingbird Golf Course

From edmond.gov:

An anticipated reopening date for the KickingBird Golf buildings is March 2023. Opening of the turf areas will be determined by conditions.

“This project will have an Edmond Community focus and is the largest capital improvement project in the course’s history,” said Director of Golf Brian Soerensen. “We are celebrating our 50th Anniversary this year and we feel this project will position us for success for the next 50 years.”

The transformational renovation of Kickingbird will include the following:
    • Demolition of existing clubhouse and replacement with a new 13,384 square foot clubhouse
    • Construction of a new 6,670 square foot tournament/banquet hall
    • Addition of a 7,252 square foot underground cart barn
    • Expansion of the driving range tee area
    • Addition of a short game practice facility
    • Rebuilding all 18 greens and seeding them with bent grass
    • Redesigning Hole #9 and Hole #4 to accommodate the tournament/banquet hall
    • Replacing the irrigation system throughout the course
    • Numerous small improvements made to tee boxes and bunkers

It is estimated that KickingBird Golf buildings will reopen to the public in March 2023. Opening of the turf areas will be determined by conditions. Further details will be added as the reopening date nears.

Default Re: Kickingbird Golf Course

Live down the street, looks great driving by.

this is transformational ... for this course ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored UCO Student View Post
    Live down the street, looks great driving by.
    This is a great project and I do love it I just wish they’d replace the chain link fence with a wrought iron or stone one.

It’s always been one of my favorite public courses and where I first learned to play. Fun layout that’s forgiving for people who suck at golf (me included) without being boring and is almost always in excellent shape especially for how much play it gets. These upgrades are a long time coming and I’m really glad to see it happening especially after two of the other popular public courses around Edmond closed over the last decade(Coffee Creek and Silver Horn). Looks like they’re going to knock this out of the park!

The course and clubhouse are slated to open June 30th.

The Mule group will be running the restaurant and providing the catering for the new events center.

There will be two bars: one in the main restaurant and another between holes 9 and 10.

Should be a draw for the entire community in addition to golfers. Really a nice project.

That chain link fence is looking shoddy and distracts from the improvements. Are there plans to replace or improve the fencing? I see they installed rod iron but only at the entrance.

9. Default Re: Kickingbird Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The course and clubhouse are slated to open June 30th.

The Mule group will be running the restaurant and providing the catering for the new events center.

There will be two bars: one in the main restaurant and another between holes 9 and 10.

Should be a draw for the entire community in addition to golfers. Really a nice project.
    And the restaurant (open to the non-golfing public) will be open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

It took longer to add turn lanes to 2nd and Bryant than it did to completely demolish and rebuild and entire golf clubhouse complex.

Happy to see the Mule group take over this food and beverage op.

Quote Originally Posted by crownheights View Post
    That chain link fence is looking shoddy and distracts from the improvements. Are there plans to replace or improve the fencing? I see they installed rod iron but only at the entrance.
    I agree. I know that wouldn’t be cheap but surely the city and planners had to have noticed how out of place it looks. Maybe they can add it at some point in the future. I’ve emailed them before it about and I’m going to do it again. While they do that maybe they can add sidewalk on the east side of Bryant AVE.

The clubhouse looks great! I will be curious about any big changes to the actual golf course. Hopefully Hefner will build something similar.

^

Hefner won't be quite as elaborate, as Kickingbird had a huge budget.

But still should be very nice and a big step up from the small, dated clubhouse and snack bar.

It looks great but I am not a fan of the front entrance design, it makes me think that tall design is supposed to be a school or something

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    The clubhouse looks great! I will be curious about any big changes to the actual golf course. Hopefully Hefner will build something similar.
    all new greens (some shape but all drainage base and irrigation) also new irrigation on every fairway i believe and a few hole changes .. (i don't remember all but one that comes to mind right away is #9 is now a good par 4 instead of the short super up hill par 5 )

Parking is going to be an issue when they are busy on weekends. A foursome usually means four cars showing up and there aren't any more than a 100 parking spots. That's 25-30 tee times....Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    Parking is going to be an issue when they are busy on weekends. A foursome usually means four cars showing up and there aren't any more than a 100 parking spots. That's 25-30 tee times....Yikes
    I count about 230.

The south portion of the lot is covered it mud so it's difficult to see all the spaces; plus about 50 more close to the tennis courts.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 1.51.48 PM.jpg
    There are actually 40-50 more spaces than before...

HAPPY TO REPORT that driving down Danforth just now... a brand new Black Wrought Iron Fence is being installed! It's at the entrances for now, but feel they will continue replacing all the chain link... thank GOODNESS!

It looks GREAT!

I took these a couple of days ago.

The last two are of The Lookout, the bar and grill to be operated by the Mule group which is located at the east end of the building. The first photo is looking in from the north (facing Danforth) and the second is from the south, facing the course. Because the clubhouse sits atop a significant hill, the view from The Lookout over the course and all the way to downtown is going to be amazing. At the far east end is a large covered patio. This place is going to draw a lot more people than just golfers. They are getting close and I'll be taking inside photos soon.

Blog Entries

That is really looking nice! Looking forward to seeing in person (and playing and eating).

When is it supposed to re-open?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    When is it supposed to re-open?
    Last I heard was 6/30.

Thread Information